PMC MB1's or hold out for MB2's?

sfraser

PMC MB1's or hold out for MB2's?
« on: 6 Oct 2010, 10:35 pm »
Has anyone listened to both the PMC MB1's and the MB2's?  Used one's come up on the market from time to time. Are the MB2's worth the premium?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving/ hockey season for all you Canucks!

mclsound

Re: PMC MB1's or hold out for MB2's?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2010, 11:20 pm »
Funny you bring this up as me and my bud just went to look at a pair of cosmetically(in a dim lit room was the first red flag)reconditioned pair of black MB1's and could not get them to sound good and to many phase issues.I had the MB2's but would have wanted the XBD cabinet(list price$7999+amp+crossover) and was not willing to spend that on a extra woofer.
But the MB2 non "i" sounded good

sfraser

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2010, 11:34 pm »
Would that be the pair listed for sale in Toronto?

mclsound

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:12 am »
Yea
But dont let me stop you...maybe you will have a better experience.My friend needs time with the product before he hands out his $$$$$..
They are worth a look.

Fife

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:31 am »
MB1/2 are good. They need power and a decent room

sfraser

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm »
Yea
But dont let me stop you...maybe you will have a better experience.My friend needs time with the product before he hands out his $$$$$..
They are worth a look.

what was the story on being reconditioned? I assume they were the studio version and he did not like the finish? I think his asking price is still to high for a 10+ year old speaker most likely with a multiple owner path.

Thanks

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
Always go for the more current version with the PMC's. The upgrades achieved in the newer versions are definitely the ones you want to be paying attention to.

Ian.

sfraser

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:21 pm »
Always go for the more current version with the PMC's. The upgrades achieved in the newer versions are definitely the ones you want to be paying attention to.

Ian.

I normally agree, but i will be buying used, and the there still seems to be a substantial price delta between the MB2(x) and MB1, if you can find them at all.

sfraser

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm »

Ian.

Also, why the difference (slanted top vs flat top) between the MB1 studio and non studio versions?

Thanks!

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2010, 09:01 am »

Ian.
Truely a sales pitch there?
The MB1's were from Sony studio's in New York and were,to my understanding,damaged in shipping????????