GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

zydeco

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #760 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:49 am »
I, too, have been thinking about getting a pair of the Abbey speakers in an effort to address room interaction issues in my small(ish) room. Another speaker that seems to have a similar set of objectives is the JBL LSR6332  (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=26&MId=5). Is this correct? And has anyone had the chance to compare these two speakers?

Zydeco

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #761 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:03 am »
Zydeco,

I'm really not sure if anybody on this forum has, in fact, I doubt it. However, you might want to ask Patrick Bateman, who owns a pair of Summas and has played with JBL controlled directivity speakers.

All the best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #762 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:37 pm »
I, too, have been thinking about getting a pair of the Abbey speakers in an effort to address room interaction issues in my small(ish) room. Another speaker that seems to have a similar set of objectives is the JBL LSR6332  (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=26&MId=5). Is this correct? And has anyone had the chance to compare these two speakers?

Zydeco

If I were you, I'd try to go listen to some Abbeys. 

zydeco

« Reply #763 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:35 am »
If I were you, I'd try to go listen to some Abbeys.

Good idea but I'd guess that the nearest pair is somewhere between 3,500 to 10,000 miles from home as I'm in South Western Australia. The two speakers are both "controlled directivitity" with the essential difference seeming to be the width It might be different in a large room but for my small room I'm thinking the Abbey is the best bet at minimising the negative impact of short-duration sidewall reflections due to it's having the steeper off-axis decrease. That said, it's all supposition and hence the request for feedback from people who've heard the various speakers.

Zydeco

youngho

« Reply #764 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:26 am »

No, the JBL LSR6332 is designed for wide dispersion. You might be interested to read Robert E Greene's thoughts on it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/message/32604

If you want a JBL product with more directivity, you should pick one with a narrower coverage pattern horn/waveguide (either Bi-Radial or Progressive Transition).

Different horses for different courses.

[edit] I should add that the JBL LSR6332 does seem to be a spectacular embodiment of all that is held to be positive in Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction." It's used in the Harman reference listening room.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #765 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:58 pm »
Good idea but I'd guess that the nearest pair is somewhere between 3,500 to 10,000 miles from home as I'm in South Western Australia.
Zydeco

Would a flight to listen to Dr. Geddes or one of our systems be out of the question?  When mine is up and running you're more then welcome to come hear mine but at that point you might as well go to the Doctors. 

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #766 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm »
Woot, shipping notice on my Nathan today...can't wait to have the center channel up and running.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #767 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm »
Woot, shipping notice on my Nathan today...can't wait to have the center channel up and running.

You lucky dog you. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #768 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:29 pm »
...oh man, I'd be toast right about now after reading this post...hang in Jason!!!!!!! Everyday they get a little closer..

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #769 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:34 am »
...oh man, I'd be toast right about now after reading this post...hang in Jason!!!!!!! Everyday they get a little closer..

:lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #770 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:06 pm »
Just a quick update on the 3 month anniversary. 

The snow in the mid west has slowed down parts being delivered to complete the Abbeys so it will be at least another week now.   :(

I've been told that good things come to those who wait.   :green:  So, I'm almost patiently waiting.   :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #771 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:16 pm »
Sorry to hear about the delay, im going stir crazy just having to wait 2 weeks for my new dac.  :duh:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #772 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about the delay, im going stir crazy just having to wait 2 weeks for my new dac.  :duh:

No worries.  There are much worse things to be waiting for...I'm cool.   8)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #773 on: 4 Feb 2011, 01:18 pm »
Well, as long as there are no snags today, the Abbeys and subs are shipping today.  I'll update when I have the tracking info.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #774 on: 4 Feb 2011, 07:33 pm »
Shipping info just arrived in my inbox.  I can't believe it!!!!!

JDUBS

« Reply #775 on: 4 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm »

Can you post the tracking #s so that we might follow the progress to your doorstep?

-Jim

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #776 on: 4 Feb 2011, 11:27 pm »
Can you post the tracking #s so that we might follow the progress to your doorstep?

-Jim

:rotflmao:

sts9fan

« Reply #777 on: 4 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm »
Yes please list all the stops it makes
arrived at xxxx

we are on the edge of our seats

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #778 on: 5 Feb 2011, 12:14 am »

Congrats!

My Nathan arrived today as well. Got it put all back together (didn't ship the woofer or back panel back) and it's breaking in now.  Can't wait to fire up some movie scenes tongiht  :drool:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #779 on: 5 Feb 2011, 12:19 am »
Yes please list all the stops it makes
arrived at xxxx

we are on the edge of our seats

If you don't care then don't look.  It's really that simple.