GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

dwr

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #860 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:38 am »
Hi Studley,

Glad to hear you are making serious progress, put some pics up when you get everything set.

Dan

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #861 on: 9 Mar 2011, 01:46 am »
No Dan that would be me :-)   The cabinets are finished and painted / lacquered.  I'll post some pics at some point.  The crossovers are next, just deciding how exotic to go when choosing the components. (I'd welcome comments on this - I read somewhere that Anand seriously upgraded the XOs - Anand?)

See here. I'm still sticking with my story. The Abbey stock is a phenomenal speaker. The Abbey with the upgraded crossover (in my case Duelund caps/resistors, Mundorf Supreme Caps and North Creek Inductors in specific areas) amounted to about a 20% difference in improvement (Yeah, that's mucho expensive but I got everything at about 30% off a good 1.5 years ago). Even if you didn't upgrade anything in the Abbey, it is thoroughly enjoyable. Many audiophiles' crappy rooms I am sure swamp out the differences or maybe...there really isn't a difference! I wouldn't argue with you if you said that you would rather spend the money on more vinyl or downloads for your music server. In fact, I'm curious about the owners who DIDN'T throw money at it like I did and see if they perceived any differences at all.

My advice? Listen to it stock first. Make sure your entire system with subs is fully optimized. And then, if you are truly wanting to dump $$$...go ahead. I think many Abbey owners are so caught up with the listening experience that they throw their hat in and say forget it, there is really no need, Solen warts and all.

Cheers,
Anand.

TomS

« Reply #862 on: 9 Mar 2011, 01:52 am »

... My advice? Listen to it stock first. Make sure your entire system with subs is fully optimized. And then, if you are truly wanting to dump $$$...go ahead.

I agree 110%

rbfletch

« Reply #863 on: 22 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm »
I've enjoyed reading all the great feedback, but still don't have a handle on how far from the backwall the Abbeys must/should be....and how critical.  I have maybe 22"before it becomes an issue.  Thoughts?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #864 on: 22 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm »
I've enjoyed reading all the great feedback, but still don't have a handle on how far from the backwall the Abbeys must/should be....and how critical.  I have maybe 22"before it becomes an issue.  Thoughts?

Certainly being out further will be a benefit.  What's the size of your room and how will they fit?  Can you take a picture or post a drawing?

cujobob

« Reply #865 on: 22 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm »

That shouldn't be too much of an issue IMHO.  Any speaker will do better away from the wall, but the Abbeys are sealed and sound pretty darn good the times I've had them close to my wall.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #866 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:19 am »
Jason now that you've had some time with them were they worth the wait? and I mean that honestly not trying to smart or anything I just noticed the thread again and was wondering how your liking them??

an aside--I got some Sleek Audio SA-1 IEM's...now I understand..LOL

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #867 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:35 am »
Jason now that you've had some time with them were they worth the wait? and I mean that honestly not trying to smart or anything I just noticed the thread again and was wondering how your liking them??

an aside--I got some Sleek Audio SA-1 IEM's...now I understand..LOL

You're kidding right?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #868 on: 23 Mar 2011, 01:29 am »
Nope--I haven't read the whole thread, did I miss something??

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #869 on: 23 Mar 2011, 01:38 am »
Nope--I haven't read the whole thread, did I miss something??

OK.  I really like them.  The wall of sound is truly amazing.   :thumb:  It takes time and effort to get it all setup...

So yes, enjoying them very much!  If I wasn't, they would be listed. 

Bjorn

« Reply #870 on: 23 Mar 2011, 08:40 am »
Sorry guys about my previous comments. There's was a line I couldn't see for some reason.

About your measurements. I think they look very good over all. They're far from outstanding. You do have a difference of about 27 dB in the frequency response. I know that's unsmoothed and that your room isn't heavily treated. I've seen unsmoothed graphs with only 5 dB of deviation, but that's been rooms with large amounts of treatment. Very difficult to get something like that in a living room.
The impulse response doesn't tell me very much,  though it looks good from what I can see. I'm not used to read the graph in Holm Impulse. An ETC graph shows reflections a more readible way, but it's not important. The spike at about 5ms and 7ms is something you can probably easily address.

I'ver ordered a pair Abbey, Harpers and two bandpass subs myself. Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2011, 09:29 pm by orso »

rbfletch

« Reply #871 on: 23 Mar 2011, 06:16 pm »
Per your request, here is my room.  I have an ADS Sat7 Sub12 setup from 1992(with Frogdesign stands).  I trying to see if upgrading is worth it and feasible.  I'm thinking about Abbeys or the Emerald Physics C3, and keeping my sub.  The sub's specs are 15--100Hz, < 1% THD, 350 watt amp with 12" cone.  I have no idea if it would be called a "quick" sub.  I do love its volume control.   My listening chair is about 10' from equipment.  I don't want to be bothered by having to move the speakers each time I listen.  Thanks.  :D :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #872 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:03 pm »
Sorry guys about my previous comments. There's was a line a couldn't see for some reason.

About your measurements. I think they look very good over all. They're far from outstanding. You do have a difference of about 27 dB in the frequency response. I know that's unsmoothed and that your room isn't heavily treated. I've seen unsmoothed graphs with only 5 dB of deviation, but that's been rooms with large amounts of treatment. Very difficult to get something like that in a living room.
The impulse response doesn't tell me very much,  though it looks good from what I can see. I'm not used to read the graph in Holm Impulse. An ETC graph shows reflections a more readible way, but it's not important. The spike at about 5ms and 7ms is something you can probably easily address.

I'ver ordered a pair Abbey, Harpers and two bandpass subs myself. Looking forward to it.

Great!  I look forward to your whole thread with measurements and learning what I did wrong.    :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #873 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:41 am »
Per your request, here is my room.  I have an ADS Sat7 Sub12 setup from 1992(with Frogdesign stands).  I trying to see if upgrading is worth it and feasible.  I'm thinking about Abbeys or the Emerald Physics C3, and keeping my sub.  The sub's specs are 15--100Hz, < 1% THD, 350 watt amp with 12" cone.  I have no idea if it would be called a "quick" sub.  I do love its volume control.   My listening chair is about 10' from equipment.  I don't want to be bothered by having to move the speakers each time I listen.  Thanks.  :D :D

It's going to be tight in there with three subs.  I think it will work but obviously will not give the max potential.  I have my speakers 51" from the front wall and think that 3' is about the least that I'd go.  If you were able and willing to bring them to front of the stand, you might be getting somewhere IMO. 

Bjorn

« Reply #874 on: 24 Mar 2011, 09:31 pm »
Great!  I look forward to your whole thread with measurements and learning what I did wrong.    :thumb:
Not saying you did something wrong. Just stating that there are rooms for improvements.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2011, 07:42 am by orso »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #875 on: 24 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm »
I always think about Geddy Lee when I see this thread on the home page.

:D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #876 on: 24 Mar 2011, 11:32 pm »
Not saying you did something wrong. Just stating that there are rooms fro improvements.
I suppose you have measurements for your room, so are you going to post them?  I'm always willing to learn.  I think that every day that passes without a new nugget of wisdom is a bad day.   8)

Dave

Bjorn

« Reply #877 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:58 am »
I suppose you have measurements for your room, so are you going to post them?  I'm always willing to learn.  I think that every day that passes without a new nugget of wisdom is a bad day.   8)

Dave
jtwrace told me not to and I will respect that. And what's the point?
Seems like people are getting upset because I'm not following the stream and saying the measurements are great. It all depends what it's compared to. Compared to many typical box speakers in the marked, they measure very good. Compared to better speakers, rooms with more treatment, or bigger rooms, the measurements are more average. There are also many ways to show measurements. In Holm Impluse everything is zoomed out. Show the same measurement in REW and it will look very different.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #878 on: 25 Mar 2011, 11:36 am »
jtwrace told me not to and I will respect that.
Wrong!  Read my post above.  It cleary says that I look forward to your posting a new thread about your setup.   :duh:

And what's the point?
Seems like people are getting upset because I'm not following the stream and saying the measurements are great. It all depends what it's compared to. Compared to many typical box speakers in the marked, they measure very good. Compared to better speakers, rooms with more treatment, or bigger rooms, the measurements are more average.
No not upset at all.  In fact, you are entitled to your opionions and thoughts as anyone is on this site.  "Better" speakers is subjective.

There are also many ways to show measurements. In Holm Impluse everything is zoomed out. Show the same measurement in REW and it will look very different.
You're kidding me right?  Do you not realize that there is scaling on the X and Y axis?  It doesn't make a difference whatsoever.  Look at the scaling and if it's the same as any other program it doesn't make a difference. 

Data is Data

When do your Abbeys, Harpers and subs arrive?  Why are buying Abbeys if you think there are better speakers?

Bjorn

« Reply #879 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:07 pm »
Wrong!  Read my post above.  It cleary says that I look forward to your posting a new thread about your setup.   :duh:
Exactly. In another thread.
No not upset at all.  In fact, you are entitled to your opionions and thoughts as anyone is on this site.  "Better" speakers is subjective.
You're kidding me right?  Do you not realize that there is scaling on the X and Y axis?  It doesn't make a difference whatsoever.  Look at the scaling and if it's the same as any other program it doesn't make a difference. 

Data is Data
With the standards they do look different. Of course, the measurements are the same. Something that's zoomed out compared to something that gives a closer look, will seem different for the eye. Many don't bother to actually look at the dB difference. Like previously mentioned, you have a quite large deviation (everything is relative though) and you have two rather big cancellations/dips plus the extra energy at 2,5k. There's definetly room for some improvement. But that's good though. That means your system can potentially sound even better then what is does today.  :)

When do your Abbeys, Harpers and subs arrive?  Why are buying Abbeys if you think there are better speakers?
Harpers will arrive in March/May. Not sure about the subs. Abbey will not get here until the summer.
I believe they are outstanding speakers in their price range. I don't know any other speakers that has the same performance for that price. I can't afford speakers that cost many times more and I'm far from sure that they would sound much better. The multiple subwoofer approach also seem very logical to me.