Emotiva XDA-1 is here

srb

Re: Emotiva XDA-1 is here
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:05 am »
It looks like from the frequency response that is doesn't do high-rez :(
Frequency Response: 5Hz - 48kHz

You are confusing the maximum digital sampling rate (192KHz) with the frequency response of the analog output circuit.  Although theoretically a 192KHz sampling rate would be capable to reproduce an analog signal that extended to 96KHz (Nyquist frequency), most speakers and ears are limited to 20KHz or so.

The audible advantage of a high digital sampling rate recording lies in having additional data points to more accurately and smoothly reconstruct the the original analog signal.

Steve

mpaulsen

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:43 am »

You are confusing the maximum digital sampling rate (192KHz) with the frequency response of the analog output circuit.  Although theoretically a 192KHz sampling rate would be capable to reproduce an analog signal that extended to 96KHz (Nyquist frequency), most speakers and ears are limited to 20KHz or so.

The audible advantage of a high digital sampling rate recording lies in having additional data points to more accurately and smoothly reconstruct the the original analog signal.

Steve

Yep you're right; I mixed those up.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Jibara

« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2010, 06:02 pm »
I would like to know it's physical size as it is not stated on the web site.

Rocket_Ronny

17" wide
14" deep
1 3/4" high (faceplate)
2 1/4" high (with rubber feet)

see post #6
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preampdac&action=display&thread=12973&page=1

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2010, 06:47 pm »

17" wide
14" deep
1 3/4" high (faceplate)
2 1/4" high (with rubber feet)

Thank you.  :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:05 am »
:o Don't know if Emotiva would be up to this, but if there is sufficient interest, this would be a nice unit to place on an AC tour. :dunno:   

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:10 am »
:o Don't know if Emotiva would be up to this, but if there is sufficient interest, this would be a nice unit to place on an AC tour. :dunno:   

Anand.

Or I just buy one and do the tour.   :dunno:

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:11 am »
I really can't wait to get mine, I'll finally have my hifi up and running when it gets here. I can follow with a nice preamp if needed.

And as far as the SQ I have the ERC-1 cd player and it sounds fantastic. Really very very nice. And the XDA-1 is supposed to be the same dac from the player but beefed up to another level altogether so all I can imagine is pure ear candy, After 3 months of heavy use, the build quality of the player and remote continue to impress. Definitely buillt to last and look good doing it. All brushed aluminum and metal everywhere. I do, however, remove the silver trim pieces from the sides and then flush mount the screws. a VERY good looking unit once that's done.

I will also be following any XDA-1 mod threads  :icon_twisted: oh bring it on!
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 05:54 pm by Rclark »

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:12 am »
They actually have a try-out policy - "We are so confident in the quality of our products that we invite you to try them in your own home for 30 days. If you are not 100% satisfied for any reason, just call us to return your product and we'll refund your purchase price. It's that simple."

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #29 on: 29 Oct 2010, 11:55 am »
Looks impressive on screen. Meaningless until reality tested.

turkey

« Reply #30 on: 29 Oct 2010, 12:20 pm »
Looks impressive on screen. Meaningless until reality tested.

What's not to like? They use good parts, their products are well-engineered, this DAC has lots of useful features, and it's selling for a bargain price.

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:00 pm »

Anand.

Good idea! I personally won't take it upon myself due to 2 ongoing tours but if anyone wants to step in and do it .......be my guest. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:17 am »
From the Emotiva forum, seems like many are finding the volume control isn't useful (too loud too quick).

WARNING they're shipped with the volume control set at maximum!!   :o

srb

« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:12 am »
From the Emotiva forum, seems like many are finding the volume control isn't useful (too loud too quick).

WARNING they're shipped with the volume control set at maximum!!   :o

I posted this re: volume control in the XDA-1, V-DAC, Matrix DAC thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87564.msg878656#msg878656

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2010, 02:02 pm »
I've had my XDA-1 for about two weeks. I'm using it as a DAC only. The volume control is set to 80 for max output from the DAC. For $299.00 it is a pretty darn good DAC. For some very strange reason I get better results when the XDA-1 is hooked up to a dedicated CD player. Hooked up to a DVD/CD player the results are not as good. I've tried three different DVD/CD players. One Pioneer and two Oppo's. Now it's hooked up to an Ultec UCD 100 CD player. The results are very good. Kind of gave the old Ultec a noticible boost.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm »
I've had my XDA-1 for about two weeks. I'm using it as a DAC only. The volume control is set to 80 for max output from the DAC. For $299.00 it is a pretty darn good DAC. For some very strange reason I get better results when the XDA-1 is hooked up to a dedicated CD player. Hooked up to a DVD/CD player the results are not as good. I've tried three different DVD/CD players. One Pioneer and two Oppo's. Now it's hooked up to an Ultec UCD 100 CD player. The results are very good. Kind of gave the old Ultec a noticible boost.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Most DVD players will output 48kHz on CD as the clock is optimized for DVD.  I moved the old Oppo DV-980H down to the secondary basement system last night and will eventually get a DAC and use it for hi-rez with an HDMI audio de-embedder.  I also have an old Pioneer Elite CD recorder and a Pioneer LD player down there.  I had an old Micromega DAC down there and it was very sensitive to the transport used.  Since it only did 48kHz (it was 16 years old), I decided I'd like a DAC that can handle higher resolution formats and I let it go.  I'm glad that many are reported it is decent for the money as I don't use the system tons but want something that will sound good when I do.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2010, 02:57 pm »
Phil A:

I hooked the XDA-1 DAC  to an Oppo DV-980H. I really didn't hear much of a difference.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:10 pm »

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Does that boost include HDCD encoded discs?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #38 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:19 pm »
Haven't got a clue. I do have some HDCD discs. Really don't pay attention as to what I put in the player other than the artist and album title. Are HDCD discs still available?

Cheers
                                     Charle

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:21 pm »
Phil A:

I hooked the XDA-1 DAC  to an Oppo DV-980H. I really didn't hear much of a difference.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

Charles - thanks.  When I had my Micromega DAC it also was in the secondary bedroom system for a bit with the Oppo DV980H and a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD (which I sold a couple of months back as I was not using it), I preferred the Sony as a CD transport but the Oppo was pretty good.  I will be very happy with not much of difference in the basement system being that it will only be a handful of times at most I really listen to music during the year.  I just want to be able to hear decent playback and not put something on and immediately shut down the system due to it being and move back to the main system.  I like being able to listen to content on different systems but want something I can listen to.