Interfacing the MINI

tasar

Interfacing the MINI
« on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:30 am »
Any suggestions for keyboards, touch pads, bluetooth, pros, cons ?

tasar

Re: Interfacing the MINI
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:18 pm »
No, question for those embracing the MINI, as is becoming the "norm" in this circle

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:46 pm »
Mac mini?

tasar

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm »
yes the Mac Mini......surprising there's little input. Curious, how many out there are in the mini/HDD/ USB DAC camp ?

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:22 pm »
We'll I'm responding using a Mac mini 8) and plan to buy a second just for a music server. I also plan to buy a Tranquility USB DAC (hopefully Eric will be at RMAF). From AC I gather it is the  best value/sound out there. I want to run "Amarra" on the Mac for ease of use and max sound quality, but I don't know if the tranquility will interface with the "Amarra" software :scratch:

Anyone tried it yet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:32 pm »
I use a Mac Mini for music only. I think that the wireless keyboard and mouse is the only way to fly with these.

I am using the Mac Mini straight into a Tranquility DAC and loving it.

The db Audio Labs guys did not care for the performance of Amarra too much. iTunes and Play sound better.

I just bought one of the new Mac Mini's but don't have it up yet.

tasar

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for the remarks Danny

I would like to see comments on a wireless keyboard that might have an integral touchpad, something like the Logitech board I believe is PnP for the PSP. I may be all wet, but, Apple products are not PnP compatible.

Should line of sight or bluetooth type keyboards make a difference ?

Also, Danny, I thought I read you're preferring Sbooth software, over ITunes, for rips and organizing your music files ? Can you elaborate ?

nickd

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2010, 05:43 pm »
Thanks Danny, I know Itunes is $650 cheaper than Amarra and I'm not the type of guy who wants to spend that kind of cash without hearing the difference for myself.

I like the wireless keypad idea but I have to address the monitor issue as my rig is 15' away and my eyes are getting old. I was thinking that an I touch or the kind of expensive :(I pad might provide that long range visual interface. :scratch:

I have to look up the "i remote" and see what it is and if it has a screen to see playlists.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm »
Sbooth's "Play" sounds best to me on 95% of the music.

iTouch is a must really and not expensive. It is the best remote ever.

I also have a 25 foot cable on my monitor so it can be nearby while the computer is next to the DAC and the rest of the system. And the wireless mouse and keyboard hit it just fine.

jdbrian

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:19 am »
Hi

I am using a monitor with mine, It is sitting on a table on my left side about 5 ft. from my listening chair. I use a wireless mouse on the arm of my chair and can just see the iTunes screen well enough to select tunes from my chair. The only problem is that I get a sore neck from looking 90 degrees to the side all the time. I am leaning towards getting a ipod Touch for remote. I can then turn off the monitor as well. I use the computer for other tasks than music so I need a monitor. I was wondering if anyone has the magic mouse or the new trackpad thingy. The trackpad may be easier for me to use at my chair than a mouse. I am currently using a Microsoft USB mouse which I would like to replace to clear the USB buss. I'm currently driving a HAGDAC USB converter into a Behringer DEQ2496 but I have a Tranquility on order.

Brian

tasar

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:37 pm »
Danny.....what's involved with Sbooth's "play" ? Does it interact with ITunes or a whole different player ?

Some of you mention the keyboard, but don't specify whether bluetooth, IR, line of sight ? Any pros cons to bluetooth ? Has anyone had experience with a keyboard having a "touchpad" (not quite the same as a "trackpad" ? I think these are pretty limited, but Logitech has one marketed at the PSP

With the newest Mini, is there any problems with utilizing the HDMI output to a screen, and are there any inherent evils with an LCD or plasma near the audio stuff ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:45 pm »

"Play" is a stand alone program. It does not interface with iTunes and has no features at all. You can drag and drop as many as 10 songs into it at a time and you can't even give the songs a name or anything. My biggest issue is that I can't control it with my iTouch. It only interfaces with iTunes. It sure does sound good though.

The new Mac Mini has a HDMI output only.

I don't thing there is any problems with the LCD or Plasma's being near the audio gear, but they might put some noise back on the line from their power supplies.

nickd

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:31 pm »
Hey Danny,

The way I understand it "Play" and "Amarra" operate in a simular mode bypassing the stock Mac media package. kind of like "less is more" the Amarra just has a nice user interface and uou and use I touch, but you do pay for it. :roll:

I don't know why the guys at DB don't like Amarra :scratch: I have heard it on a high res PC based system and it made a noticible improvement. I just don't know if it affects the Tranquility in a bad way.

I'm also interseted in the new Wyred USB dac at $1500. Looks like Cullen did his homework on the chips. You gain some points with asyncronus 24/192 USB give up some jitter in the source switching and loose the sweetness of the NOS chips but get balanced out with your high res. Sheesh. I may just have to flip a coin :?

Audioclyde

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
I'll chime in with my opinion.  I have the 2010 Mac mini (SSD, 8 gig RAM), operating in 64 bit mode.  I have the John Keny box modded (battery pwrd) HiFace feeding the bnc digi input of my DAC.

I have purchased both Amarra Mini (dongle version) and PM.....I prefer the sound of PM in my setup.  I can control my system (everything except 'pause') with my Iphone, Ipad, and with my Pronto remote using "ProntoTunes" (from the guy that wrote the ProntoSqueeze script).

If interested in the Amarra Mini (dongle), shoot me a pm.....

Randy

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:43 am »
Since we're discussing DAC's, just curious if any of you guys have opinions on how the new Emotiva DAC might possibly stack up against these more expensive units, feature wise. Comes out on Nov 1.

$299:

http://emonatics.com/XDA-1.shtml

Emotiva XDA-1:- Price $299-

Sigma-Delta AD1955 DAC-

Digital Volume Control-Remote Control-

Inputs: AES/EBU, Coax Digital (2), Optical (2), USB-

Outputs: L/R Unbalanced RCAs, L/R Balanced XLRs-

Jitter reduction

24-bit, 192 kHz Sample Rate

PCM Audio Data,

120 dB SNR/DNR (not muted) at 48KHz Sample Rate (A-Weighted Stereo)

Dual Differential input stage with cross linked current sources

Darlington VAS stage and Darlington output stages

Frequency response: 5-50KhzS/N: in excess of 110dbTHD+N: 0.02%Ground floor noise:

10uVOutput voltage: 1V nominal, 12V peak

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2010, 01:09 am »
Since we're discussing DAC's, just curious if any of you guys have opinions on how the new Emotiva DAC might possibly stack up against these more expensive units, feature wise. Comes out on Nov 1.

$299:

http://emonatics.com/XDA-1.shtml

Emotiva XDA-1:- Price $299-

Sigma-Delta AD1955 DAC-

Digital Volume Control-Remote Control-

Inputs: AES/EBU, Coax Digital (2), Optical (2), USB-

Outputs: L/R Unbalanced RCAs, L/R Balanced XLRs-

Jitter reduction

24-bit, 192 kHz Sample Rate

PCM Audio Data,

120 dB SNR/DNR (not muted) at 48KHz Sample Rate (A-Weighted Stereo)

Dual Differential input stage with cross linked current sources

Darlington VAS stage and Darlington output stages

Frequency response: 5-50KhzS/N: in excess of 110dbTHD+N: 0.02%Ground floor noise:

10uVOutput voltage: 1V nominal, 12V peak

For a dac that is only $299, has balanced outputs and a discrete output stage, I say that is a damn good deal. I wonder how low these fellas would price a dac using an ESS 9018 chip, maybe only $100 more, who knows? :dunno:

Should be in the sweet deal section or cheap and cheerful section of this forum!

Anand.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2010, 01:22 am »
I don't thing there is any problems with the LCD or Plasma's being near the audio gear, but they might put some noise back on the line from their power supplies.
The switching power supplies in the plasmas and LCDs are bad ju-ju for audio quality.  Make sure that they are on different breakers of the same panel branch circuit if possible.  There will be some attenuation of the HF hash churned out by the power supplies via the inductance in the lines.  Not a lot, but some.  Of course we do know the fix, eh?

8)

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2010, 01:26 am »
Of course we do know the fix, eh?
Dave

BUSS!

tasar

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:13 am »
Thanks Dave.......have you had your MINI plugged HDMI to a screen ? If so, any inherent issues with that type cabling ? Also, do you know issues using a bluetooth or other type keyboard with the MINI ? Any opinions on keyboards having integral touch pads ? I realize the IPhone, Touch and such can be used while playing audio. But with larger displays, can't ITunes run in the background, while doing other tasks, and if so, is there a sound penalty ?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:38 am »
Thanks Dave.......have you had your MINI plugged HDMI to a screen ? If so, any inherent issues with that type cabling ? Also, do you know issues using a bluetooth or other type keyboard with the MINI ? Any opinions on keyboards having integral touch pads ? I realize the IPhone, Touch and such can be used while playing audio. But with larger displays, can't ITunes run in the background, while doing other tasks, and if so, is there a sound penalty ?
The computer that I have plugged into my Samsung plasma is not a Mac, but a mini-ITX platform Zotac Ion 330 based unit via HDMI.  The video and audio quality was degraded until I plugged it all into one of my conditioners.  I am running a wireless mouse and keyboard and have not noticed any problems with these.  My HT and audio systems are discreet with no interaction.  I do dedicated 2 channel because I have not heard a multi-use system that sounds good for music playback.  I know this isn't much help, sorry.

Dave