GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #880 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm »
Harpers will arrive in March/May. Not sure about the subs. Abbey will not get here until the summer.
I believe they are outstanding speakers in their price range. I don't know any other speakers that has the same performance for that price. I can't afford speakers that cost many times more and I'm far from sure that they would sound much better. The multiple subwoofer approach also seem very logical to me.

You are keeping your standards nice and high which is exactly what you should be doing. When you get your Abbeys, irrespective of measurements, your standards will rise even higher. And suddenly, you wonder why that 'other' loudspeaker is $40K.

Be that as it may, an apples to apples comparison is what is needed. Take the Abbeys in a well designed room, room treatments, etc...and you'll have a superb response curve. Hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate that in my new audio/HT room by the end of the year.

My hats off to Jason for sticking his head out and divulging the measurements that he has for all critical eyes to see/discuss/dissect/ponder about.

Best,
Anand.

TomS

« Reply #881 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:21 pm »

My hats off to Jason for sticking his head out and divulging the measurements that he has for all critical eyes to see/discuss/dissect/ponder about.
+1.  And not to mention the probably hundreds of plots he did on both HOLM and REW that you didn't even see. It is very tedious work but it tells you just how much the room is actually doing (yes, a lot).

Tom

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #882 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:38 pm »
Thanks guys! 

Yes, I've done hundreds of measurements now.  I'm on my third setup since moving the subs around and this is the best yet.  HolmImpulse has some excellent features that REW doesn't.  If Holm continues to develop that tool it will truly be the most advanced imo. 

Being able to check and set the phase and delay on each sub has been invaluable.  It's sounding the best it has since getting them in my room. 

Orso, I encourage you to start a thread on your setup, room and effort.  Not only will GedLee owners learn something but everyone that decides to measure and dig deeper into proper room setup will.  I don't understand why more people don't take the time to measure and at least see what they have just out of curiosity.  With a bit of time and some tweaking they can make a huge improvement. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #883 on: 5 Apr 2011, 04:57 pm »
Just in case you haven't seen, the prices are going up 10% on 6/1/11.  Get on the list now if you're thinking about it. 

http://www.gedlee.com/Loudspeakers.htm

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #884 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:47 pm »
Has anyone else taken delivery of their GedLee speakers lately?

dynaflo

« Reply #885 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:06 pm »
I orderd some in November and it is sounding like I might get them in May.  I'm not sure I would have gone this route had I known it was going to take this long.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #886 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:46 pm »
I orderd some in November and it is sounding like I might get them in May.  I'm not sure I would have gone this route had I known it was going to take this long.

Have you heard a GedLee setup?

dynaflo

« Reply #887 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:57 pm »
No, I have not.  I took a leap of faith.  I hope they are worth the wait.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #888 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:00 pm »
Wow! Six months of waiting with no set delivery date in sight. IMO this is poor business practice. If he has so much business, he should hire help rather than making his customers wait so long.

-Roy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #889 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:47 pm »
No, I have not.  I took a leap of faith.  I hope they are worth the wait.

Well, I'm in love with them.  I really couldn't be happier. 

What are you getting?  Abbeys?  Subs?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #890 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »
Thanks guys! 

Yes, I've done hundreds of measurements now.  I'm on my third setup since moving the subs around and this is the best yet.  HolmImpulse has some excellent features that REW doesn't.  If Holm continues to develop that tool it will truly be the most advanced imo. 

Being able to check and set the phase and delay on each sub has been invaluable.  It's sounding the best it has since getting them in my room. 

Orso, I encourage you to start a thread on your setup, room and effort.  Not only will GedLee owners learn something but everyone that decides to measure and dig deeper into proper room setup will.  I don't understand why more people don't take the time to measure and at least see what they have just out of curiosity.  With a bit of time and some tweaking they can make a huge improvement.

Excellent advice especially the measurements. Probably the most affective tool we have that is underused. Most of us would save on tweaks if the room was measured and treated accordingly. The best move we ever made.

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #891 on: 16 Apr 2011, 07:21 pm »
Wow! Six months of waiting with no set delivery date in sight. IMO this is poor business practice. If he has so much business, he should hire help rather than making his customers wait so long.

-Roy

I only waited three!   :thumb:

Yes, six months is a long time but it's worth it IMO. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #892 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:15 pm »

-Roy
Roy, this is easy to say and very hard to do when you are a small businessman for many reasons.

A lot of business choices revolve around 3 criteria: market size (projected sales); quality desired; finally, selling price/profit.  It is hard to juggle these three.  In a boutique audio business, the market is unstable and sales fluctuate wildly.  It is hard to pay bills and eat when there are no sales.  Quality is probably the hardest of the three when a peraon is hired to do a particular job in a field that is new to them.  How many professional cabinet makers proficient in polyurethane construction do you know?  The third is very tricky.  People (myself included) want the higest quality at the lowest price possible.  If Dr. Geddes was charging for the value of his speakers vs. the current marketplace they would easily be double the price.

I can only speak for myself when it comes to this part - My business runs from no orders to unbelieveably backordered at the drop of a hat.  I provide the higest value /dollar in my field that is possible while maintaining the highest quality (for an ugly black box) that I can.  People buy my products for what they do, not how they look.  I have run the numbers.  If I hired a person to help my (legally, which is the ONLY way I would do it) my price would need to triple in order to make the same living that I am now.  This is something that I cannot and would not do.  Besides, when business slowed down, I would have to lay the person off and provide unemployment compensation benefits through an insurance plan.  If a person is hurt on the job who do you think pays?  In the coming economic climate I would have to provide healthcare.  Teaching someone how to do something is a long process.  Even then there is no guarantee of product quality from another persons' hand.  You should try to hire competent help at what a job is worth not what the employee wants to be paid.  My zoning allows me to work out of my residence as long as I do not have employees.  I cannot afford to do what I do for the price I get while maintaining a manufacturing plant.  Then there is security that must be dealt with as well as all of the OSHA requirements.

It is easy to judge anothers' performance in any particular field of endeavor.  In our industry something is either worth the investment, in the context of dollars and time involved), or it isn't.  That is up to the buyer not necessarily the spectator IME.

My $1.98

Dave

werd

« Reply #893 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:49 pm »
Roy, this is easy to say and very hard to do when you are a small businessman for many reasons.

A lot of business choices revolve around 3 criteria: market size (projected sales); quality desired; finally, selling price/profit.  It is hard to juggle these three.  In a boutique audio business, the market is unstable and sales fluctuate wildly.  It is hard to pay bills and eat when there are no sales.  Quality is probably the hardest of the three when a peraon is hired to do a particular job in a field that is new to them.  How many professional cabinet makers proficient in polyurethane construction do you know?  The third is very tricky.  People (myself included) want the higest quality at the lowest price possible.  If Dr. Geddes was charging for the value of his speakers vs. the current marketplace they would easily be double the price.

I can only speak for myself when it comes to this part - My business runs from no orders to unbelieveably backordered at the drop of a hat.  I provide the higest value /dollar in my field that is possible while maintaining the highest quality (for an ugly black box) that I can.  People buy my products for what they do, not how they look.  I have run the numbers.  If I hired a person to help my (legally, which is the ONLY way I would do it) my price would need to triple in order to make the same living that I am now.  This is something that I cannot and would not do.  Besides, when business slowed down, I would have to lay the person off and provide unemployment compensation benefits through an insurance plan.  If a person is hurt on the job who do you think pays?  In the coming economic climate I would have to provide healthcare.  Teaching someone how to do something is a long process.  Even then there is no guarantee of product quality from another persons' hand.  You should try to hire competent help at what a job is worth not what the employee wants to be paid.  My zoning allows me to work out of my residence as long as I do not have employees.  I cannot afford to do what I do for the price I get while maintaining a manufacturing plant.  Then there is security that must be dealt with as well as all of the OSHA requirements.

It is easy to judge anothers' performance in any particular field of endeavor.  In our industry something is either worth the investment, in the context of dollars and time involved), or it isn't.  That is up to the buyer not necessarily the spectator IME.

My $1.98

Dave

Not saying you Dave, but this is how fly by nighters operate... just so you know.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #894 on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:03 pm »
Not saying you Dave, but this is how fly by nighters operate... just so you know.
There are crooks in every aspect of business.  Remember AV123... or Enron?  A majority of the high(est) quality, low volume audio retailers are one man operations just like mine.  I refuse to source my products (even at 4 times the potential profit) from China.  Not gonna do it!

Just so you know, most of the fly by nighters had no clue as to what they were doing to begin with nor the guts to deal with the marketplace extant.

I'm just sayin' >>>>>>>>>>

Dave

werd

« Reply #895 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:07 pm »
There are crooks in every aspect of business.  Remember AV123... or Enron?  A majority of the high(est) quality, low volume audio retailers are one man operations just like mine.  I refuse to source my products (even at 4 times the potential profit) from China.  Not gonna do it!

Just so you know, most of the fly by nighters had no clue as to what they were doing to begin with nor the guts to deal with the marketplace extant.

I'm just sayin' >>>>>>>>>>

Dave

Just so we were clear that i wasn't talking about you and your point made is a big difference.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #896 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm »
I would never place an order with a company that requires 1/2 down and has a track record of indeterminate delivery dates. You would think that the delivery date could at least be specified to the month and if not achieved the customer would have the option of canceling the order and the deposit returned. A pair of Abbey kits are now pushing 4 grand. Somehow I get the feeling that he's pushing the price higher and higher till the orders drop off and the waiting period is stretched out to whenever. What happens if he goes under or just shuts down? Do the customers lose their deposits?

I'm sure that they're great speakers but once you get to a certain level other speakers become viable options with great cabinetry to boot.

-Roy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #897 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm »
I would never place an order with a company that requires 1/2 down and has a track record of indeterminate delivery dates. You would think that the delivery date could at least be specified to the month and if not achieved the customer would have the option of canceling the order and the deposit returned. A pair of Abbey kits are now pushing 4 grand. Somehow I get the feeling that he's pushing the price higher and higher till the orders drop off and the waiting period is stretched out to whenever. What happens if he goes under or just shuts down? Do the customers lose their deposits?

I'm sure that they're great speakers but once you get to a certain level other speakers become viable options with great cabinetry to boot.

-Roy

Well, I do understand your concern.  However, I can also say that I've never heard anything like the GedLee system.  It's no joke!

If you place an order and get tired of waiting Dr. Geddes will most certainly refund your deposit.  I asked before placing mine. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #898 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:11 pm »
Well, I do understand your concern.  However, I can also say that I've never heard anything like the GedLee system.  It's no joke!

If you place an order and get tired of waiting Dr. Geddes will most certainly refund your deposit.  I asked before placing mine.

Agreed. I asked him as well. I assume a 6 month wait whenever I order from him. Some will not want to wait and that's fine, he'll refund.

As for value of the loudspeakers, that's another topic. Roy, The Abbeys fully built are currently $4400. The kits are $3400/pair.

Prices of Geddes speakers

Anand.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #899 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:59 am »
DBe has it completely right, its a complex business decision made more complex by the fact that making speakers is not my primary business.  If I were to charge my consulting rates to make the speakers the prices would sky-rocket.  So it all becomes a tradeoff.

There are very good reasons why the delay is so long, very good reasons why I require a deposit, and very good reasons why the timing is a guess, but all that is too complicated to get into now.  I fully understand why someone would not want to purchase my products under these conditions, but I think that it should also be understood that others don't have a problem with this.  I do loose a lot of sales because of this situation.

The deposits can be withdrawn at any time and you can send the speakers back if you don't like them - neither of these has ever happened.

For complex reasons, there is no real solution to this problem as long as I continue to run the business.  I will be trying to sell it so that it can be expanded to better meet the customers expectations and to get me - the major roadblock to expansion - out of the middle of this whole thing.  I am caught in the middle of something that I should not be in the middle of.

Just go hire someone!?  Its not quite that simple.  And I can't build many speakers in China where I am at the moment.  Have them built here?  No one knows better than I how problematic that is.  Its easy to have cheap junk made here its another thing to have world class speakers made.