Battery Usage Questions

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Battery Usage Questions
« on: 22 Sep 2010, 07:37 pm »
A few folks have emailed me about the SLA battery kits.  The most common question is: why is there a red light on when the unit is playing?  The answer is that the unit is drawing current from the charger so it thinks the battery is drained.  After powering down (off on front panel, off on master power in back), you can unplug the battery and check to see the actual charge level.  Sometimes a top-off will be required to get the light to turn green again (while disconnected). 

If the battery never gets charged up, even when during periods of low power usage (stand-by), the charger could be broken and we will need to replace it.  How will you know?  You can test the voltage after an overnight charge (should be 25v or so), or listen for yelping from Sensation - it whines like crazy when power is too low.

brother love

Re: Battery Usage Questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2010, 03:13 pm »
I’ve utilized the Dodd (2) 12v SLA battery arrangement w/ PowerStream 24v 2 amp switchmode trickle charger for both my Virtue Audio One.2 & M-451 Sensation w/ Dodd tube buffer.  Some things I’ve observed during a typical 2 hr. or so listening session:

When the One.2 is switched “ON”, the battery charger red light is “ON” indicating charging.

When the One. 2 is switched “OFF”, the battery charger green light is “ON” indicating idle.

When the M-451 is switched “ON”, the battery charger red light is “ON” indicating charging.

When the M-451 front panel switch is “OFF” & in standby mode (orange light), the battery charger green light is "ON" for approx. 90 sec., then red light comes “ON” & stays "ON" (even overnight after  8 hrs.)

When the M-451 back panel switch is “OFF”, the battery charger green light immediately comes “ON” indicating idle.

Because of the continuous battery charger red charging light status during M-451 standby mode, I’ve taken to normally setting both M-451 switches to “OFF” in proper sequence. 

I then switch the M-451 fully “ON” (blue light) in proper sequence an hour or so in advance of listening sessions.

Edit: revised front panel switch "OFF" battery conditions to reflect green light for short period before switching to red light.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2010, 03:21 pm by brother love »

NIGELJAMES

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:48 pm »
I received the Dodd Battery kit yesterday for my Sensation.
When the amp is switched off the charger shows 'green' which I expect means the batteries are charged.
When amp is powered up charger shows 'amber' showing charging. However why is it charging if the batteries are charged.
Also I cannot power my amp at all if the charger is unplugged. I assume that when powered up the amp is drawing power directly from the charger and not the batteries!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2011, 02:33 pm »
Nigel -
I'm glad we figured out that a wire to the battery came loose during the turbulent flight over.
You should be good to go.
Seth

NIGELJAMES

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2011, 11:02 am »
Unfortunately if does not seem to be that simple  :?

I have had the charger plugged in for a few hours yesterday and for a few more today with amp switched off. So far the charger light remains green indicating idle (no charge) and if I remove the charger the Sensation can't be powered from the batteries directly!

The only time the charger goes amber (charging) is when the Sensation is switched on. I believe this is because the Sensation is drawing power directly from the charger and not the batteries.
The wiring has been confirmed as correct so I assume that one or more of the connections my be faulty but to be perfectly honest I am clutching at straws here!  :scratch:

se-riously

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:54 pm »
Have you checked the voltage of the batteries with the charger and Sensation disconnected?  If the voltage is too low (possibly one or two bad batteries), then it would explain why the Sensation won't power on at all unless the charger is connected.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:57 pm »
The fuse was not installed / missing on this unit.  He's finding one.  Argh...

wsturner

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm »
I need to replace the batteries from my "Dodd" battery kit. I am powering the M451, and just wanted to check and see if the following is still the best replacement battery. Also, does anyone know if a single 24 volt replacement battery is available?

http://www.batterysharks.com/Universal-Power-UB1272-40760-p/ub1272_b12-7.2.htm?gclid=CIbZrb3OrqgCFQcnbAodJUesHA

Thanks,
Scott

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm »
You might want to post on the Dodd thread about the voltage. Whatever the advice on the voltage, you probably would want to consider more amps, especially if you want to run the 6h30 tube.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2011, 12:59 am »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:32 am »
I've had good luck buying from www.batteryplex.com. Lots of choices and reasonable prices.

se-riously

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2011, 05:12 pm »
I bought a pair of Powersonic 12 volt, 5.0 amp-hour batteries (the same ones used in the battery kit) from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Powersonic-POWERSONIC-PS1250F1-12V/dp/B0002ILK2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303491990&sr=8-1

Cost is $31.30 shipped.  Doing it all over again, I'd probably purchase a minimum 7.0 amp-hour batteries for more running time, since I prefer to listen with the charger disconnected, especially since I have the tube buffer and it's a bit of a power hog.

A pair of Powersonic PS-1270-F1 from Portable Power on Amazon is $40.80 shipped, but it looks like Jason T's link is the cheapest you're going to find.  Great deal!

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2011, 09:33 pm »
I have three 7 amp batteries wired in parallel in combination with a ctek charger. Works very nicely.

HiFlight

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm »
I have an spare Virtue/Dodd battery power supply for sale.  Please check Trading Post for details.
Thanks..
Ron

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:26 am »
I have three 7 amp batteries wired in parallel in combination with a ctek charger. Works very nicely.

3 batteries wired in parallel will only provide you with 12 volts but will triple the amperage (add all 3 together) if you wired them in series you would have 36 volts (realistically about 40 volts) which would be to high for our amps and your amperage would remain the same as a single batteries value.
you can however wire batteries in series/parallel to get 24 volts and higher amps but thats usually a waste of space and money because you can easily just buy a higher current battery for less money and save some space in doing so.

catartica

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:39 am »
does anybody know the power of the Virtue Sensation with Dodd 24V 5A Battery Pack in 4Ohm and 8Ohm?