GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #800 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:50 pm »
What a nice way to go! or perhaps he can't make time for the computer as there are better things to do .....like listen to music!

JohnR

« Reply #801 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:54 pm »
He's had his modulations suppressed.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #802 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:02 pm »
Thanks for all the interest.  :thumb: 

I'll get to more in depth response when I have them setup and I think it's time.  As all of you know swithching speakers isn't always easy.  When you have your room setup and everything just so, making a switch with something as major as a speaker takes a bit of time.  I've been measuring like mad (100 +).  I think I'm making some major improvements but need more time.  The past week has just been nutty as I haven't done anything but work and tinker with the setup. 

The one thing I can say is that bad recordings are REALLY noticeable.  The Abbeys really make you appreciate a great recording that much more. 

I'll slowly start getting to all the questions. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #803 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:25 pm »
Congrats Jason!

I look forward to reading your thoughts after you spend some time with the setup.

BTW, how big is your room?

George

It's an odd room.  12' x 26' behind the listener it opens up to about 16'

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #804 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:27 pm »
jtwrace, How about giving your impressions of the fit and finish of the speakers?

They're good.  You buy these for the sound not for the aesthetics.  I will say that my wife actually likes the way they look.   :kiss:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #805 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:31 pm »
So, do you like them  ? How did the sub setup work out ? Curious minds need to know.

charles

Yes, I like them!  The sub integration is still in process due to my tweaking of the room but it will not be an issue.  I will have a flat LFR to 15 Hz. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #806 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:36 pm »
Jason
dont go silent!!!! dying to hear your impressions of the Abbeys. I will be buying speakers soon and would value your impressions from the last few weeks :thumb:

PS they look really nice and I love the stands

Only silent as I haven't had much to report...I'm serious when I said above I've taken 100+ measurements. HOLMImpulse and I have an incredible relationship now. 

My plan is to get over this big hump and then I can do little things here and there but the first setup is always big for me.  Throw in change and my retentiveness and this is what you get.   :duh:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #807 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:41 pm »

He may have injured himself with 95dB speakers and 300W/channel amplification !

Steve

There is no doubt that I could do some serious damage to my ears if I'm not careful.  The one crazy thing about the Abbeys is the volume.  Since they will keep playing as loud as you can take it the volume is something that I've been paying attention to very carefully.  There is absolutely no distortion whatsoever with high volume.  The room becomes the issue.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #808 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:46 pm »
Jason, man I'm glad you finally got them in! They do look great on those stands if I do say so my self :green: if you ever have a few minutes I'd like to stop by and get a demo from you and the old adage usually holds true " That good things come to those who wait"! Congrats buddy. Randall Kepley

When they're done, you are most certainly welcome to have a listen. 

Yes, the Dr. Geddes designed stands that you made are awesome!   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #809 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:49 pm »
If anyone cares, when I'm closer to having the setup complete I'll post my in room FR with pictures of the setup. 

TomS

« Reply #810 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:19 pm »
There is no doubt that I could do some serious damage to my ears if I'm not careful.  The one crazy thing about the Abbeys is the volume.  Since they will keep playing as loud as you can take it the volume is something that I've been paying attention to very carefully.  There is absolutely no distortion whatsoever with high volume.  The room becomes the issue.

I keep a RS SPL meter on my table full time, just to make sure I don't overdo it. Occasionally I'll look and am kind of shocked. They enable the volume to go to at least 11, maybe 12 if you're inclined  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #811 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:24 pm »
I keep a RS SPL meter on my table full time, just to make sure I don't overdo it. Occasionally I'll look and am kind of shocked. They enable the volume to go to at least 11, maybe 12 if you're inclined  :green:

That's to much work!  I put a piece of fine-line tape on the knob to set the max on my buffer.  Now I know that anything past vertical is to loud to keep healthy ears. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #812 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:20 pm »
Yes, I like them!  The sub integration is still in process due to my tweaking of the room but it will not be an issue.  I will have a flat LFR to 15 Hz.

Cool 8),  :thumb:I was hoping that was the result as we did not hear from you. Enjoy every moment. :green:

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #813 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:22 pm »
  Cool 8),  :thumb:I was hoping that was the result as we did not hear from you. Enjoy every moment. :green:

charles

Thanks!  I'm enjoying almost every moment...I'm learning a TON which is awesome.  In fact, this was worth it just for the small education I've gotten.  OTOH, it's been frustrating at times but I can actually see it coming to an end at some point.   :green:  I've decided that I like listening more then tinkering.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #814 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:32 pm »
I've decided that I like listening more then tinkering.

Amen to that!

George

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #815 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:32 pm »
Are they in your house Jason?? Sorry, I have been kinda laid up...is it soup yet!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #816 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:47 pm »
Are they in your house Jason?? Sorry, I have been kinda laid up...is it soup yet!!

Welcome back Ed! 

See pics here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg903233#msg903233

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #817 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:52 pm »
Thanks JASON!!! and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They look incredible, and I bet sound even better...Jason I'm not sure your a Radiohead fan or not but if so the new CD-hi rez release they have will sound incredible...I can hear it already!!!
PM me and I'll fill you in...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #818 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:18 pm »
Thanks JASON!!! and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They look incredible, and I bet sound even better...Jason I'm not sure your a Radiohead fan or not but if so the new CD-hi rez release they have will sound incredible...I can hear it already!!!
PM me and I'll fill you in...

Hi-rez Radiohead release???  Didn't know that was available - where can that be gotten?

George

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #819 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:30 pm »
Here ya go George:
http://thekingoflimbs.com/