Martin Logan Theos

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Martin Logan Theos
« on: 9 Oct 2010, 10:16 pm »

pbrstreetgang

Re: Martin Logan Theos
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:34 pm »
Why are their pricings so messed up? Is it really $1500 difference between the Ethos and Theos for a 200 watt plate amp? Even more going up the chain

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm »
Do Martin Logans, like the Theo or any of the models for that matter need to be out away from walls?? I'm interested in learning more about this type of speaker but I listen nearfield and I'm thinking these wouldn't be good at that or am I wrong??

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:08 am »
nearfield how? Like with them up against the wall and you in the near field or these out and you nearfield? The previous MLs are best out in the room and at least midfield but I have heard them set up out into the room and listening position semi- near field but if you are talking like a home studio up against the wall and close- No

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:22 am »
Thanks...thats what I thought but wanted to ask.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
THey can give impressive nearfield results, but will still do better the further you can get them from the sidewalls if possible...

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:49 am »
FWIW
My Aerius i ML like to be at least 3f from the front wall. More or less the same distance from the side walls. 
 :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2010, 01:40 am »
I've always loved the way Martin Logan's looked, I haven't ever had a chance to sit and listen to any yet though...someday I'll hear some.  :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:43 pm »
$5k is still a hefty chunk of change for most of us.   :|

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:53 pm »
eclein,

As Tonepub has stated, the MLs need to be away from the rear wall (at least 3 feet), as they are bi-pole radiators, music comes out of the back of the panel as well as the front, and they need the rear space for the reflected sound to develope. They also need to be fairly far apart as I discovered last night (after owning them for 11 years) and that is an interesting topic (for another thread).

Wayner

Minn Mark

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:44 pm »
I have never heard MLs. I have Maggies, and am curious to know what is the best wall/room treatment for the wall behind ML speakers? Live or dead?   In my room, the Maggies sound best with a live-and-diffusing wall behind the speakers, and the wall behind my listening position is absorbing/dead. I call this this live-end/dead end. In Maggie threads I have seen comments that its important to have something behind the speakers to break up the backwave. Is this similar for ML users?

More comments or education for me are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mark

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:31 pm »
and am curious to know what is the best wall/room treatment for the wall behind ML speakers? Live or dead?

Totally dependent on the 'whole room' , with that being said the general rule of thumb is the further from the wall one would lean towards diffussion, the closer (anything less than 3 1/2', IMO) absorption would be in order. Myself (my Spires are about 43" from the wall) I mix up both absorption and diffussion.

Dave