Internet Fraud

WGH

Re: Internet Fraud
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:37 pm »
I think it would be great if gcos volunteered to help out small businesses with a risk management plan. The stipulation would be if the business lost money due to cc fraud the loss would be paid back to the company from his retirement account.

I get large orders from Liberia every month. Luckily I have not taken those jobs, all my work is custom and I require a 50% down payment before I start a project. I ship worldwide and bank transfers work very well, it quickly sorts out the honest from the dishonest. I think Frank's approach is very sensible for a small business.

Wayne
www.wghwoodworking.com

ratso

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:38 am »
i would think that a reasonable way to manage (as opposed to fix, you will never completely fix this problem) this would be to find out the recommended time to hold shipments until payment clears. if most merchants say that holding a shipment say, 7 days, 14 days, whatever will take care of 90% of your problems, than that is what you do. i don't think your customer base (audiophiles) would mind doing this at all, especially if the policy was clearly laid out and the reason why it was being done. i certainly know i would not mind. hell, audiophiles are used to waiting for quality, hand built gear - my salks are probably going to take 2-3 months and i don't mind in the slightest.

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:52 am »
i would think that a reasonable way to manage (as opposed to fix, you will never completely fix this problem) this would be to find out the recommended time to hold shipments until payment clears. if most merchants say that holding a shipment say, 7 days, 14 days, whatever will take care of 90% of your problems, than that is what you do. i don't think your customer base (audiophiles) would mind doing this at all, especially if the policy was clearly laid out and the reason why it was being done. i certainly know i would not mind. hell, audiophiles are used to waiting for quality, hand built gear - my salks are probably going to take 2-3 months and i don't mind in the slightest.
Hi ratso and Audio Circle members.
I totally agree with you. If Parts Express want to hold back my order for one month to check the validity of my debit card, I won't mind.
Guy 13.

ratso

« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2010, 02:49 am »
you should tell them that - they might agree.

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2010, 03:45 am »
you should tell them that - they might agree.
Hi (Again) ratso.
I just sent an e-mail to Parts Express asking them if they could hold on to my order for one month or even longer if necessary, before shipping it, after they have done the credit check.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Guy 13
If it works, I own you one. (Beer that is) but you have to come and get it in Vietnam.

ratso

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2010, 02:17 am »
i might just do that - one of my good friends from the states moved there a few years ago.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2010, 03:07 am »
I will never ship anything to Mexico again. A custoner bought an item from me while living in Mexico last year, and she never received the item. I gave her a refund. A couple of months later she ordered the same item again, but this time she was back living in the states and I had no problem.

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2010, 03:56 am »
Hi (Again) ratso.
I just sent an e-mail to Parts Express asking them if they could hold on to my order for one month or even longer if necessary, before shipping it, after they have done the credit check.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Guy 13
If it works, I own you one. (Beer that is) but you have to come and get it in Vietnam.
Hi Ratso.
Well Ratso... It worked ! Parts Express as accepted to process my order with my debit card and keep the order until the credit clears.
I have several bottles of Saigon beer on the ice for you and who ever else want to join. Hurry up, before the ice melt.
Thanks again.
Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm »
Hi Ratso.
Well Ratso... It worked ! Parts Express as accepted to process my order with my debit card and keep the order until the credit clears.
I have several bottles of Saigon beer on the ice for you and who ever else want to join. Hurry up, before the ice melt.
Thanks again.
Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

Guy13

I'm surprised you didn't ask Blair (who you do business with) to place thre order for you and have it shipped to him and then he can foward it to you.   :dunno:

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:45 pm »
Guy13

I'm surprised you didn't ask Blair (who you do business with) to place thre order for you and have it shipped to him and then he can foward it to you.   :dunno:
Hi.
The reason why I did not ask Blair to place my Parts Express order for me, it's because first : I don't like to disturb people.
Second : I am not sure when I will buy again from Blair, therefore it could take a long time before Blair can send me my Parts Express order with something else.
Third : Danny at GR Research will soon be sending me a N-3 kit with ten (10) NoRez sheets with two 12" drivers and other stuff and he will consolidate all my small orders (Probably two or three more).
I bought in the pass a lot of stuff from Danny and when he send me something he puts everything in a crate.
That's why !
Any more questions, please ask.
Guy 13     

Sherlock

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm »
Perhaps you should not allow an order until someone can pass a random 'audiophile' test:

1) What speaker did Peter Walker design?
2) Did the SP3A1 use tubes or mosfets?
3) What is the origin of the 'dor' in 'Spendor? 

:)

bacobits1

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:30 pm »
Here is another one.
He's been at it since 2007.
Beware!

You need to plaster their name all over the internet then when you Google it it will come here and other places with the complaint.

Anthony Iodice
1708 Princeton Dr
Champaign IL 61821

D

jasoncroft

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2011, 01:01 am »
Hi.
I agree 100% with the above, however, I am a Canadian from Quebec living in Vietnam and I had a similar problem. I wanted to buy 150 USD worth of stuff from Parts Express, they would not accept my Master card debit card, because the address is in Vietnam issued by ACB (Asia Commercial Bank), they asked me for a wire transfer, the problem is that in this communist country, you cannot send money out of the country unless you sign some kind of contract between parties... Anyway, lots of red tape.
I will have to find another way to do it or just buy local cheap stuff.
Guy 13.

what is it like to live in Vietnam? The only country i have been to in the east is the philippines.

audioengr

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:06 am »
Virtue - you got off cheap.  There is a scammer in Indonesia that took one of the other manufacturers for $14K two years ago and took me for $10K last year.  Name was Aris Isnani.

I stopped accepting CC sales from international customers as a result.  I now only accept bank wire transfers and instant PayPal payments from fully funded accounts.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:20 am »
Bummer, Seth. 

I had a different one happen to me.  I placed an order online with a vendor and someone in their business office took my CC info and decided to buy a Meade telescope with it.  I actually caught it the day that it happened (I check my CC account every day) and was able to stop the sale.  The CC company and the FBI got involved and all is well for me... not for them.

The crooks are everywhere.

Dave

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:59 am »
Yip, we need PayPal sellers protection guaranteed now and check all the codes on the credit cards so we are protected, we hope.  If we get burned again that way I'll require wires from international payers.  As it stands, we lose around 4% to paypal and CC charges which really sucks anyway. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #36 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:49 am »
Yip, we need PayPal sellers protection guaranteed now and check all the codes on the credit cards so we are protected, we hope.  If we get burned again that way I'll require wires from international payers.  As it stands, we lose around 4% to paypal and CC charges which really sucks anyway.
WOW!!!  I though you audio manufacturers were just rolling in the money   :rotflmao:  Oh, no.  That is me rolling on the floor.  It is funny how people think that small manufacturers like us make so much money!   :lol:

Be well and be wary, my friend.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:51 am »
WOW!!!  I though you audio manufacturers were just rolling in the money   :rotflmao:  Oh, no.  That is me rolling on the floor.  It is funny how people think that small manufacturers like us make so much money!   :lol:

Be well and be wary, my friend.

Dave

All the people with the  8) jobs make all the money.   :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:54 am »
All the people with the  8) jobs make all the money.   :lol:
Jason, that would be you!   :D

Dave