Speaker Spikes

neyloj2

Speaker Spikes
« on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:54 am »
So I have been moving my VR33's around for almost a month. every position possible. Cardas method, audio physics, the way albert told me too and I just couldn't do it anymore. I settled on a nice position that sounds awesome. So I installed the spikes. Holy crap. Its as if I purchased a $1000 upgrade. The bass is no longer hanging around the bottom of the cabinet so everything is better. Especially the mids, crisp and clearer. Sounds like an entirely new speaker. So much better. Bass is quick and vocals improved as well. Happier than a puppy with two peters.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Speaker Spikes
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2010, 04:33 am »
Happier than a puppy with two peters.

Sounds confusing to me, don't know what I'd do with two, one gets me in enough trouble as it is.

Anyway, I understand and agree with your assessment of the speaker spikes.  However, this type of subject will generate all kinds of contention within the thread.  I for one have always been a proponent of spikes and use them exclusively, until lately.  There is a movement for using isolation, either pucks or platforms.  I haven't embraced it, but I see their arguments and agree that their points can be valid.  And when setting up my HT in my new digs I did as you have done, moved them around sans spikes, found a placement, and installed the spikes.  For this one installation, the sound worsened, midrange shouty, highs raspy.  Perhaps the carpet (very deep pile and plush high quality poly) adds an isolation that's working, dunno, don't much care.  But your results are the norm in my experience, better bass, tighter and more articulate, with an increase in midrange clarity.     

JoeyGS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2010, 09:10 am »
Ensure that even with spikes the speakers should be solidly resting without any wobble. For carpets, ensure that the spikes are pointed enough to touch the bottom hard surface.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2010, 07:40 pm »
Ensure that even with spikes the speakers should be solidly resting without any wobble. For carpets, ensure that the spikes are pointed enough to touch the bottom hard surface.

Why more manufacturers don't utilize a tripod configuration is beyond me?
(yes, I know there are stability issues but if the spread is wide enough...why not???)