Russell Dawkins

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #220 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:21 pm »
I imagine these Jamos might have been an inspiration:

... or these Lyngdorfs:

dwr

« Reply #221 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:28 pm »
Hey thats not too bad only 200 posts to get completely off topic.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #222 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:34 pm »
OK.  Back to the GedLee speakers....

dwr

« Reply #223 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:45 pm »
Ok I've been sitting here thinking about grills for the Abbeys. I asked my wife if she thought they would look good with a grill covering just the woofer. Her exact words were "leave them alone they look cool just the way they are". So not all wives are opposed to the look of speakers in the living room.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #224 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:48 pm »
Ok I've been sitting here thinking about grills for the Abbeys. I asked my wife if she thought they would look good with a grill covering just the woofer. Her exact words were "leave them alone they look cool just the way they are". So not all wives are opposed to the look of speakers in the living room.

:thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #225 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:57 pm »
I'd still like to know what the dimensions of the GedLess subs are.  If anyone knows, please share.   :thumb:

dwr

« Reply #226 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:16 pm »
Man JTW when I was there listening to the speakers I was looking at one of the subs and they are not real big as I remember, maybe a 15" cube. Don't hold me to that but thats what I seem to remember.

dwr

« Reply #227 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:28 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #228 on: 7 Oct 2010, 09:47 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #229 on: 7 Oct 2010, 10:23 pm »
How 'bout this one, Brian?

Wayne1-
Is it safe to say that you like the GedLee speakers? 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #230 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:04 am »
Wayne1-
Is it safe to say that you like the GedLee speakers?

jtwrace,

What our local Wayne of Bolder thought of the Abbeys against some similar efforts is detailed right here.

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #231 on: 8 Oct 2010, 11:48 am »
jtwrace,

What our local Wayne of Bolder thought of the Abbeys against some similar efforts is detailed right here.

Anand.

Thanks!

Wayne1

« Reply #232 on: 8 Oct 2010, 05:12 pm »
The only pair of Abbeys that I have heard are Mike Galusha's set. They are not exactly stock. He has added additional bracing to the cabinet and lined it with No-Rez. I am not sure what wire he used. He was discussing changing the brands of capacitors in the crossover at one point, but I do not know if he has done that yet.

He certainly does not use them with a Pioneer AV receiver. He has three types of tube amps (one pair of SET, one push-pull and a pair of Atma-Sphere OTL) that he uses in rotation. Differences between the amps are readily apparent.

I do enjoy the sound of the higher efficiency of the Abbeys. The dynamics are some of the best I have heard. The Advents that I modded have a similar overall sound to the Abbeys for a much smaller price. They do need more power and do not have the dynamics, but they do play deeper. They are also quite a bit less expensive if you are into DIY.

Similar sound can also be found in the Audio Kinesis line of speakers. Duke has worked with Earl Geddes (that is Duke and Earl together in the large picture I posted earlier) His speakers do have a bit more WAF. I know of one friend of Mike Galusha's who bought a pair of Duke's Jazz Modules after hearing the Abbeys. I believe he also loved the sound of the Abbeys but did not want to have to use multiple subs.

brj

« Reply #233 on: 8 Oct 2010, 05:52 pm »
Wayne, you just described a listening session that I've desired for quite a while... the Abbeys and Jazz Modules in a single session with appropriate multiple subs.  (That, and a Abbey vs. Summa comparison.)

I somehow missed the Jazz modules the year Duke had them at RMAF (3 years ago?), and the last time I was at Mike's he still had the Blue Heron's.

JoshK

« Reply #234 on: 8 Oct 2010, 06:56 pm »
There is something about the Jazz Modules proportion together with the veneer that makes they very attractive. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #235 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:09 pm »
There is something about the Jazz Modules proportion together with the veneer that makes they very attractive.

There is something about the Jazz Modules Abbey's proportion together with the veneer Black Satin Paint that makes they very attractive.   :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #236 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:12 pm »
Funny, I guess I always thought that, too, without being specifically aware of it. They just look right. It is easy to imagine the woofer has enough volume to work in, without knowing the numbers. That, plus the quality of the drivers Duke uses would make me pre-disposed to expect them to sound good.

I know that's not rational or scientific, but I am sure we are influenced in our purchasing decisions by these sorts of considerations.

(just 17 posts since the last "alert" and we are OT once again :duh:)

JoshK

« Reply #237 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:14 pm »
Dr. Geddes Haiku

Abbeys plus three subs
Makes you dream of gear no more
Its all about sound

Many wish for bling
To place in a living room
Don't forget the foam

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #238 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:25 pm »
Dr. Geddes Haiku

Abbeys plus three subs
Makes you dream of gear no more
Its all about sound

Many wish for bling
To place in a living room
Don't forget the foam

Wow, your creative senses are just tingling all over! Great work! Love it!  :thankyou:

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #239 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:35 pm »
Yeah, you may want to TM that.   :thumb: