GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

brj

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #840 on: 2 Mar 2011, 07:04 pm »
I like the raw data as well, but my understanding is that 1/3 octave smoothing approximates the actual frequency response resolution that most people are able to distinguish from mid-bass region and higher.  1/6 octave smoothing is apparently more representative for low frequencies.  When not looking at the raw data, I tend to use 1/6 octave smoothing for everything just for simplicity.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #841 on: 2 Mar 2011, 07:22 pm »
I like the raw data as well, but my understanding is that 1/3 octave smoothing approximates the actual frequency response resolution that most people are able to distinguish from mid-bass region and higher.  1/6 octave smoothing is apparently more representative for low frequencies.  When not looking at the raw data, I tend to use 1/6 octave smoothing for everything just for simplicity.

I've added (page 42) the smoothed response just for you.   :wink:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #842 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:19 am »
Amazing results, indeed!

sonicboom

« Reply #843 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:21 am »
Excellent results, it seems all your hard work has paid off and then some.  Having gotten there without the use of EQ is all the more impressive.  Also, the measurements at the low end are indeed a testament to the multi-sub approach.  But equally eye opening is the response from the low mids on up.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on how you got to this point?  Is it moving the mains around, playing with toe-in angles, trying out different positions of acoustic panels (if any)?  I know it was mostly perspiration that got you here, but some account of the inspiration part would be appreciated.

Bear

« Reply #844 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:49 am »
WOW!  so how does it sound? :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #845 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:05 am »
Excellent results, it seems all your hard work has paid off and then some.  Having gotten there without the use of EQ is all the more impressive.  Also, the measurements at the low end are indeed a testament to the multi-sub approach.  But equally eye opening is the response from the low mids on up.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on how you got to this point?  Is it moving the mains around, playing with toe-in angles, trying out different positions of acoustic panels (if any)?  I know it was mostly perspiration that got you here, but some account of the inspiration part would be appreciated.

The bottom end is by far the best I've ever heard.  It's that good!  I'm really loving the sound now.  It was a very tough road to get to this point but I'm really close.  I'm going to try a couple more things but we'll see.  If it didn't get any better I'd still be happy. 

It sounds awesome! 

The measurement process although is "easy" it takes a lot of time and most importantly patience.  It's just non stop measuring and pressing and twisting buttons.   :duh:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #846 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:01 am »
The bottom end is by far the best I've ever heard.  It's that good!  I'm really loving the sound now.  It was a very tough road to get to this point but I'm really close.  I'm going to try a couple more things but we'll see.  If it didn't get any better I'd still be happy. 

It sounds awesome! 

The measurement process although is "easy" it takes a lot of time and most importantly patience.  It's just non stop measuring and pressing and twisting buttons.   :duh:
Very nice!   :thumb:  These are curves that any one would be happy with in any room.  The LF response is just awesome as measured.  I'm sure that there is plenty of body there.  The mids through the highs are very, very good, too.

My compliments.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #847 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:09 pm »
I've just added some more measurement data on page 42.

Here is the direct link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913124#msg913124

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #848 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:13 pm »
I've just added some more measurement data on page 42.

Here is the direct link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913124#msg913124
Jason, a couple of observations pursuant to our continuing discussion.  The minor suckouts that you see in the listening position shots from 400-500 and 600-700 are comb filtering effects, for sure.  The 600-700 dip corresponds and is related to the little suckout an octave above that from 1.2K to 1.4K.  These are more than likely path length related with an approximate WL discrepancy of 6" either side of the 550Hz bump.

Knowing your attention to detail, I'm sure that you have absorbent panels at the first reflection point on the side walls so I'm wondering if the minor bump isn't floor bounce.  The carpet and pad will help above about 1K or so, but you need about a 1/6 WL absorbent depth to really be effective.  I don't "think" (much at all really, but I'm trying here) that the 550Hz is a ceiling reflection.  Then again, I've been wrong before.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. :scratch:

Do you have any pictures of the side walls and the ceiling?

Hmmmmmmm... still thinking :scratch: :duh: Ouch!

Overall the room response is exemplary.  You are within +/-5dB which is extremely hard to do - great job!  :thumb:

Dave
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2011, 09:07 pm by dBe »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #849 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:57 pm »
Knowing your attention to detail, I'm sure that you have absorbent panels at the first reflection point on the side walls

Do you have any pictures of the side walls and the ceiling?

Dave

This will show you guys that CD Speakers work. 

This is my actual listening room...this CAD drawing was done before I had two subs but it should give you an idea.

It's far from the ideal dedicated room but it's what I got.   :oops:

GIK Bass Elite in the front corners, GIK 242 on the front wall and GIK 242 on the angled ceiling slightly forward of the 1st reflection point.  That's it!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #850 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:34 pm »
 Couldn't be happier for ya. Enjoy every minute it was a major investment that paid off in spades. Now, when is the Rave ?

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #851 on: 6 Mar 2011, 01:35 am »
Couldn't be happier for ya. Enjoy every minute it was a major investment that paid off in spades. Now, when is the Rave ?

charles

Thanks!  I have a rave at least twice a week.   :thumb:

I tell you what, I"m sitting here in awe.  These speakers are just fantastic.  I'm enjoying the music.  It's just here!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #852 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:03 am »

I tell you what, I"m sitting here in awe.  These speakers are just fantastic.  I'm enjoying the music.  It's just here!!!
There is nothing better than that kind of total immersion, huh?  When we transtion from the "you are there" experience to the "they are here" thing is what the quest is all about, my friend.  Sounds like you scored BIG!  Awesome.   :thumb:

Dave

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #853 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:15 am »

Congrats Jason!

I know the feeling you are describing.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #854 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:21 am »
Beethoven and Greg Brown just visited for a long time.  Odd combo but I'm odd and that's what I requested.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #855 on: 6 Mar 2011, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing measurements. Took me a while to see it, haven't figured out how to subscribe threads here.......
Don't quite understand what you're speaking about.  If you click the "Notify" button on the thread you will be notified on every time there is a new post. 

It's a bit difficult to compare to my own since you are using a Holm Impulse. I'm using REW5. Tried to do I measurement here with Holm, but something isn't right.
Well, I"m not using REW so don't ask.   :P

Was going to share some printscreens of my measurements, but doesn't seem it's possbile to upload images here. Unless I've overlooked something,
Yes, I'd say you overlooked something.  All that is needed is to properly size the image (I use PixResizer which is free) then select the first button on the lef of the second row and browse for the image then select upload.  It's very easy.  In fact, I find this site the best out of the others that I visit. 

Also, if you're going to share your measurements you are probably best of doing that in a new thread of your own. 

this forum needs some upgrade....
Actually it's the latest version

When showing impulse response or ETC, you need to measure for each speaker in case you didn't.
I've done much more measurements then I'm showing. 

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #856 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:07 pm »
Jason,

It seems like you have done an awesome job with your speakers and the measurements.  I have the Abbey's on order but I REALLY WORRY that I am not smart enough to do the extensive set-up and calibration that you have done.  How critical is it to do all of this?  Am I in for a rude awakening in that I will never get great sound out of these unless I do all of this?  It is way above my head, I must admit!

Unrelated question now that you have everything settled in- Do you feel that Earl's statement that the speakers are 85% of the equation is accurate? He does not put a whole lot of emphasis on the electronics, as you probably know. How revolutionary are the Abbey speakers?

Cheers,

James

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #857 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm »
now that you have everything settled in-

Cheers,

James

That's the best thing I heard all day...I've just changed some sub locations so I'm getting ready for some more fun! 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #858 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:11 pm »
Jason,

It seems like you have done an awesome job with your speakers and the measurements.  I have the Abbey's on order but I REALLY WORRY that I am not smart enough to do the extensive set-up and calibration that you have done.  How critical is it to do all of this?  Am I in for a rude awakening in that I will never get great sound out of these unless I do all of this?  It is way above my head, I must admit!

Unrelated question now that you have everything settled in- Do you feel that Earl's statement that the speakers are 85% of the equation is accurate? He does not put a whole lot of emphasis on the electronics, as you probably know. How revolutionary are the Abbey speakers?

Cheers,

James

It will take some time and patience to get it right.  EVERY speaker does though if you want to get it "right".  There is no such thing as plop them in the room and they'll be set.  Once you start to measure and know the truth, the chase is on!   

studley

« Reply #859 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:06 am »
Rave,
Are you the same Ian that bought the 12A baffles from Earl and had them shipped over to England and finished them yourself??

Dan

No Dan that would be me :-)   The cabinets are finished and painted / lacquered.  I'll post some pics at some point.  The crossovers are next, just deciding how exotic to go when choosing the components. (I'd welcome comments on this - I read somewhere that Anand seriously upgraded the XOs - Anand?)

I have a DCX 2496 for the subs, which will be 4 IBs set in the ceiling and wall of an adjoining room.

As regards amps I have a pair of F4s but am seriously considering a J2 as everyone says its the best First Watt yet.  Anyone heard a J2 driving the Abbeys?  TomS I've seen your comments on the F5.