• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #540 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:03 pm »
Thanks!

The others...

jhm731

« Reply #541 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:55 am »
If anyone has the Abbey 12a with the solid polyurethane cabinets, could you please post a picture of the front and rear panels.

Also if any Abbey owner has a picture of it's pulse response, I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #542 on: 6 Dec 2010, 01:21 pm »
If anyone has the Abbey 12a with the solid polyurethane cabinets, could you please post a picture of the front and rear panels.

Also if any Abbey owner has a picture of it's pulse response, I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

I think all the info you need is here http://gedlee.com/ and http://gedlee.com/abbey.htm

jhm731

« Reply #543 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:42 pm »
I think all the info you need is here http://gedlee.com/ and http://gedlee.com/abbey.htm

No back panel picture or pulse response in those links.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #544 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:46 pm »

Egeddes@gedlee.com

TomS

« Reply #545 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:35 pm »
I'm not sure I've seen impulse other than what I've done myself, which is crude at best.  Earl would probably be more inclined to point you to the polar plots that come with each individually measured pair.

dwr

« Reply #546 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:43 pm »
jhm, go on my gallery I put some shots of the front and back of the Abbey 12A speakers. For some reason I see no way of attaching a picture to my post.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #547 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:46 pm »
jhm, go on my gallery I put some shots of the front and back of the Abbey 12A speakers. For some reason I see no way of attaching a picture to my post.

Dan

Use the button that looks like a picture on the second row 1st position.  You can attach from there.   :thumb:

jhm Also, why do you want to see pictures of the back?  Just curious.

dwr

« Reply #548 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:47 pm »
Thanks man :o

dwr

« Reply #549 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:55 pm »
Like this?

dwr

« Reply #550 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:56 pm »
OK got it! :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #551 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:07 pm »
Use the button that looks like a picture on the second row 1st position.  You can attach from there.   :thumb:

jhm Also, why do you want to see pictures of the back?  Just curious.

Dan- Thanks.

jtwrace - I wanted to see how the back panel is attached on the solid polyurethane cabinets.

TomS

« Reply #552 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:09 pm »
That looks pretty much like my MDF ones...

dwr

« Reply #553 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:20 pm »
Yes as far as that goes I believe the back panel is MDF, as for attachment I had these speakers back over at Earl's about a month ago to remeasure and do frequency sweeps on them after a couple months of play time on them. We opened up one of the speakers and that back panel is extremely secure and sealed very well onto the Poly cabinet, and the crossover is a thing of beauty, sorry no pics of that, you'll have to buy your own pair to see that.

Dan

dwr

« Reply #554 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:25 pm »
The big advantage to the upgrade to 12A is the fact that you don't see the mounting screws on the woofer as it is mounted from the back, and the fact that the poly is much easier to put a finish on as well as supposedly being less resonant than MDF. It really is a neat material, I was looking at it at Earl's place and he even offered to sell me a 4x8 sheet of it for my subwoofer cabinet that I was building but the cost was crazy high, like 10x the price of mdf.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #555 on: 6 Dec 2010, 10:52 pm »
you'll have to buy your own pair to see that.

Dan

Good on you!   :thumb:

turkey

« Reply #556 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm »
Excellent thank you both for the replies, I am going to build the gainclone first and see how I like it, I should get about 60 wpc out of it and if you are getting 40 wpc and its fine Ishould have plenty of power. I'll let you guys know how it sounds when I get it finishe, probably won't be till after the holidays though. Thanks again.

I would suggest a chip amp also. Most of the work has already been done, and they're pretty easy to get good results out of.

It appears to be much harder to get good results out of a Class D design, and some of the cheap Chinese designs are really awful.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #557 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:17 pm »
It appears to be much harder to get good results out of a Class D design

Are you speaking from experience?  Anand seemed to be happy enough to build one for his Abbey setup. 

dwr

« Reply #558 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm »
Turkey the gainclone that I am planning to build is a chip amp I believe, it is a dual mono design based on the LM3886 chip.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #559 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:50 am »
I can't believe it's almost here...this Saturday I get to listen to the patented GedLee Technology.