Coltrane???

truant

John Coltrane
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2004, 02:47 am »
don't forget COLTRANE & ELLINGTON and JOHN COLTRANE & JOHNNY HARTMAN. Some consider the recording with Johnny Hartman one of the best jazz recordings period. He was the only vocalist Coltrane recorded with I believe. These are discs to take to that desert island should that ever occur.

tjandriesen

Coltrane???
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2004, 12:08 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered "Love Supreme" and look forward to giving it a listen as a starting point. I suspect there's more 'trane in my future.

I'd echo the comments on the latest the latest Coulmbia/Legacy remaster of "Kind of Blue" by Miles (with Coltrane). It puts the majority of my SACDs to shame. Interesting comments in the liner note about the fact that most of the previous recording were off key because the tape they were mastered from was made on a machine running slightly off speed.

Advance Jazz - I'm new enough not to be sure what is "advanced" but get the sense you might be discribing music like "Thelonious Himself" (JVC XRCD). What "happens" next isn't what you would anticipate "happening" - as you listen. It's all at once slightly confusing and a bit amazing - like a storyline twist and the surprise ending of a story you're sure to know the ending to.

tjandriesen

Coltrane???
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2004, 12:08 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered "Love Supreme" and look forward to giving it a listen as a starting point. I suspect there's more 'trane in my future.

I'd echo the comments on the latest the latest Coulmbia/Legacy remaster of "Kind of Blue" by Miles (with Coltrane). It puts the majority of my SACDs to shame. Interesting comments in the liner note about the fact that most of the previous recording were off key because the tape they were mastered from was made on a machine running slightly off speed.

Advance Jazz - I'm new enough not to be sure what is "advanced" but get the sense you might be discribing music like "Thelonious Himself" (JVC XRCD). What "happens" next isn't what you would anticipate "happening" - as you listen. It's all at once slightly confusing and a bit amazing - like a storyline twist and the surprise ending of a story you're sure to know the ending to.