OK newbies, I just picked up an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB and..........

orthobiz

I also sent a letter to Audio Technica about 4 complaints, the  anti-skate being one of them.
 Wayner

Wayner, the antiskate on the table is adjustable but just doesn't have enough oomph to do the trick? What is that red thing, anyway? And how is the red thing attached to the tonearm?

Paul

Wayner

Paul,

The anti-skate works, but not how I like it, so I did mod it. The "red thing" is a plastic bead with a rather large hole thru it. It is glued to the superstructure (permanent) member of the tonearm assembly. Using some very fine nylon fishing line, one end is tied to the platter side of the tonearm pivot assembly. The other end of the line drops thru the bead, thru the weight and is tied to the lip of the bead. This accomplishes 2 things. First, it add counterweight to the inward movement of the tonearm, and the way the weight is configured, consumes lots of radial tonearm travel, while not using lots of travel distance with the weight. A side benefit to this is that the weight does not swing back and forth as other anti-skate weights do like on the Project turntables. This thing should be my 4th patent, but I give it up for the betterment of vinyl  :lol:

W

orthobiz

So you are not using the native antiskate at all? Just the bead thing?

Paul

Wayner

Paul,

It appears that the anti-skating dial is simply connected to "nothing". I've included pictures of the insides, and unless I just can't see what'd going on, the F'ing dial doesn't do a thing. I've added enough weight to compensate for it anyway and I confident that it can play as well.

I was going to try the USB, but I need a B to B cable and I don't have one. I don't want to load the software into my computer as that usually will cause conflict with my Cakewalk Pro Audio stuff, so nothing to report on that. I did try the internal phono preamp and it sounded OK, but certainly not to the level of my Van Alstine Insight+ phono board.

There is a lot of stuff in this table.

Wayner

orthobiz

I've been on a bunch of elevators where the Door Close button works as well as that anti skate dial! Maybe the same designer...

Paul

Tom J

Wayner, could you re-post the pictures of your fix or emailing them to me.  have the same TT with the ineffective anti-skating. I'm pretty good with mechanical things, but I'm not sure the anti-skating issue is worth taking this thing apart.

Thanks, Tom.

Willem54

Hi Wayner,

Although its a long time ago, I came across the anti skate problem discussed here. I own two Technics SL-1200Mk2 and today arrived a brand new Audio Technica AT LP120-USB. It came fresh from the box and shows the following flaws;

The anti skate problem, exactly as you described happens on this one
The motor made some noise, it is much quieter now as I allowed it to run in for a few hours
The speed at 45 rpm is not spot on but a bit too slow, 33 rpm is o.k. Not a big problem but it should be spot on.
The tone arm, despite at its lowest point, 0, sits still too high, so cannot be set horizontal.

It is obvious this product can't even stand in the shadow of the SL1200 but I have bought it for digitalizing and to serve as an extra player in the room where my records are stored.

I have tried to see your pictures regarding the modification you made, but these pictures are no longer accessible. I don't want to go back to the store as all will show the same problems I fear.

Kind regards from Holland!

Willem.