Riding the Super Fly bull at the Zu RMAF 2010

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Riding the Super Fly bull at the Zu RMAF 2010
« on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:12 am »
The guys at Zu were kind enough to plug in our little TWO.2 after hours last night and we dialed the TWOs all the way up, pegged iTunes at 90% volume, and went to town.

For me, this sport has always been accessing another realm of sensory excitement.   Virtue is built on a handful of formative experiences including listening to Kestrels in Sound by Singer in the early ‘90s.   Getting hooked on Tripath through the Bel Canto Evo2.2.  Discovering batteries in the GR room at RMAF last year.  And I’m feeling a something similarly powerful after riding the Super Fly bull.   

Jason and Cami joined me on the 4th floor and we listened to Johnny Cash, Techno, Diana Krall and a few other really dynamic tracks…  The detail was amazing.  The presentation, exciting.  Cathartic.  Loud.  Resolute.  Raw.  Edgy.  Wild.  Transporting.  The rebel yell. Like hearing “It’s My Life” at a disco with my brother in Elat, 20 years ago.  The thrill of a great workout without the exercise.

There are I'm sure many many speaker designers speaking quietly among themselves about the brash, in-your-faceness of the Zu sound.  How pro-audio drivers should not be invited to the living room.  How you need big mushy tubes to appreciate their more refined qualities.   

That may all be true (and hey, now that we’ve got the Dodd buffer on board, we can play that game too).  But I’ll go on record as a crazy guy who liked it raw.  Brash.  In my face.  Obnoxious.  Loud.   Man-cave stuff.  Fiancee not invited. 

Do any of you Zu owners have other thoughts to share about about riding thi
s bull?  Are all the models as resolute?   What do you think of the Virtue/Zu combination?   Do you prefer a soft-tube in the Dodd/Sensation?

Mariusz

Re: Riding the Super Fly bull at the Zu RMAF 2010
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:30 am »
Never heard the combo but hopefully soon I will.
But I am not going to lie. My intention from the start was pairing Zu Omens to some tube gear.
But that is the experience I had with other Zu setups at various places (tubes just worked better with Zu). But recently I was told by designer of similar design ( :wink:) that these pro drivers can take the punch and like to be push hard. Perhaps a perfect match for your buffered monoblocks :rock:

Gopher

Re: Riding the Super Fly bull at the Zu RMAF 2010
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2010, 06:37 pm »
I've listened to your TWO.2 with my Soul Superflys at length and agree that the pairing is quite pleasing, however I'm not sure I'd use words like edgy, brash and forward to describe the sound.

I felt it was energetic when appropriate but did just fine with the smaller, more intimate settings.  It's been a while since I've listened to the combo but perhaps I'll kidnap my dad's TWO.2 for the weekend and give it another whirl with my Zus.