Class D vs Class A, A/B

dflee

Re: Class D vs Class A, A/B
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:39 pm »
Really appreciate everyone's comments thus far. I am curious about D and would like to hear it sometime in my system.
Freo - Have you compared the Rowland with your Nak PA amps yet? Can you elaborate.
Has anyone done a side by side to A A/B and what have you concluded?

Thanks
Later
Don

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:45 pm »
Really appreciate everyone's comments thus far. I am curious about D and would like to hear it sometime in my system.
Freo - Have you compared the Rowland with your Nak PA amps yet? Can you elaborate.
Has anyone done a side by side to A A/B and what have you concluded?

Thanks
Later
Don

Not yet, Don,

As you know, the Legacy's need lots of watts to open up.  I'll try the Rowland vertically bi-amped to one of the Sig's sometime this weekend, and see how it goes feeding a mono source. 

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2010, 01:23 am »
Well, Don, here's the story:

The Rowland was not bad, BUT, was not all that great either.  The amp just did not sound quite right with the Legacy's.  Hard to put my finger on the issue, but it came across decidiedly as hi-fi sounding.

The Threshold STATIS-2 amp, OTOH, sounds outstanding with the Legacy's, even better than the PA-7's.  In fact, I would state that the Threshold STASIS is about as good as it gets amp-wise (assuming it's been properly restored).

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2010, 03:49 am »
Silly question...is there a Class C, and if not, why did 'they' skip a letter? 

The various amplifier classes just represent different ways of building amp circuits, and are more-or-less consecutive ... ie Class A is the simplest and was used at the turn of the 20th Century.

This is a simple explanation, but if that's all you want it's enough to get the concept.
Broadly speaking if you go down the list from A to B to C to D, the major refinement is all about better efficiency. With A, you can use one device (transistor, tube) to do all the work. It's "on" to some extent all the time.

With Class B, you use two devices and one works on the positive side of the signal, and hands off to the other which works on the negative side. When one device is working, the other rests. Class C is similar to Class B, but the two devices do not conduct during the entire 1/2 wave; both are "off" during a time when in Class B one would still be doing work. Again, the less time the device is doing work, the greater the efficiency. But with Class C, there is a gap where neither device is doing any work ... you can't really get a true sine wave out of a Class C device, so it's unsuitable for audio.

Class B is also somewhat unsuitable for audio, but by giving up a bit of efficiency and operating in Class A for small signal levels, it's inherent problems can be addressed. So, for audio, it's usually what is called Class AB; it still operates in Class B for most of the time and still gains some efficiency that way.

Class C is used in transmitting devices where the need for very high power means the efficiency is prized. Because RF amplifiers use fairly complex filtering anyway as they must work at a specific frequency, the filters can mitigate some of the distortion inherent in the design. There is also Classes E and F. Any other "classes" you might hear about are probably invented by the marketing department; the engineering department would probably put them in A, AB, or D.

Although I said earlier in my post that Class C is not suitable for audio, there is such a thing as a Class C audio amplifier in consumer products. Again, it's a situation where power and efficiency are the priority over sound quality. You have heard one of these devices, so you will quickly get a handle on it's characteristic sound.

Typically outputting 5~25 watts under battery power, Class C is commonly used in powered or electronic megaphones. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some Public Address or Stadium sound systems use class C (or perhaps straight Class B) but I don't know of any examples and can't say for sure either way.