Jim and Meghan's SoundScape 10's in mahogany swirl

jsalk

Jim and Meghan spent quite a bit of time searching veneer sites to find just the right look for their new SoundScape 10's.  Meghan picked out some real nice mahogany swirl veneer and we went to work to try and do justice to it.

Here are some pictures...

And a close-up of one of them...

These are off to NYC today.

Happy listening Jim and Meghan!

- Jim

jrg4785

Re: Jim and Meghan's SoundScape 10's in mahogany swirl
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:29 pm »
thanks, Jim and team for all your hard work on these!  we can't wait to hear them and see them in person!

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2010, 05:18 pm »
Lookin' saaaaweet as always!  Welcome to the Salk family, Jim and Meghan!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2010, 05:39 pm »
Most stunning pair of Soundscape 10's I have seen. Lush and grand look without calling too much attention to itself. Very nice.

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:02 pm »
I really like that color.

carusoracer

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:03 pm »
Understated Elegance. Enjoy!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:05 pm »
How I wish I could send you my pair of naked speakers for that veneering finish!  :lol: :lol:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:37 pm »
How I wish I could send you my pair of naked speakers for that veneering finish!  :lol: :lol:

Well, if Jim does yours, he's going to have to do about 500 for me (singles, of course--I don't do stereo).

highfilter

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:38 pm »
Beautiful work. I love Mahogany but this swirl is very unique.  :thumb:

funkmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2010, 05:53 am »
Understated Elegance. Enjoy!

+1  well said

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

VERY classy, great choice, & nice job Jim

Charles Xavier

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2010, 10:51 am »
Looking good Jim

Joe and I are waiting to hear them :thumb:

jrg4785

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2010, 07:52 pm »
thanks, all!  Joe/Xavier, look fwd to it.

taoggniklat

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:24 pm »
The biggest problem I have with these is that they are not getting delivered to my house. :(

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:37 pm »
your finish is always a pleasure to look at Jim!!!    :green:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:42 pm »
your finish is always a pleasure to look at Jim!!!    :green:

Randy, when my Soundscapes arrive you're welcome to see that finish first-hand!!

:D

jbtrio

« Reply #15 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:30 pm »
Good Luck Jim, they look great!

Looking forward for a listen once you settle in with them.

Regards,
Joe

jrg4785

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2010, 04:23 pm »
Hi all,

I've been busy, but wanted to report back after having settled in with my Soundscapes for little awhile.  In short, they are outstanding and meet my very high expectations.  The biggest challenge was getting them up the four flights of stairs into my apartment!  Thank goodness the delivery guys did this!!  I'm pretty sure I would have hurt myself if I had tried. My setup now is: Mac Mini/Stock USB Cable/Peachtree Nova DAC and Pre Section/Bluejean Cable IC's/DAC Cherry Amp/Mapleshade Speaker Cable/Salk Soundscape 10's.

I'm very new to this hobby, so take any comments I make with appropriate large handful of salt.  I have had the the opportunity to hear lots of very high end setups.  (Speakers including: Magico, Wilson, Magnepan, Rockport, Quad, B&W, Vandersteen, Totem, etc.).  My listening sessions with those were relatively short and I can't really compare other than to say I'm thrilled with the Soundscapes.   

Music is awesome.  We've been listening to a lot of jazz lately (Diana Krall, Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, Clifford Brown, Clifford Jordan, Steve Davis etc., etc.).  Also country (Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Shelby Lynne, etc.), gospel (Fairfield Four, Mahalia Jackson), and rock and classical.  All are terrific.  I've bought and explored more music lately than I ever have in my entire life!  That's what this is all about, right?!?  This is a whole new world to me.  Playoff baseball on the Soundscapes is tremendous too! 

I'm also very happy w/ the DAC Cherry amp.  Tommy is a pleasure to work with.  Prior to the Soundscapes, I had a pair of Totem Mites running with the Peachtree Nova.  (Big upgrade!!)  As you would expect, the Cherry was a huge improvement over the Amp Section of the Nova.   

Thanks to all those on the forum that helped with suggestions along the way. And thanks again to Jim and his team for designing the Soundscapes.  They're absolutely an outstanding product and tremendous value as far as I'm concerned! 

What's scary is that I'm guessing the Soundscapes will improve even more with tweaks to my setup?  My electronics could probably be improved upon (especially the Peachtree DAC and preamp?).  Also, I didn't spend much on cables, no power products, speaker placement isn't ideal (the Soundscapes  are about 8 feet apart and only a foot or so from the back wall with 50inch plasma on a large tv stand in between them.)  I'm going to stick with my setup for awhile, but will be curious to get your thoughts on biggest bang for the buck improvements... 

Last but not least, to no one's surprise the fit 'n finish and is top notch.  I'll try to post a picture later.   Thanks again all. 

take care,

Jim 

fsimms

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:09 pm »
Music is awesome.  We've been listening to a lot of jazz lately (Diana Krall, Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, Clifford Brown, Clifford Jordan, Steve Davis etc., etc.).  Also country (Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Shelby Lynne, etc.), gospel (Fairfield Four, Mahalia Jackson), and rock and classical.  All are terrific.  I've bought and explored more music lately than I ever have in my entire life!  That's what this is all about, right?!?  This is a whole new world to me.  Playoff baseball on the Soundscapes is tremendous too!

That was one of the biggest surprises to me too.  TV and movies sound incredible with the SoundScapes.

What's scary is that I'm guessing the Soundscapes will improve even more with tweaks to my setup
?

That is scary to me too, although I am beginning to feel that I am starting to get a handle on its potential.

I didn't spend much on cables, no power products, speaker placement isn't ideal (the Soundscapes  are about 8 feet apart and only a foot or so from the back wall with 50inch plasma on a large tv stand in between them.)  I'm going to stick with my setup for awhile, but will be curious to get your thoughts on biggest bang for the buck improvements...

I have my SoundScapes near the wall too.  Using the speakers in the open baffle mode, I would suggest that you use absorption directly behind the speakers.  You could have bookcases, decorative tapestries, curtains or acoustic art panels behind them.  I guess an acoustic dispersion panel might work too.  I would also suggest very lightly stuffing the midrange tunnel if you have absorption behind the speakers.

Bob 

taoggniklat

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:31 am »
Wow those are simply gorgeous. Well done!

Woolz

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:57 am »
So bob, the Soundscapes are significantly better playing TV sound than the HT-1s?  Could you expand on that.  I find that interesting. 

Steve