GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #660 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:19 pm »
I'm curious, which Ekornes do you have?

Anand.

Hi Anand

All too often people do not get the right furniture for their listening room.  I have two stories to highlight how significant this can be. 

First was when I was at Ford.  We had a problem in a car that just sounded very boomy.  It didn't measure bad, but sounded terrible.  One day I was listening and got up out of the seat for some reason - the boom went away.  We traced the problem to a seat resonance which was excited by the sound system.

Second was in Thailand, in AI's listening room.  We had identical speakers to mine, but the room sounded boomy.  Again it measured fine.  Problem, a cheap Thai sofa that just resonated like crazy.  We did as much as we could to stiffen it and it improved, but I always felt that the sofa had a ring to it.

The point of this is that from what I have seen the Eikornes chairs would be the best possible listening seat.  Very solid, leather, so not too soft and absorbent.  In my theater I have a sofa (2 actually), but they are both made in Scandinavia and both use solid oak for the framing with leather seating surfaces.  Both are minimal stuctures which do not go to the floor.  I simply have not seen furniture made in the US that satisfies me.  Sure the Scandinavian stiff is expensive, but it lasts forever and is built like no other.  One of the sofas is about twenty years old and still looks and feel great. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #661 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:28 pm »
I simply have not seen furniture made in the US that satisfies me. 

Hmm.  Come to NC and my wonderful wife (degreed interior designer) will educate you on some.   :D

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #662 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »
no sarchasm intended :scratch:

I feel it is a valid question.  The guy built some amazing sub enclosures using aluminum.

refer to the variations portion on wikipedia link below(it mentions high frequency audiometry):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_tone_audiometry

Also you can find audiometry equipment that exceeds 20khz on the web with a quick google search. Just FYI

A touring pair would be a cool idea, most people will invite their friends and fellow audiophiles over for group listening sessions.  fwiw.  Glad to hear business is brisk for you.  As an aside, based on your endorsement on your Gedlee Forum I should have a pair of Ultimate Ear 10's by tuesday.

Thank You

Hi Bear

Sorry, but the alluminium comment just sounded odd since the speakers could not be made in alluminium and that seemed obvious to me.

I read the Wiki link, but there is only a sketchy statement about above 8 kHz.  I did a search on Google and came up with nothing that goes above 8 kHz.  I asked Lidia and she knew of no equipment that tests above 8 kHz nor any standards defined that high.  Maybe there are tests like this, but they are not at all commonplace.  The main point being that above 8 kHz is generally believed by professionals to be inconsequential.

turkey

« Reply #663 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »
I have not seen a review that addressed the quick hf roll-off of the Abbey. 

Speakers that are flat in the hf are normally perceived to be too bright. Also, there really isn't a whole lot happening at high frequencies in most recordings, and even if there is, it won't make it to the listening position.

Considering that all the designs require subs where is the advantage in the larger higher cost designs?

Better control of directivity and higher power handling.

Another issue with this design is the implementation of the multiple sub protocol.  According to Dr. Geddes nearly any sub will do.  If those subs produces a one-note/peak or dip FR respons  e then the result will be......one note bass and drums etc.?

I am using inexpensive subs, and I'm getting bass that is better than anything else I've ever had in my listening room. It's also better than what I've heard with far more expensive speaker systems at other's houses or at dealers.
It would appear that the midrange in this design has been isolated/focused and all frequencies that fall outside this isolated/focused range are muddied and therefore cause the midrange to be perceived as very clear. 

Nothing muddied here. :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #664 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:38 pm »
Sorry, but the alluminium comment just sounded odd since the speakers could not be made in alluminium and that seemed obvious to me.

I wouldn't say it can't be done...if one has the (bucket) money, I'll take the challenge.  And the money!   :wink:

turkey

« Reply #665 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:39 pm »
Hi,

I thought the frequency range of human hearing is from 20Hz - 20KHz?   

On average that's correct. However, you also need to look at equal loudness contours and what's actually present in recordings and at live venues.

You may very well be able to hear a 20 KHz tone during a hearing test, but that doesn't mean you will ever hear anything that high while listening to music.

turkey

« Reply #666 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:44 pm »

The Cleveland area, may also be a possibility. I get out there every so often to visit some family. 

That might work. I'm pretty close to there.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #667 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:37 pm »
That statement in my opinion is that you are there in a LIVE SET.  The sound isn't fake.  The width, height, depth is real.  It really is.  Like any speaker the recording quality will dictate how good it comes across.  This is not to say that poor quality recordings can't be enjoyed, I personally found them very much enjoyable and fun to listen to.  The good ones though will knock you on your a$$ from giggling so much because it's real.

As for the top end, for me it's just right.  I'm very top end sensitive and the Abbeys just do it right.  The overall tone and balance is so darn good it's scary. 

Like any speaker, I urge you to go listen to these properly setup.  If you do, you will hear what I'm attempting to say.  I always find these things difficult to type so it reads like I hear.  If that makes any sense....  These speakers are different and unlike anything I've heard at all price points.  I've made it clear in other postings that the Kaiser Speaker from Germany was something that I seriously considered.  Then I got smart.   :D  I have no doubt that those speakers would NOT sound as good as I heard them in my room.  The great thing about the GedLee speakers is that they don't require massive amounts of space around them in a large room.  In fact, they are suited for a "normal" listening space.  Of course, if you have a large ballroom, you'll be in heaven becuase they can still fill that space as they love to be cranked.  The driver doesn't move...

Does this help you any?

EDIT:
I was a long time electostat owner.  From ML's to Final Sound.  It was said to me "these are like stats with balls".  I didn't really understand what that meant until I heard them.  Now it makes sense but I'll add that they have the great things about stats but without the negatives.

Thanks for the comments. They helped. I'm very critical of the topend myself. It cannot be thin, crisp, bright or over detailed. That is my first criteria.
  As good as the sound is for me with the pipedreams my room is only 17x20 is niether a true rectangle or square. Lots of angled walls. Clg is very low a 7ft. Its odd like me.  8). Anyways it appears my goal of a dedicated new room has to wait. So I'm thinking buy the Geddes and store the Pipes for now.
  My issue is that  I require an audition first. The purchase I ever made without an audition in my home was the Cyber 211 amp. Although pleased its just not my style.
  Anad you may have more visitors.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #668 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:53 pm »
 Ok $2000 for main speakers, three subs $1800 a Berhinger say $400. Say $4200 total is that correct ? Without stands. I guess a good 14ga solid core speaker wire would suffice, no need for exotics here. Another perk.
  Very impressed that Geddes sends you the settings for the EQ after one submits measurements. I really like that service. Brilliant!!
  Next question SS or tubes [ subjective I realize]. What amp does the good ol doctor use for voicing ? If it was mentioned before I didn't notice.
  I gotta hear these thingies.

charles

TomS

« Reply #669 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:58 pm »
Ok $2000 for main speakers, three subs $1800 a Berhinger say $400. Say $4200 total is that correct ? Without stands. I guess a good 14ga solid core speaker wire would suffice, no need for exotics here. Another perk.
  Very impressed that Geddes sends you the settings for the EQ after one submits measurements. I really like that service. Brilliant!!
  Next question SS or tubes [ subjective I realize]. What amp does the good ol doctor use for voicing ? If it was mentioned before I didn't notice.

charles
It's $4000 for the Abbeys (per pair) plus subs, sub amps, and Behringer.  Earl uses a Pioneer receiver in his everyday HT setup.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #670 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:17 pm »

charles

Charles,

As Tom noted it's $4k total ($2k each speaker) as Dr. Geddes does that due to the HT systems that he also does. 

When Anand finishes his system it will be a 7.3   8)

Subs are so open as turkey here says his system sounds great using three inexpensive subs and Anand as I mentioned has no slouch of a multi sub system either.  One Rythmik and two U Frame subs.  I'm choosing to go with two GedLee bandpass subs and use my two current Rythmik subs. 

If it's worth doing it's worth doing right.   :green:   :oops:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #671 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:08 am »

Thanks for the comments. They helped. I'm very critical of the topend myself. It cannot be thin, crisp, bright or over detailed. That is my first criteria.
  As good as the sound is for me with the pipedreams my room is only 17x20 is niether a true rectangle or square. Lots of angled walls. Clg is very low a 7ft. Its odd like me.  8). Anyways it appears my goal of a dedicated new room has to wait. So I'm thinking buy the Geddes and store the Pipes for now.
  My issue is that  I require an audition first. The purchase I ever made without an audition in my home was the Cyber 211 amp. Although pleased its just not my style.
  Anad you may have more visitors.

charles

I'm glad that my rambling was able to help you some.  I highly doubt that your room is as tough as Anand's.  Not only is he fighting a tough room but also an old house.  If I were blind folded before entering, and removed the blind fold after listening I would've soiled my pants. 

Proper setup & speakers...that's all it is.  In Anand's case, it can only get better...and it will in about 8 months.   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #672 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:27 am »

jtwrace...
I wouldn't say it can't be done...if one has the (bucket) money, I'll take the challenge.  And the money! 

For $65,000.00 you can get..... :?
"The Krell Modulari Duo Reference is a blatantly original, thoroughly masculine design; but at 44 inches tall, 11 wide and 29 deep, it can still fit in average-sized rooms. Each speaker weighs 345 pounds.

It’s fair to assume the bulk of the weight can be attributed to its thick-walled aluminum construction. If the goal was to make an absolutely dead cabinet, I’d say D’Agostino’s done it."

Krell had them at RMAF...few year ago.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #673 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm »
Abbey To Do
Decide on Abbey order.  Check
Decide on GedLee Bandpass sub order.  Check
Decide on amp(s) for subs.   :scratch:
Work on stand for Abbeys.  Check (in process)
New active for system. 
send lots of email, PM's and post here   :oops: Check... :thumb:

Thank Anand again.   :thumb:

dwr

« Reply #674 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:14 am »
Hey Jason,

What is the impedance of Earls sub 4 or 8 ohm??

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #675 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:20 am »
Hey Jason,

What is the impedance of Earls sub 4 or 8 ohm??

Dan

dwr

« Reply #676 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:24 am »
OK good then bridging amps is still a possibility for your Geddes subs.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #677 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:46 am »
Back to topic.

Has anyone here tried to use foam in the bandpass sub ports for tuning?

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #678 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:06 am »
Back to topic.

Has anyone here tried to use foam in the bandpass sub ports for tuning?

I don't have Earl's subs, but can tell you it is not recommended.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #679 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:21 am »
Thanks.

Also, I notice in your system profile that you have SDS Class D.  Do you drive your band pass subs with them?  How do they do?  SQ?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 12:37 pm by jtwrace »