GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

dwr

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #480 on: 6 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
Anand, once again I totally agree with everything you said in your post to Roy. I also have listened to the Summa, Abbey and Nathan, and your remarks about the Abbey and Nathan with respect to the differences and prices are spot on. Also on the dip at 0 degrees, I took my Abbey12As back over to Earls place so he could photo them for his website and so he could run frequency sweeps on both speakers after a month of use and "break in". It was very interesting watching Earl do the sweeps and you can actually see the on axis dip disappear in the measurements as the measurements are taken. He measures starting from 0 degrees at 16 degree intervals to 180 degrees. You can see the dip begin to lessen at 16 degrees and is almost gone at 32 degrees then at 48 degrees is completely gone. I was very impressed with Earls procedure for measuring the speakers and I learned a few things too on how to perform the measurements and what they mean. He also measured the two speakers output compared to each other and they were within less than 1/2 of 1dB of each other which was as low as the measurement program would measure in the mode he was testing in, so needless to say I am very impressed with the science behind as well as Earls attention to detail with the way he designs and manufactures his speakers.

Dan

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #481 on: 6 Nov 2010, 06:17 pm »
Of course, toeing the speakers in at 45º does not mean you are listening at 45º off the speakers' axes, if the set up is the usual equilateral triangle - more like 15º.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #482 on: 6 Nov 2010, 06:21 pm »
If you're ever serious about that Tyson, I'd happily help you move the gear, because that would be a fun listening session!

Heck yeah!  Of course, it might be nice if I actually asked Mike, before inviting myself over ;)

I should be finished building the V2's this weekend, I'm pretty stoked to see how the final product turns out.  Once it's done, I'm ready/willing/able to do a listening session.

dwr

« Reply #483 on: 6 Nov 2010, 06:51 pm »
You are correct in theory Russel, in my particular setup it works out to 22 degrees which is what Earls dedicated theater is setup at also.

turkey

« Reply #484 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:17 pm »
Of course, toeing the speakers in at 45º does not mean you are listening at 45º off the speakers' axes, if the set up is the usual equilateral triangle - more like 15º.

My Nathans are toed-in so the axes cross in front of the listening position. The outside front corners of the enclosures point at the listening position. I'm listening at roughly 22.5 degrees off axis.

Tyson

« Reply #485 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:05 pm »
You sure it's not roughly 22.3 degrees off axis?  :P

turkey

« Reply #486 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:12 pm »
You sure it's not roughly 22.3 degrees off axis?  :P

:)

But seriously, 1/2 of 45 is 22.5, and I said "roughly 22.5" because I didn't measure the exact angle that's in use in my listening room. It could well be off by a few degrees plus or minus.

Tyson

« Reply #487 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:15 pm »
Oh I get it, I just thought it was funny on face value.  Plus I kinda ribbed you a bit harder on the Directional cables thread.  I'm just in a bit of a sarcastic mood this morning, and you just happened to have posted most recently ;)

Mainly I'm just putting off getting the final veneering work done on my V2's!

turkey

« Reply #488 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:21 pm »
Oh I get it, I just thought it was funny on face value.  Plus I kinda ribbed you a bit harder on the Directional cables thread.  I'm just in a bit of a sarcastic mood this morning, and you just happened to have posted most recently ;)

I kind of figured you did get it, but I agree that what I initially wrote was funny. :)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #489 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:24 pm »
This post just in from Earl:

Just finished the "new" Harpers a few days ago - built and tested the first prototype. I will ship the first ones on my return.

Next up - maybe an Abbey Supreme - a solid wood cabinet - I figured out how to do this at a reasonable cost - still much more than the standard, but much less than having to have individual baffles cut on a CNC machine.

A solid wood Abbey! WAF, here we come! I'm figuring the Harpers are being upgraded to the 'A' version with the poly enclosure. Harper 8A.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #490 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:35 pm »
Next up - maybe an Abbey Supreme - a solid wood cabinet - I figured out how to do this at a reasonable cost - still much more than the standard, but much less than having to have individual baffles cut on a CNC machine.[/b]
Anand.

:o

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #491 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:22 pm »
Anyone heard any more about the wood Abbey cabinets? 

Exactly one month until I lsten to them.   :hyper:

I've never been this patient.   :D

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #492 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:36 pm »
Earl told me that they are not an option any longer as it is too difficult to do.

I am looking forward to your report.  Have you sent in money?

Cheers,

James

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #493 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:40 pm »
Earl told me that they are not an option any longer as it is too difficult to do.
Oh, that was a quick turn from what Anand posted.   :scratch:

I am looking forward to your report.  Have you sent in money?

I have sent funds to secure my spot in queue...just in case.  It's a process so every month counts. 

sts9fan

« Reply #494 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:13 pm »
Great product but a process for sure. 

dwr

« Reply #495 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm »
Yep it is quite a process, but you know what......it really is all worth it as I sit here jamming to Savoy Brown and it sounds like they are right in front of me on stage!!

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #496 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
Yep it is quite a process, but you know what......it really is all worth it as I sit here jamming to Savoy Brown and it sounds like they are right in front of me on stage!!

Dan

That's awesome!  Wish I was there...

TomS

« Reply #497 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:58 am »
Yeah, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds are helping me with my power conditioner right now  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #498 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:32 pm »
Yeah, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds are helping me with my power conditioner right now  :thumb:

:cry:  Couple of my favorites...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #499 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:02 am »
I went to the GedLee site to get the sub specs and they seem to be removed.  Can anyone help me out with them?

:thumb: