« Reply #920 on: 27 Apr 2011, 02:05 am »
Right on Perry!  A "Venue" like that would be a great idea!! :wink:

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #921 on: 27 Apr 2011, 02:27 am »
Sounds like ya'll need to make the trip to Denver for RMAF!

cujobob

« Reply #922 on: 27 Apr 2011, 02:58 am »
It's all in jest because Earl isn't a fan of audio shows, but those shows have always been problematic.. with a limited amount of time and space, there's only so much that can be done with a small hotel room...and not all rooms there are equal.  It's cool to visit, absolutely, but a good judge of the sound quality...not at all.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #923 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:27 am »
hmmmm........seems it would all be equal, a fair playing field then.........

Problematic......for all......

Like our rooms.......or just where we listen.......like most......

Or do we need a special room........??

Or do all, to make a point, need special........??

cujobob

« Reply #924 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:46 am »
Hotel rooms have poor AC, but I don't believe that's as big of an issue as many make it out to be.  It's just that some vendors use large rooms and others are in smaller rooms... some use very large speakers and others smaller.  Setting up a good home theater system takes a lot of measurement and time, plus it's not a real audition.  The music is often chosen for you, the best seats taken up, and the background isn't likely to be the quietest.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #925 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:48 am »
CD speakers like the Geddes should have a large advantage in a poor room like at RMAF.  If theory holds, then his speakers should sound quite a bit better than the non-CD speakers from other manufacturers.

2bigears

« Reply #926 on: 27 Apr 2011, 04:36 am »
 :D  good gosh man,50 pages.wow.i am going to buy these tomorrow just because i am a speaker nut.first and next thing you do is get a Swarm to compliment.....?? :D

cujobob

« Reply #927 on: 27 Apr 2011, 04:59 am »
The swarm subwoofer system is a great match to the sealed mains.

2bigears

« Reply #928 on: 27 Apr 2011, 05:25 am »
 :D :D can never have too many speakers,just ask Lonewolfy Chris....... :thumb:  not sure what model to buy ??  talk with the man tomorrow...... :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #929 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:20 am »
:D  good gosh man,50 pages.wow.i am going to buy these tomorrow just because i am a speaker nut.first and next thing you do is get a Swarm to compliment.....?? :D

Get a couple of his subs too while you're at it.  Enjoy the wait!

gchuva

« Reply #930 on: 3 May 2011, 06:58 pm »
Can anyone send me a photo of their Abbeys?  I am trying to resolve some WAF issues.

Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #931 on: 3 May 2011, 07:04 pm »
Can anyone send me a photo of their Abbeys?  I am trying to resolve some WAF issues.

Thanks

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913124#msg913124

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #932 on: 3 May 2011, 07:05 pm »
Sorry for double reply but it wasn't showing my post just the quote.  It does that every once in a while. 

Anyway.  Scroll down on that post and see if that will help.  If not, I'll email you some pics.  Just PM me with your email. 

Remember-SPA days go along way.   :green:

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #933 on: 3 May 2011, 10:22 pm »
Here are a few shots of my Abbeys.

Though to be  honest, if I had it again, I'd do Black not Red...clashes with my walls, so I might have them refinished. The sound amazing though, and that's all I really care about.

gchuva

« Reply #934 on: 4 May 2011, 10:19 am »
Are the red Abbeys done in gloss?  Does it look like a proper piano finish?  It's always hard to tell in a photo.

Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #935 on: 4 May 2011, 11:15 am »
Are the red Abbeys done in gloss?  Does it look like a proper piano finish?  It's always hard to tell in a photo.

Thanks

Where are you located?

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #936 on: 4 May 2011, 12:26 pm »

I built mine from kits (older version with rounded corners).  The new design looks to me like it would be more veneer-friendly, so you could probably achieve a similar look if you are handy or are willing to employ someone to do the work.  The grill cloth is stretched directly over the front baffle and secured by pressing into a groove containing window spline.  I had to trim down the bulge on the foam plugs by an inch or so so the cloth would lay flat.   

If mine had had the rear-mount woofer design with roundover, I might have dispensed with the grill cloth altogether. Here is how they looked without the grill cloth: 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #937 on: 4 May 2011, 12:38 pm »
I built mine from kits (older version with rounded corners).  The new design looks to me like it would be more veneer-friendly, so you could probably achieve a similar look if you are handy or are willing to employ someone to do the work.  The grill cloth is stretched directly over the front baffle and secured by pressing into a groove containing window spline.  I had to trim down the bulge on the foam plugs by an inch or so so the cloth would lay flat.   

If mine had had the rear-mount woofer design with roundover, I might have dispensed with the grill cloth altogether. Here is how they looked without the grill cloth: 

Beautiful work Doug, as usual.

Mine are done in black gloss. Remember, getting a "piano black gloss" finish is extremely difficult. Mine looks like an automotive finish and has that sheen or reflection. Piano black gloss terminology is vague, it varies from finisher to finisher. I wanted a piano black gloss originally, but once I saw my current Abbeys, I stopped worrying.  You can see a partial picture of it on my systems page. Of course, the picture does not do it justice, in real life, I like it a lot.

Even the standard black satin that jtwrace has is very nice and with the lights on dim or off, who cares, really  :roll:

You can pm me off line and I can send you some more detailed pics by regular e-mail as the files are very large.

Anand.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #938 on: 4 May 2011, 01:07 pm »

Thanks

I should respond to this question.  No, they are not a piano finish.  They are simply a gloss like you might find on a car, but not a show-car finish either.  They exhibit orange peel and have some pits.  This was not the upgraded "gloss" finish that I sell, but mearly a trial of a lower cost (less work) non-wet-sanded finish that I offered the buyer at no cost.

The upgraded finish is wet-sanded and polished, but I still would not rank it as a piano finish simply because my facilities are not capable of that.  It is a "good" finish as you might find on a typical production car.  I cannot use premium car finishes because I paint inside of my home and the fumes are toxic and I have kids.  I use all water based finishes, which while "good" are not the kinds of paint that lend themselves to a "piano"  or "Show-car" finish. 

I am trying to find a shop that I can farm out these premium finishes to, because I will never be able to do a truely hi-end gloss finish in my current location.

JoshK

« Reply #939 on: 4 May 2011, 01:23 pm »
Personally, I am not sure I'd want such a finish anyhow.  If you put it near your screen you are going to get annoying reflections.  Secondly, if you dust them with a rag, you might loose that perfect finish anyhow.