So I Took The Cheap Way Out Again.

Wind Chaser

Re: So I Took The Cheap Way Out Again.
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:21 am »

Very solid construction, they weigh about 30 lbs each.  They came with grills, but they sound and look better without them.  Considering what they cost ($600) and how they sound, I'm very pleased.  I'll take them with me next time I go to Alberta and compare them to Rocket Ronny's SP Tech Minis.

I went to the dollar store and picked up a 36" roll of cheap felt.  Sticking this around the perimeter of each tweeter resulted in much better imaging in the sense that everything became more defined and cleaner.  There was also a noticable increase in depth.  The difference before and after is quite remarkable.  So now I'm hoping to source some felt big enough (10" x 13") to cover the better part of the front baffle much like the Spica TC-50.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:29 am »
I'll take them with me next time I go to Alberta and compare them to Rocket Ronny's SP Tech Minis.

That should be fun.... :wink:

Mariusz

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:31 am »
Something like what Lipinski use in his L505s. The only thing is, he concentrated on controling the tweeter's/baffle interaction..... where you seem to apply it to entire front baffle. But if is sounds better, why not. Enjoy your new speakers.

Mariusz

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:58 am »
That’s real aggressive treatment in the above photo.  Are those Duntechs?

My intent is to acquire enough felt to try a few different approaches.  Spica cuts the felt very close to the tweeter.  It would be interesting to compare that approach to something less invasive.  Also, I'd like to compare the difference between treating the area just around the tweeter vs. both drive units.  The felt makes a big difference.

I might add a sub at some point, but either way based on what I'm hearing I'm confident I can live with these speakers for a long time.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:08 am »
That should be fun.... :wink:

And interesting...  I'd expect the minis to be better (by how much?) on account of the wave guide controlling the directivity, but all things being equal I'm betting the felt is a great equalizer.

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:11 am »
Those are Lipinski Audio L 505 monitors. I met owner/designer years ago in NYC during the SHOW (2006).
Cool, extremly knowlodgeble, simple man. His monitors (and room setup) were quite impresive. Accuracy is the word that coms to mind. At one point, those monitores were on my short list of speakers to get........ (he use those in his recordind studio as well)

Mariusz :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:15 am »
Tito...one of the NY Ravers had a pair of the Lipinski's....

Here's the Lipinski site...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:17 am »
And interesting...  I'd expect the minis to be better (by how much?) on account of the wave guide controlling the directivity, but all things being equal I'm betting the felt is a great equalizer.

John....
Post your comments after you compare the two...thanks. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:33 am »
For sure as will Ron.  We usually see eye to eye so I wouldn't expect much disagreement.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:39 am »
Those Lipinski Audio 505's redefine accuracy.  +/- 1 db is amazing!  How much are these?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:51 am »
l505's retail for ~$5600/pair.

doug s.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:54 am »
l505's retail for ~$5600/pair.

doug s.

See....Cheap and Cheerful..... :jester:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:40 am »

Two small felt pads for $1.00 hand cut.  If you like focused 3 dimensional imaging this is the way to transform your system without having to do a serious upgrade.  I'm going to try a smaller opening closer to the dome and see how that works.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:28 pm »

Two small felt pads for $1.00 hand cut.  If you like focused 3 dimensional imaging this is the way to transform your system without having to do a serious upgrade.  I'm going to try a smaller opening closer to the dome and see how that works.

my meret re's came stock w/nice thick felt, beveled at the drivers, which was hidden under the grille cloths.  i am a believer.  below are pics, one w/o the grill, and the felt velcro'd to the baffle, so you can see it...

doug s.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:54 pm »
That's what I intend on doing.  Where'd ya get the felt?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm »
That's what I intend on doing.  Where'd ya get the felt?
the speakers came stock w/it.  but, i think you can find it at industrial supply houses like mcmaster carr/etc., or furniture upholstery repair shops.

goug s.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:16 pm »
I went to local fabric store, they had nothing.  I think a dense felt would be better than a softer felt.  I'll try Mcmaster and Carr.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:43 pm »
try furniture upholstery/re-upholstery shop, not fabric shop.  and, call before you go - save time/gas/etc.   :wink:

doug s.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:22 am »
http://www.diffractionbegone.com/index.html

Jim is a good guy.  He's the one who enlightened me on diffraction, what it does and the cure.  If I was certain that the Gershmans are here to stay, I'd go with Jim's product, but my gut feeling is these are just a short term temporal stepping stone, and as such I just want to experiment in preparation for the next pair of speakers to take up residence.