Trade My New Paradigm Atom Monitors for PSB Image B25?

Mass. Wine Guy

I just received a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors I got on eBay. They definitely sound good, better to me than the Axiom M2i speakers they replace. But they're not as much a step up as I may have been looking for in terms of detail, resolution and imaging.

There are a couple of pairs of PSB Image B25 speakers floating around for less then $300. Does anyone have experience with these speakers and, preferably, also the Paradigms? The front ported bass of the PSBs is appealing because I'd like to place them on bookcases.

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2010, 04:10 am by Mass. Wine Guy »

Wayner

Re: Trade My New Paradigm Atom Monitors for PSB Image B25?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:24 pm »
I have a pair of the Atoms for the garage system, powered by an old Marantz 2220B. The higher efficiency (91db) made them an attractive compact speaker for the garage. No, they are not going to sound like even a 1K speaker, but for the money, are nice to have around. They would make a nice pair for a small den or bedroom, but these speakers are what they are, good small bookshelves.

I do like the PSB brand (also made in Canada, except for bottom end) and they appear to have consistent quality. I not sure if they are going to be a step up for you, however.

I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 40v.3's that can rock pretty well, but they are much larger then the Atom, with 2 6" LF drivers and 1" HF dome. They are also rated at 91db and are bi-wire/ampable. They are lots more money.

Wayner

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:42 pm »
Infinity Primus 162 is a good option and has decent bass. They can be found for less than $200/pr. The 162 was reviewed in stereophile and soundstage. The entire Primus line has gotten very high marks. Note it was preferred to the Atom in stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/

http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/infinity_primus_p162.htm

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2010, 02:09 am »
You'll get a lot more bass with the PSB's if that's what you're after.  I've been a fan of PSB speakers for some time so I'm a little prejudiced, but I would buy the B25's over the Atom.  Similar sound with a bit more omph from the PSB, a bit more delicacy in the high end from the Paradigms.  Pick your poison, but for the cost why not have both?   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2010, 08:33 pm »
Ascend Acoustics

I've owned CBM-170s for several years and love them.  Extreme content value, great tone and imaging, good resolution, crummy finish.  The current ones are about $350/pair.

Don't bother with the 200s.  I bought one for a center channel and it was OK, but disappointing in comparison (it was smaller but cost nearly the same).

Any of the bigger ones should be good too.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2010, 08:47 pm »
Well, can't beat this: RS28A/RS150 kit.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-960

Comes with everything, including the beautiful cabs. Components are already assembled. So there is literally nothing you have to do except connect wiring. Half hour tops. Free shipping. Extraordinaly low distortion drivers. All for $350 (yes, yes I know Danny has his stuff, etc. but again, everything is assembled and you get the beautiful cabs).

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2010, 04:17 am »
Thanks, everyone. Bass is moderately important to me, but as long as it's pretty clean, smooth and palpable, I'll be happy. Ability to handle a wide range of music cleanly and with detail, without being fatiguingly bright, is more important. Smooth, accurate highs and midrange. I listen a lot to acoustic music, both classical and folk/traditionsl, as well as blues, jazz and rock and roll.

I'm going to try getting to a shop nearby to audition some PSM Image series speakers plus whatever else grabs me.

The RS28A/RS150 kit is tempting. How does the finished kit sound?

bixby

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:36 pm »
Get the PSB Image 25s.   :thumb:

I use them in a second system in my office and they are much better than the Atoms.  Much better mids and bass.  The atoms sound like most mini speakers.....good but mini!. 

I think you will be really happy with the PSBs,  I auditioned all kinds of speakers at the local big box retailer and most of what the boutique guys had in that price range.  None came close to the PSBs for naturalness at the price you can find them.  I also listened to a number of active models and again only ones that came close were lots more $, like Dynaudios. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2010, 10:21 pm »
Thank you, Bixby. I've heard very good things about the Quad 11L, which are powered speakers. How do those work? Where do you plug them in for their power? Doesn't it increase your electric bill a lot? Do these look good?:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1291865060&/Quad-11L-Original-Owner-in-

srb

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm »
I've heard very good things about the Quad 11L, which are powered speakers. How do those work? Where do you plug them in for their power? Doesn't it increase your electric bill a lot? Do these look good?:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1291865060&/Quad-11L-Original-Owner-in-

The Quad 11L is available in both a powered and passive model, and the ones you have linked to are if fact not the powered ones.

The powered versions simply have an internal power amplifier and each one needs to be plugged into an AC outlet just like you would a separate power amplifier. They wouldn't consume any more electricity than an external amplifier of similar class A/B power, provided you turn them off just as you would an external amplifier.  They also need to be driven by preamplifier outputs, not amplified speaker outputs.

I have a pair of the passive Quad 11L, and although I don't own the PSBs, I have heard them and I would venture to say that the Quads are a step up in both sound quality and construction (and retail price).

Steve

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2010, 10:40 pm »
Thank you for clearing my confusion, Steve. If my best offer on a used pair of Image B25s get declined, I'll definitely consider a serious bid for these.

The Quad 11L is available in both a powered and passive model, and the ones you have linked to are if fact not the powered ones...

I have a pair of the passive Quad 11L, and although I don't own the PSBs, I have heard them and I would venture to say that the Quads are a step up in both sound quality and construction (and retail price).

Steve

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2010, 03:46 pm »
Ok. Between Quad 11L passive speakers or PSB Image B25 speakers, which do you folks like better and why?

Thanks so much, once again.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:33 pm »
Thanks, everyone. Bass is moderately important to me, but as long as it's pretty clean, smooth and palpable, I'll be happy. Ability to handle a wide range of music cleanly and with detail, without being fatiguingly bright, is more important. Smooth, accurate highs and midrange. I listen a lot to acoustic music, both classical and folk/traditionsl, as well as blues, jazz and rock and roll.

Based on your noted preferences, you might want to check out the Epos line, either the ESL-3 ($329/pair) or the M5 ($650/pair).  Both are stand mount monitors close to the stated price range that excel in "Smooth, accurate highs and midrange" with bass being "pretty clean, smooth and palpable".  As stated I really like PSB speakers, they match what I value most, but based on what you put as priorities, I'd recommend the Epos over them.   

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:17 am »
I have an older pair of the PSB 300 speakers and a pair of the Quad 11L Active monitors. Both nice sounding speakers.  A month ago I had the Quads listed on Audiogon for $425 which I think was a pretty good price. I was contacted by a prospective buyer and we agreed on a price over the phone with funds to follow. He never sent the funds and I haven't heard from him since.
Off track there... You won't go wrong either way.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:26 am »
Chase Home Theater has WAF-1's designed by Danny Richie on closeout for only $169/pr shipped.

Even though I don't need them I still want a pair just cuz.

http://www.chasehometheater.com/
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 04:22 pm by corndog71 »

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:38 am »
...but based on what you put as priorities, I'd recommend the Epos over them.

I'm not totally sure of my priorities. I guess I have a lot of auditioning to do.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:41 am »
I know nothing about these or Danny Richie. Is he a very fine speaker designer?

Thanks.

Chase Home Theater has WAF-1's designed by Danny Richie on closeout for only $169/pr shipped.

Even though I don't need them I still want a pair just cuz.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:21 pm »
I know nothing about these or Danny Richie. Is he a very fine speaker designer?

Thanks.

Yes, he is an award-winning speaker designer.  Here's a link to his company. 

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:59 pm »
Has anyone actually owned or listend to the WAF-1? What did you think?

I know of a pair of Silverline Audio Minuets for a decent price. They get nothing short of stellar reviews. Anyone know these? Do they compare with the WAF-1?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 09:10 pm by Mass. Wine Guy »

bixby

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2010, 08:33 pm »
I heard the minuets yesterday at rmaf and liked them a lot.  Better than my PSBs for sure.  Hope that helps.