So I Took The Cheap Way Out Again.

Wind Chaser

So I Took The Cheap Way Out Again.
« on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:14 pm »
The Ampino has driven my curiosity over the edge.  I need to hear more and I know the Totem Mites can only be compelled to do so such by the amazing Dayens...  So I gave serious consideration to the GR Venuettes, but as much as I am certain they would satisfy, they are just too big and inappropriate for my room.  I considered Salk Song Towers, but quickly dismissed them for the same and other reasons. 

Stand mounts that can quickly be moved in and out of position are my only real option.  So after a little snooping around, the short list included a nice pair of SP Minis in cherry finish up for grabs in the classified section here.  Failing that Bob Smith’s Aether Spirit looks interesting.  The Fritz carbon might be another good bet, but they are just too obscure for me to take a chance on.  And I really don't want to spend much over a thousand dollars on something I've never heard before unless my gut feeling says otherwise.  So at $900 the Nate T5 looked like it might be worth considering, but again there’s very little information out there on them.

Having thought about it for a while, in addition to better performance than what the Mites offer within their range, I’d like more sensitivity and bottom end extension.  Since I can’t find anything more efficient than 1 watt at 87 db that I’m willing to consider, I’ll just have to settle deeper bass and hopefully better resolution.

So I just completed a transaction on Audiogon for THESE….  No idea as to what I’m getting into here, but they do reach down 10Hz further than my Totems and they were way cheap! :green:

Now if anyone with some experience with these might be able to enlighten me as to what I’ve got coming, I’m all ears.

Wind Chaser

Re: So I Took The Cheap Way Out Again.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:21 pm »
Gee, it just occurred to me... it's my birthday.  I should have spent more! :lol:

Oh well, I guess it's never too late for that.

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:35 pm »
You should have asked.  :lol:
Us the experts.
Without our approval it is NOT consider audiophile grade. 

But if you can still back out of this deal, I would consider new Zu Omen for intro $999. Not 100% cheap but sounds like it might be cheerful speaker.

Mariusz

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:40 pm »
I'm going to get a passport and head south one of these cold Canadian days.  I'd like to see and hear the Zu stuff along with much other U.S. of A. gear.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:43 pm »
I might have those Zus in my home by then. 
NYC isn't that far from hockey land so who knows?

Come on in and feel at home.   

Happy B day pal.   :thumb:

Mariusz

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:07 pm »
Those nasty laws of physics say that small, efficient, and deep bass are mutually exclusive.

Being a fellow Canadian you should at least glance at Planet 10's custom enclosures:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:08 pm »
You may be into something with those, Wind.  From the picture, looks like they have 6.5" mid/bass drivers which should produce lower and cleaner bass that your Mite's.  Nice catch.

Check the tightness of the driver baskets to their baffles when you get them.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:29 pm »
The Mites are 50Hz to 20 KHz and the Gershmans 40Hz to 20KHz. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2010, 09:20 am »
How small is this audio room of yours John ? :scratch:

I would of went with the Mini's or Spirit speakers....but to sound their best...you'd need more power.
For a small speaker....big soundstage...big bass in a small box.

The Zu Omen speakers...for the price might be good for you...36" tall x12x12....and easy to drive...that's a plus.

Will be interesting to read the comments on the Zu's after their out (in Nov.)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2010, 09:22 am »
The Omens look to be a serious contender, we'll have to get Mariusz to bring his to a Rave when they arrive!!!

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:40 pm »
The Ampino has driven my curiosity over the edge.  I need to hear more and I know the Totem Mites can only be compelled to do so such by the amazing Dayens...  So I gave serious consideration to the GR Venuettes, but as much as I am certain they would satisfy, they are just too big and inappropriate for my room.  I considered Salk Song Towers, but quickly dismissed them for the same and other reasons. 

Stand mounts that can quickly be moved in and out of position are my only real option.  So after a little snooping around, the short list included a nice pair of SP Minis in cherry finish up for grabs in the classified section here.  Failing that Bob Smith’s Aether Spirit looks interesting.  The Fritz carbon might be another good bet, but they are just too obscure for me to take a chance on.  And I really don't want to spend much over a thousand dollars on something I've never heard before unless my gut feeling says otherwise.  So at $900 the Nate T5 looked like it might be worth considering, but again there’s very little information out there on them.

Having thought about it for a while, in addition to better performance than what the Mites offer within their range, I’d like more sensitivity and bottom end extension.  Since I can’t find anything more efficient than 1 watt at 87 db that I’m willing to consider, I’ll just have to settle deeper bass and hopefully better resolution.

So I just completed a transaction on Audiogon for THESE….  No idea as to what I’m getting into here, but they do reach down 10Hz further than my Totems and they were way cheap! :green:

Now if anyone with some experience with these might be able to enlighten me as to what I’ve got coming, I’m all ears.

I have these same exact pairs, as I imported them directly from Canada when the Soundstage review came out back in 2001-2002.  I even got the matching pair of SW-1 sub pedestals. 

If I read correctly, are you trying to power them with the Ampino?  I believe that the Ampino is based on a type of Op chip amp design....having experimented with many types of amplifiers, the op chip types do not have the drive necessary to do these speakers justice. 

Right now, I have them paired with a Nait 3, which is more of a conventional 35 watt integrated but as always, Naims are very conservative with their specs. 

These speakers like conventional Class A/AB power with good drive....the power supply needs to be robust, traditional with hunky transformers. 

I have had EXCELLENT results with the following:

Harman Kardon TT 730 from the 1970s...35 watts, with dual transformers. 
DNA-225, 200 watts+ really an overkill but they do sound exciting with them.
Sonic Frontiers Power 2, 110 watt PP tubed....lovely midrange, LOUD, a tad soft on the bass. 
Naim Nait 3...35 watts, perfectly fine, excellent dynamics...excellent matching.
47 Labs Shigaraki integrated...20 watts, op chip, anemic pairing.  No drive, plain.
Scott Nixon monos, op chip, 40 watts/channel...same as 47 labs, anemic pairing.  No drive. 

Mariusz

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:59 pm »
The Omens look to be a serious contender, we'll have to get Mariusz to bring his to a Rave when they arrive!!!

Or you can just drop by for Mini-Rave.  :wink:

Wind Chaser
I have heard X1s with SW1 base years ago (back then, I really liked them) but I never saw them play with anything less then 100wpc. 
But really, ...... isn't that why (among other reasons) the seller decided to let them go?
Listen to Bemopti123 and Wolf and consider more powerful amp.  Great thing about X1s is that they can grow to a real full ranger by adding SW1 in the future. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:45 pm »
Or you can just drop by for Mini-Rave.  :wink:
:thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:48 pm »
Note, you need space behind the X-1s because they do produce a "slap" sound if they are closer to a back wall...the woofers/the design produces plenty of midbass output.  I say more than 20."

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:58 am »
I might have those Zus in my home by then. 
NYC isn't that far from hockey land so who knows?

Come on in and feel at home.   

Happy B day pal.   :thumb:

Mariusz

Thanks, would love to come but I live far on the western part of Canada.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:09 am »
How small is this audio room of yours John ? :scratch:

I would of went with the Mini's or Spirit speakers....but to sound their best...you'd need more power.

It segues into another room and hallway, so there lot's of space (10' +) behind the speakers.  And that's part of the problem in the sense I can't position them once and for all and leave them there in the way…

I don’t listen at ‘loud’ volumes, so I’m of the opinion that I don’t need a lot of power since it will never be utilized.  If anything at all, I have more power than I need for the volumes I prefer and listen to.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:14 am »
I have these same exact pairs, as I imported them directly from Canada when the Soundstage review came out back in 2001-2002.  I even got the matching pair of SW-1 sub pedestals. 

If I read correctly, are you trying to power them with the Ampino?  I believe that the Ampino is based on a type of Op chip amp design....

I am using the Ampino, but you are incorrect.  It isn't a chip based amplifier.  It uses bipolar transistors with a real power supply.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:16 am »
BTW, I meant to ask, how do you like the Gershmans?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2010, 02:00 pm »
The Gershmans arrived.  That extra 10 Hz of bass is very nice.  The sensitivity is suppose to measure the same (87db) as the Totems, but I'd say the Gershmans are 5-6db less efficient. :?  Sound wise first impressions are pretty good, but these are much bigger than I would have guessed.  Unlike the Totems that could be quickly moved out of the way into a near by closet, these are too big for that.  Kind of sucks but I should have known. :roll:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2010, 04:55 pm »
not really what i'd call cheap, but if you wanna hear killer speakers about the same size as your mites, find a pair of used proac tablette 8 reference signatures.  absolutely fantastic sound.  tho rated down to 38hz, i would recommend actively crossing them to subs if you want loud full-range sound.  (using subs would likely help you out in your situation, as they could be located out of the way.)  if crossed to subs, these will get loud, even in a large room.  i had mine crossed at 80hz to a pair of vmps larger subs in a 26x38x8.5 room, opening to 2 areas about as large, and the sound could be deafening, if you so desired...

doug s.