GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

cloudbaseracer

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #340 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:07 pm »
Ok- I am not trying to cause a debate at all.  So if you have powered subs, you would still need a splitter?  Is this not correct?  Given more than one sub- ala 3,4 or 5?

I am trying to figure how I can use my receiver to power the mains and then get the signal to the subs or the amp that is powering the subs.  The dual outputs would only work when going into a multi-channel amp that is powering the subs, right?  Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else but me :duh:

Cheers,

James

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #341 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:13 pm »
Ok- I am not trying to cause a debate at all.  So if you have powered subs, you would still need a splitter?  Is this not correct?  Given more than one sub- ala 3,4 or 5?

I am trying to figure how I can use my receiver to power the mains and then get the signal to the subs or the amp that is powering the subs.  The dual outputs would only work when going into a multi-channel amp that is powering the subs, right?  Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else but me :duh:

Cheers,

James

Dual outputs are outputs.  As long as they're stereo it doesn't matter.  Post the model # of your unit and we'll get you sorted.  How's that? 

Are you a GedLee customer?  If so, which model speaker?

mgalusha

« Reply #342 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm »
James has been using Panasonic digital receivers being fed an S/PDIF signal so I'm not sure if it even has line level outputs.

I see basically two options if you wish to continue using the current receiver if preamp outputs are not available.

1) run the subs off the speaker terminals, you can daisy chain them. I have my three wired this way, works well for me.

2) build/buy a adapter that converts speaker level output to line level and then use the line level inputs on the subs. Given that you would be taking the signal from the speakers this isn't much different from option 1.

In either case be careful connecting the grounds of the speaker outputs. On some stereo amps the grounds of the speaker terminals float and connecting them together can kill the amp. Some subs have the grounds tied together and some don't. Most sub plate amps have the grounds of the line level inputs tied together, so if you wanted/had to use line inputs it would be best to sum and attenuate the speaker level outputs before connecting them to the plate amp. If they are summed you would only need one input to the sub.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #343 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:32 pm »
Does anyone know if Dr. Geddes has any speaker stand design suggestion?  Is less contact better?  I would imagine that he would prefer no sharp corners and as much of it to be round?  Yes? 

I have a pretty slick design / idea.  I think.   :green:

I've been putting some thoughts together just in case this happens.  I would need to make something for them.   :D  CAD > Aluminum > CNC  8)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #344 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
This is where Bose makes an unexpected appearance!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #345 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:44 pm »
This is where Bose makes an unexpected appearance!

:?:

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #346 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:44 pm »
Mike,

The Panasonic has a subwoofer out (which I assume is line-level?). So I would run that to a powered sub and then connect the remaining subs (2,3,4,etc.) as you suggested in a daisy chain? 

If running with non-powered subs I would send this subwoofer out signal to a multi-channel amp that would then of course have the individual connections for each sub?  Wouldn't the multi-channel amp need both a l/r input?

turkey

« Reply #347 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:45 pm »
:?:

Bose has some stands that will evidently work with the Abbeys.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #348 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:49 pm »
here's a link:
http://tinyurl.com/2fa6xnh
and Dr Geddes comment from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19217952
"The Bose stands are quite acceptable. I think that they look great as well. And I like the fact that they would have minimal diffraction."

turkey

« Reply #349 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm »
Does anyone know if Dr. Geddes has any speaker stand design suggestion?  Is less contact better?  I would imagine that he would prefer no sharp corners and as much of it to be round?  Yes? 

They have to be sturdy, because the speakers are pretty hefty. A square top platform would work fine as long as it is smaller than the bottom side of the Abbeys. I don't think it needs to have its edges rounded off as long as it doesn't just out in front. (That's not to say that you couldn't round it off if you wanted to.)

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #350 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm »
Here was an answer to a similar question I had about the multiple subs with a single output that Geddes advised
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.msg524397#msg524397

I decided to use a Dodd buffer as it is perfect device to drive such a situation.

mgalusha

« Reply #351 on: 12 Oct 2010, 09:17 pm »
Mike,

The Panasonic has a subwoofer out (which I assume is line-level?). So I would run that to a powered sub and then connect the remaining subs (2,3,4,etc.) as you suggested in a daisy chain? 

If running with non-powered subs I would send this subwoofer out signal to a multi-channel amp that would then of course have the individual connections for each sub?  Wouldn't the multi-channel amp need both a l/r input?

The link TraderXfan posted has a great answer. If you were running passive subs and used a multi channel amp, you would only need 1 input per channel that you were using. If you were using 4 channels, then 4 inputs. If the input impedance is high enough you can use Y splitters to daisy chain them without loading the sub out of your receiver too much. Kinda depends on how high the input impedance of the amp is. If it was 100K on each channel then 4 in parallel would be 25K, an easy load for the sub out.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #352 on: 12 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm »
I decided to use a Dodd buffer as it is perfect device to drive such a situation.

Great choice IMO.  I couldn't be happier with mine.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #353 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:07 pm »
Is this an accurate statement?

Speaker distortion at high volumes can lead to ear fatigue which can cause headaches.

True or False? 

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #354 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:16 pm »
Is this an accurate statement?

Speaker distortion at high volumes can lead to ear fatigue which can cause headaches.

True or False?

Not understanding what this is doing here... are you asking Geddes, or is this a backdoor question about horn "honk" or something?

Try this
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/121253-geddes-distortion-perception.html

-Tony

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #355 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:40 pm »
Not understanding what this is doing here... are you asking Geddes, or is this a backdoor question about horn "honk" or something?

Try this
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/121253-geddes-distortion-perception.html

-Tony

No back door here. 

I thought I would ask in this thread as one of the characteristics of the GedLee speakers is the high volume less distortion.  Correct?  So why not ask here as I may get some answers that have science behind them?   :thumb:

Just thought this question would go well with this thread... :oops:

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #356 on: 14 Oct 2010, 08:42 pm »
"Horn honk", or HOMs, are said to cause irritation, not necessarily distortion.  But high sound levels themselves would as well.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #357 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:35 pm »
I find any amount of continual sound even at moderate volumes or low volumes to be fatiguing.  There's a time for sound and a time for quite.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #358 on: 15 Oct 2010, 02:43 am »
Have any of you guys heard the Audiokinesis speakers?  If so, how do they compare to the Abbeys and what are the differences?

Cheers,

James

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #359 on: 16 Oct 2010, 12:35 am »
Have any of you guys heard the Audiokinesis speakers?  If so, how do they compare to the Abbeys and what are the differences?

Cheers,

James

I heard the DreamMakers at RMAF a few years back.  I haven't heard the Abbey yet.   :hyper: