GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #440 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:39 pm »

I wonder how Candy Apple Red would look? :)

Earl recently e-mailed me and said that he had built a pair of Nathan 10A's in that very color. He said it came out real nice and he will be posting it on his site.

I've thought that blue metallic would be real cool as well. He really should be able to do any automotive finish out there with the new poly material.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #441 on: 3 Nov 2010, 06:37 pm »
I personally think that flat black/dark gray is an understated color choice.  Your wife is placing you on the right track  :thumb:

I'm glad you agree.  With her.   :)

Come Saturday when Dr. Geddes has my check, I'll officially be in queue.  That is when I hear them and I like them and want to continue this journey...

dwr

« Reply #442 on: 3 Nov 2010, 06:49 pm »
JTW I find the same as Turkey, my speakers are also out in front of the TV by about 3 feet so the reflection from the TV is a non issue, remember the speakers are toed in at about 45 degrees so there is no surface on the speaker that could reflect back from the TV and be seen at the viewing/listening position. As for the gloss or satin finish that is completely a personal choice. Myself I like the gloss much more than the satin, and if I could do the finish over on mine I too would get them done in a dark dark red candy apple type finish. But I am completely happy with the high gloss black that Earl put on mine, they are beautiful.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #443 on: 3 Nov 2010, 10:25 pm »
JTW I find the same as Turkey, my speakers are also out in front of the TV by about 3 feet so the reflection from the TV is a non issue, remember the speakers are toed in at about 45 degrees so there is no surface on the speaker that could reflect back from the TV and be seen at the viewing/listening position. As for the gloss or satin finish that is completely a personal choice. Myself I like the gloss much more than the satin, and if I could do the finish over on mine I too would get them done in a dark dark red candy apple type finish. But I am completely happy with the high gloss black that Earl put on mine, they are beautiful.

:thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #444 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:05 pm »
6 wks until I meet Abbey (the speaker).   :hyper:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #445 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
Is this something you're going to listen to, or are you planning on having sex with it?   :wink:

Seriously though, I understand the anticipation factor.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #446 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:27 pm »
Is this something you're going to listen to, or are you planning on having sex with it?   :wink:

Seriously though, I understand the anticipation factor.

Well it's going to be at my house, and I'm still looking for a large enough prophylactic to protect my Abbey's  :lol:

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #447 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:53 pm »
I have the Abbeys... purchased them last summer and have been quite content with them.  In fact, in a lot of ways, they changed the hobby for me.  I'm getting the resolution, dynamics, soundstage, and imaging I expected I'd have to pay a lot more for...and I've just been using an inexpensive receiver recommended by Earl.  The Abbeys have clearly shown me that investing in loudspeakers is THE way to go from here on out.  I could easily see a lot of people on this forum being happier if they'd sell their expensive electronics, pick up a pair of Abbeys, and just be done with it all for a few years (until something clearly superior arrives).

You certainly don't NEED 3 subs, Earl just recommends three or more subs to ANY setup.  The Abbeys don't really require anything special, setup-wise, except you have to be able to fit speakers of that size in your setup.

Compared to some other nice high-end offerings I've heard or used in home, what the Abbeys do better are:

Coherency
Dynamics
Imaging
Resolution

I'll try to be more in depth when I'm not typing a post at near 2 a.m. after a long day.

I don't know how I missed this post but that's great.    :thumb:  Do you mind telling us what they replaced in your house?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #448 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:55 pm »
Well it's going to be at my house, and I'm still looking for a large enough prophylactic to protect my Abbey's  :lol:

Anand.

:nono:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #449 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:22 pm »
I don't know how I missed this post but that's great.    :thumb:  Do you mind telling us what they replaced in your house?

Cujobob was a previous owner of the Neo2X (which he sold for reasons other than sound quality), and is a current owner of the OB7 in addition to the Abbeys if I am not mistaken.

Anand.

cujobob

« Reply #450 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:39 am »
That's all true.  My favorite extreme value speakers before the Abbeys were the GR-Research models.  I feel the Abbeys are better in most ways, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that Danny's offerings are outstanding and worth checking out.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #451 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:06 am »
Yep......depends on the GR model your comparing it to also....all the ones mentioned are well under a grand.
Have you heard the V series?......seems they are more in line cost wise with the GedLee offerings.

sts9fan

« Reply #452 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:33 am »
GR bla bla bla.  Gedlee?  I have had both and Gedlee is way better.

TomS

« Reply #453 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:37 am »
Yep......depends on the GR model your comparing it to also....all the ones mentioned are well under a grand.
Have you heard the V series?......seems they are more in line cost wise with the GedLee offerings.
I've heard the GR SuperV's at RMAF and they indeed sound very good.  I live with the bottom half myself  :thumb:

The Abbey 12A's are $3800 fully assembled now, plus at least 1 sub.  The kit prices for the GR SuperV's are about $2.5k, so what was the fully assembled price for the cool looking yellow RMAF show pair, maybe about $6-7k?

JDUBS

« Reply #454 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:46 am »

Which GR vs. which Gedlee?  Kind of makes a difference.

-Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #455 on: 5 Nov 2010, 04:18 am »
I've heard the GR SuperV's at RMAF and they indeed sound very good.  I live with the bottom half myself  :thumb:

The Abbey 12A's are $3800 fully assembled now, plus at least 1 sub.  The kit prices for the GR SuperV's are about $2.5k, so what was the fully assembled price for the cool looking yellow RMAF show pair, maybe about $6-7k?

Don't the Abbey 12As need at least 3 subs to perform as advertised?

-Roy

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #456 on: 5 Nov 2010, 04:39 am »
Not sure what the total price for the bells and whistles yellow jobs were......my V-1s were about $2300 finished.
Unless yellow makes it sound better.....thats your call.
$3800....+ one sub of decent value.....or 3 subs=$??

Sts.....thats great....happy for you!!....but both of what??....$ to $ I'm talking.

Was just saying .....cant compare a $800 speak to a $4k speak....Volkswagan and porche.....theres a difference.

I dont want to start a flame war....like Orion and GR... :nono:

Just saying.....if your going to compare.....make it oranges to oranges......

I'm sure the GedLee offerings sound fantastic........As do the GRs.....just no 4K kits offered.....and they come with OB servo subs for that price.......something to consider.....if we are making comparisons

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #457 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:18 am »

Have you listened to both the Abbey and the Super V in the same room in an A-B comparison? I'm interested in both speakers but I'm sure that it would difficult set up that kind of audition/comparison. So unless that situation is available it's only speculation as to which is actually the best performer.

-Roy

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #458 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:53 am »
Have you listened to both the Abbey and the Super V in the same room in an A-B comparison? I'm interested in both speakers but I'm sure that it would difficult set up that kind of audition/comparison. So unless that situation is available it's only speculation as to which is actually the best performer.

-Roy

Roy is right. You will likely never be able to audition them at the same venue. GedLee speakers require a different level of setup with the multiple subs,etc... (although 3 aren't required per se, it's just ideal and that is discussed in a different thread).

It's best not to speculate obviously, although you can theoretically which does nobody any favors on a public forum to be honest.

The comparison should stop right here. If you want to know, go listen to both speakers, that's what I have advised many AC'ers to do. I only mentioned what cujobob currently has, and what he had owned as a point of fact, not as a point of comparison. And on top of that you really can't compare the prices too literally. One speaker kit comes with the enclosure, the other doesn't. Both can come fully built, however the GedLee is a set price while the GR Research offerings are very variable as different third party builders/finishers charge different prices. As for the sound, go listen to both, and if you can't - I feel bad for you. I'm pretty sure you will have one set liking one type of speaker while another set liking another - kind of like the wide range of opinions at RMAF.

Let's keep it peaceful here...

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #459 on: 5 Nov 2010, 06:30 am »
WOW.  I sit on a plane for 5 hrs and this happens? 

My original plan was to purchase Super V's and the Abbeys.  The issue I had with the Super V's is simple.  If I make my own cabinets they will cost me waay more than the $3800 for the Abbeys.  There is no economical way to do it.  If I pay someone else they will be $6k +.  I will hear the Super V's....