PMC Speakers

maxboy00

PMC Speakers
« on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:51 pm »
First question posted on this site.

I have a Bryston 100B SST IA, driving a pair of Focal 826W speakers with a Rel R-505 sub, As of now the set up is in a small bedroom. And sounds good.

My question is this I plan on getitng a second pair of speakers and have a great interest in the PMC OB1i, but I'm rebuffed by the steep price point. Add to that the nearest dealer to me is 6hrs away so stopping by to listen to them is difficult. Is this speaker a good value and would it be considered a reference level speaker?

I like the speaker to be clear and precise particlarly in the mid-range.

Thanks for any comments,

Tim

jimdgoulding

Re: PMC Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:38 pm »
Have you seen their new Fact 8's?  Nice review and pics in Hifi+ magazine.

maxboy00

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:12 pm »
I have seen the Fact 8, but not that familiar w/it.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2011, 07:42 am »
Maxboy00 : If the OB-1i seems a bridge too far, why not consider the FB1i ?
If you like the PMC sound ( as I do ), the FB1i is PMC's most award-winning speaker, gets great reviews and is second to none in it's price category.There is still much to be said for a really good two-way. I've heard both of these PMC models, own the FB1i and would be hard-pressed to justify the extra money to upgrade to the OB1i. The FB1i is easy to live with, sounds great and looks good in a staid, British way.  Your Bryston will work well with them as well ( I run Bryston here ). Some feel that all PMC speakers are a little spendy ( probably wish they had a pair ) but those who like them like them a lot. I know I do.

D.

maxboy00

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2011, 05:09 pm »
Thanks for you post.

I agree the OB1i to really too much speaker for my listenig room (12' X 11') I was advised that the GB1i would be the best choice for this size room, but would perfer the FB1i.  Will the FB1i be to much for a small room?

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2011, 06:15 pm »
the FB1i or non i would be a great speaker for that room.It will give you a little extra bottom if needed.We tried a pair of AB2's in a 10x12 room with incredible results.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:51 pm »

I agree the OB1i to really too much speaker for my listenig room (12' X 11') I was advised that the GB1i would be the best choice for this size room, but would perfer the FB1i.  Will the FB1i be to much for a small room?

Maxboy,

The FB1i will work well in that room. I had a pair of FB1+s and they worked well in a room that was 13X11. They also worked in a room that was 26X13.

I would expect the GB1i to work very well in your 12X11 room also, if you end up going that route. Mainly depends on your listening 'style,' needs, and system in terms of going with the FB vs. the GB.

The OB1i will be too much for that room, and I'd only recommend going in that direction if you're planning on moving them to a much larger room in the near future.

- David.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:40 am »
Good advice being offered here by the other posters, Maxboy. The GB1i will work in your situation quite well but the FB1i is a substantial step up and will carry you through some major upgrades without being left behind if you choose to throw some more money at your system in the future. My FB1i's are set up in a room which could best be described as " challenging " and have been very easy to deal with in terms of placement,etc. As mclsound noted, the sound would be noticably fuller compared to the GB1i due to the bigger cabinets and additional length of the transmission line. If you do a lot of "low-level listening", you'll find the FB1i also sounds very good at lower volumes- this was a deal-breaker for me and this speaker was much better at this than the others I auditioned.  Your Bryston will have absolutely no issues driving them as loud as you would ever want ( I was driving mine without issue with a 70 WPC Arcam biamp system before I upgraded my amps ) in a room that size if you want to rock out too, my man.

D.

audioman999

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:22 am »
I am in almost the exact same predicament although my family room is 20'x15' and half of it is open to an open concept foyer, kitchen and eating area.  I'm looking to replace my Totem Model 1s with something with more base and also a step up quality wise.  i'm open to any recommendations but have been doing research on FB1i vs OB1i.  i have the same Bryston integrated amp to drive the speakers but would also be open to buying another Bryston amp to biamp the speakers. 

The OB1is seems to be >50% more my "local" dealer.  (>3 hr drive).  Do others feel it is worth the difference?

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:51 pm »
I agree with everyone about the PMC FB1 sounding truly good. 

I used to have a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano and upgraded to a pair of PMC OB1i in a fairly open 32L x13W x8.5H' room.  I auditioned a pair of PMC FB1+ and OB1+ in a fairly decent room @32' x 16'.  The FB1+ sounded clearer on the mid-range and has a little more extension on the lower bass region compared to the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home.  I truly like the full-range sound of the FB1+, however when I auditioned the OB1+, it has more of what the FB1+ with even clearer dynamic picture.  The OB1+ is a clear winner to my ears, so I extended my budget and bought the PMC OB1+. 

An upgrade to PMC OB1i was credited to the help of Ian Verdugo and PMC UK excellent service.  I wasn't aware that during that time PMC had an OB1i-series already out in the market.  In addition, PMC UK allowed PMC new owners to upgrade to the latest i-series speakers.  So when Ian Verdugo knew about my problem with the OB1+ wood veneering, he sent me a replacement speakers under warranty and upgraded my speaker to the current i-series.  That is pretty cool!  PMC stands' behind their products!

Having owned the OB1+ for a few months then upgrading to the OB1i (thanks PMC), there is a big difference in top end extension, smoothness and overall lively sound.  The new i-series gives you more creme up top that gives the music lively feeling which I didn't hear from the +-series.  It allows you to hear what the artists wants to convey.  Their style and emotions.  The i-series is not subtle change.  PMC did not just "hotrod" the old speakers, but they gave it a better enclosure, tweeters and crossover.  It is a totally different speakers.

My point is that the the i-series is a much better speakers for reference listening as compared to the +series.  Likewise, the OB1i is much clearer, cleaner, livelier sounding if the room and budget allows you to choose.  The after sales support is like Bryston; a no question, no hustle policy.  Let your ears decide. 

Here is the link to PMC FAQ.  It starts in "what speakers should I choose?"
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/contact/index.php?mode=viewFaq&jobvacancies_id=&faq_id=

Good luck!

mclsound

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
You should be able to find a good used pair of OB1 non"i" for around $2500 and the OB1i for around $4200

Diamond Dog

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:20 pm »
The OB1is seems to be >50% more my "local" dealer.  (>3 hr drive).  Do others feel it is worth the difference?

To my mind, it would really depend on where you're starting from. If I was replacing my FB1i's, I don't think the OB1i's would provide enough of an upgrade to justify the substantial price difference. If I was in your position I might feel differently. The OB1i is a really nice-sounding speaker but a bit much for my current listening area ( and I'm fond of two-ways as well ) and I've known people who've bought too much speaker for their rooms. It's not pretty visually or acoustically. I also stand in Levi's camp regarding the 1+ vs. 1i - I've heard both and I'd take the 1i hands-down - in fact I did.

D.

audioman999

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:15 am »
Seems like the OB1i is the popular recommendation.  Has anyone compared it with the new Fact8?

maxboy00

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:12 am »
Thanks to all who offered advice and comments,

I was unable to find a used FB1i pair, so I ended up selling my existing speakers and purchased a new pair, I received them this past SAT and I must say that it was an excellent choice. So far the FB1i are living up to the comments that had been posted, most suprising to me was how easy they were to place in the room, (altho I'm  still playing around with this.) and how they filled the room with sound. I listen to anything from metal to jazz, and so far I've been impressed, by how clear and accurate they are.

Thanks,

Tim

Diamond Dog

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:48 am »

Congratulations on your purchase, Tim ! They'll sound even better in a while after they break in a bit. Keep us posted. BTW - which finish did you choose?
 :thumb:

D.D.

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm »
Agreed!

Congratulations on your purchase, Tim ! They'll sound even better in a while after they break in a bit. Keep us posted. BTW - which finish did you choose?
 :thumb:

D.D.

maxboy00

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:47 pm »
Here is the system,

Aside from the FB1I, there is a Bryston B100 SST2, BCD-1 CD player and Arcam T31 tuner.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:57 pm »
Have you tried pulling them out from the walls a few feet?  Also replacing the clock with a turntable will improve SQ immensely.   :wink:

maxboy00

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:17 pm »
As of now I'm playing around w/placement. I would guess I'll end up have having the front of the speaker about 2' from the rear wall.

The clock stays, and there is no interest in getting a potter-wheel at this time. . .

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:26 am »
Of course I'm teasing about the clock, I have the same model and love it.  Speaker placement I never kid about (okay, mostly never).  Please do what you think sounds best, but if you're willing to experiment, try 3' or 4' out, you might very well be amazed at the resulting soundstage.  For something really radical, try 1/2 way out into the room with your listening chair against the opposite wall, I mean right up against it as close as possible.  This can work wonders with soundstaging in an untreated room such as yours, it also maximizes bass response.  Another down and dirty (e.g. without measurement techniques) placement strategy is the 1/3 - 1/5 rule, meaning 1/3 of the room length out and 1/5 of the width away from side walls.  It's not perfect, but will approximate a negative room mode placement and reduce boomy bass if that's a problem.  Just some fun things to play with if you feel like it.

Licorice platters and a potter's wheel are another circle, apols for polluting our enclosures circle no matter how much I love them.