GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

mgalusha

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #640 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:54 pm »
It was said to me "these are like stats with balls".  I didn't really understand what that meant until I heard them.  Now it makes sense but I'll add that they have the great things about stats but without the negatives.

Funny, the first time my audio buddy Jerry heard mine he made that very statement and he's owned several stat's and other planar speakers.

Glad you enjoyed your visit with Anand, I have no doubt the system sounded as you describe.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #641 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:05 pm »
To the Abbey owners what height stands do you use? 

I'm 5' 9" with typical height proportion (i.e. not super long torso).  If I could only say the same on width...

dwr

« Reply #642 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:16 pm »
Jason, my stands are 19 1/2" I built my own. I came about that size because I wanted the center of the waveguide at the same level as my ears when in the listening seat. In my chair my ears are 41" off the floor thus the 19 1/2" stand puts the center of the waveguide 41" off the floor. I played around with different size stands from 18 - 21" high. In my room when I get above the 19 1/2" mark the image gets too high for my preference. When you were listening yesterday did you notice if the image was at waveguide level or above or below that level at all. In my room the image appears about 4 -6" above the plane of the waveguides. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #643 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:20 pm »
Jason, my stands are 19 1/2" I built my own. I came about that size because I wanted the center of the waveguide at the same level as my ears when in the listening seat. In my chair my ears are 41" off the floor thus the 19 1/2" stand puts the center of the waveguide 41" off the floor. I played around with different size stands from 18 - 21" high. In my room when I get above the 19 1/2" mark the image gets too high for my preference. When you were listening yesterday did you notice if the image was at waveguide level or above or below that level at all. In my room the image appears about 4 -6" above the plane of the waveguides.

OK.  I know that Anands stands are 14" tall.  I would say that the image was below.  I would prefer it to be a bit higher.     :dunno: :scratch:    It was really good.

dwr

« Reply #644 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:24 pm »
One thing you can do when you get the speakers is pick up a pair of the little stand/table that Ikea sells for like $12 a piece they are exactly 18" tall and the Abbeys fit well in them, you can raise them by shimming them to try different and find the size that suits your needs.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #645 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm »
One thing you can do when you get the speakers is pick up a pair of the little stand/table that Ikea sells for like $12 a piece they are exactly 18" tall and the Abbeys fit well in them, you can raise them by shimming them to try different and find the size that suits your needs.

Dan

That's good to know.   :thumb: 

I was going to get nuts and make an aluminum version that I was able to easily change the height.  I had the design all done in my head but it will be way to expensive.  I can't justify 30% cost of the Abbey in the stand.   :duh:

dwr

« Reply #646 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
Yeah I don't remember the damned name of the Ikea piece but here is a pic of one, and no they don't come in that lovely yellow, my wife painted them that color she uses them in her photography room.

mgalusha

« Reply #647 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:18 pm »
My stands are about 18" and like Dan, configured them put the center of the WG at about my ear level. I originally had them at 24", which put the midpoint of the speakers about ear level. I found the images a bit high for my liking as well.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #648 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:47 pm »
Okay, I'm feeling a bit better about this now.

My stands are about 15 inches. But when you measure my ear to the floor and measure the center of the waveguide to the floor, they measure about the same. Still a couple inches taller will probably tweak the soundstage a little better. I'm about 5ft 9 inches tall. I know that Mike and Tom are big 6 footers right?

Anand.

mgalusha

« Reply #649 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm »
I know that Mike and Tom are big 6 footers right?

I'm 6'2" and I suspect Tom is about the same. I'm one of those long torso types but my listening throne is not real high, works out well for me. :)

dwr

« Reply #650 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:32 pm »
Yes I am 6'1" so yeah you sound like you are doing about the same Anand, the measurement that matters is the one to where YOUR ears are from the floor. As Mike did I had mine higher initially as it was recommended that the center point of the front baffle be at ear level and that put the image too high for my liking.

Dan

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #651 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:19 pm »
20" stands here.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #652 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
Wow! I feel like a midget  :P
Anand.

dwr

« Reply #653 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:59 pm »
Nah Anand, once we are all sitting in our respective chairs its all a moot point!! :thumb:

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #654 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:14 am »
Based on all of this I'd say 17" or maybe 18" with the spikes and decouplers from stand to Abbey would be sweet. 

My ears are ~37" at the listening position.

JDUBS

« Reply #655 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:48 am »

Dan

Dan, what are the top dimensions?

Jim

dwr

« Reply #656 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:10 am »
Hi Jim, the top dimensions are 13 3/4" front to back and 14" across. They will take a good amount of weight too. It held all of my 230 lb lard butt with no trouble.

Dan

TomS

« Reply #657 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:11 am »
My new stands are at about 20".  Floor to my ears is 39".  I am 6'2" and my Ekornes sits a bit low so it all works out just right for me.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #658 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:19 am »
My new stands are at about 20".  Floor to my ears is 39".  I am 6'2" and my Ekornes sits a bit low so it all works out just right for me.

I'm curious, which Ekornes do you have?

Anand.

TomS

« Reply #659 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:42 am »
I'm curious, which Ekornes do you have?

Anand.
Vegas, cuz I'm a big guy, with the Royalin leather.  Expensive but worth every penny...  Don't know why I waited so long.