AE IB15 Open baffle sub experiment

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
Re: AE IB15 Open baffle sub experiment
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:08 pm »
if you do the second, IMO the those leading edges from the side supports need to go away as that will have a noticeable effect

jk@home

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2010, 11:13 pm »
Hey Russel, actually what I am going for is just the two bass drivers, as this will be used to add a little low end to my modded MMGs.

Hey Hebrew, yes what I was thinking was to have all the side material behind the baffle. Thanks

jk@home

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:00 pm »
Here's that mega buck 6 figure speaker from the  Lotus Group:

Interesting how they support only one side, in a mirror image. Any thoughts why?

Love the front view, but don't think my carpenter skills can take me there.

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:50 pm »
If I were guessing about why the mirrored inner walls only, I would suggest that they needed a support of some kind, and that only having one on the inside delays when the waves from each speaker will reach each other, towards the listener in the middle.

They sure do look nice!

Rudolf

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm »
Here's that mega buck 6 figure speaker from the  Lotus Group ...
Interesting how they support only one side, in a mirror image. Any thoughts why?

Because those mega bucks are acquired by eye - not by ear. Most every aspect of the back side design is telling you that. Such loudspeakers are not bought with brains involved. :roll:

Rudolf
www.dipolplus.de

jk@home

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:51 pm »
It looks like something that could be easily tried with the test baffle, for any audible differences.

As for the price, if that included all the front end "high end" equipment and amps, along with a custom set up service, it MAY be justified. :green:

I always wondered why more manufacturers don't offer a "turn key" type matched package. I  remember years ago, Thiel partnered with some amp maker, with such an offer.

Saurav

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:32 am »
My guess: to increase effective baffle width around the woofers and add some extra structural support, without generating too many cavity resonances (which might happen with 'wings' on both sides).

jk@home

« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:23 am »
It will be interesting to try. Since my subs will go right in between the MMGs and the side walls, by placing the side supports on the wall side, I would think the MMGs will "see" the supports as part of that wall.

John_E_Janowitz

• www.aespeakers.com
« Reply #28 on: 2 Nov 2010, 05:36 am »
Having the brace/wing on only one side has the same effect as offsetting the drivers on the baffle.  You are essentially extending the baffle on one side but not the other.  Centering drivers on the baffle gives you the most output on the low end.  Offsetting the drivers about 1/3 will smooth the response the most.  It's much the same as offsetting a tweeter on a baffle to minimize the baffle step/diffraction effects.

If you have used The Edge to model, do one with the woofer in the center of  baffle. Then shift the woofer around.  You'll see the big bump right before the rolloff comes down as you move the woofer off center, but the following dip above it also comes back up.

John

jk@home

« Reply #29 on: 2 Nov 2010, 01:41 pm »
Thanks John, that makes sense.

I’ll try what you suggest when I get around to trying the Edge program. This week got crazy, no “fun stuff” allowed.  :(