Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Re: Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!
« Reply #160 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:51 pm »
For the DIY crowd......Link...

doug....watch the Tom Hanks video... :wink:

I like it!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #161 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:48 pm »
For the DIY crowd......Link...

doug....watch the Tom Hanks video... :wink:
think i should conwert my xb into electric?  hmmmm....  mebbe if i had tom hank's bank account, and could afford something else to drive, when i needed to go on trips...  i am averaging ~34mpg w/the xb and it's driven quite aggressively...  i wonder what the performance is w/tom's box, and what it cost to conwert it...

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #162 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:28 pm »
think i should conwert my xb into electric?  hmmmm....  mebbe if i had tom hank's bank account, and could afford something else to drive, when i needed to go on trips...  i am averaging ~34mpg w/the xb and it's driven quite aggressively...  i wonder what the performance is w/tom's box, and what it cost to conwert it...

doug s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7zNrDzfwo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ6-LpJ1lwM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZT61Dgbvs&feature=related

Tom Hank's bank vault....saving the gas $$$... :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #163 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:49 pm »
Nice "run down" on the Tesla Roadster Sport ....Link...

0-60 in 3.7 seconds ...can't wait to get to that next stop light.... :lol:

mort

« Reply #164 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:49 pm »
My closest friend has his career in nuclear disposal, and the best/safest way to deal with it (according to him) is to bury it in the desert.  I believe him.  Nuclear power is the way to go.  Clean, safe, disposable.
We have to get the people in and around Hanford Washington to believe that, however at this time their too busy going to the hospital and trying to find clean drinking water. Mabey we could convince the people around Chernobal but their all dead or dieing. Perhaps we could find an outdoor enthusiast in Harrisburg Pennsylvania if they feel like a brisk morning walk on Three Mile Island. Renewables and conservation are indeed the only ways to power theese cars or any of our energy needs if we choose to be realistic and eventualy deal with the mess we are in. Lets get the energy from the source.  P.s. I am a marine electrician And I firmly believe that any one who buys a boat shoud most definatly hire me to rewire the intire vessel. It is definatly the safest way to go.

srb

« Reply #165 on: 1 Oct 2010, 04:04 pm »
Renewables and conservation are indeed the only ways to power theese cars or any of our energy needs if we choose to be realistic and eventualy deal with the mess we are in. Lets get the energy from the source.

It will probably need to be a type of fuel cell, like the Bloombox, that can be run on a variety of fuels including bio-oils, methane, etc., rather than fuel cells based on explosive hydrogen and 600psi pressures.

Steve

mort

« Reply #166 on: 1 Oct 2010, 04:14 pm »
I agree that Hydrogen is not the anwser but I do firmly believe that we have to stop reinventing the wheel. Grab the energy at the source Solar thermal is the first encounter the earth has with all energy, when taken imeddiatly efficencies will rise.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #167 on: 9 Oct 2010, 02:37 pm »
  Very expensive. It will take longer to amortize the investment than originally thought. Green is expensive. Green is the code word for redistribution of wealth. We cannot drill in the Gulf but we gave money to other countrys to do so. Its all BS.
   I'll stick to my Toyota  Echo 37mpg and Honda Accord V6 22mpg thank you.

charles

mfsoa

« Reply #168 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:03 pm »
I was behind a Tesla this summer doing 80+ MPH and the thing absolutely rocketed away from me! Impressive power for sure.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #169 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:17 pm »
I was behind a Tesla this summer doing 80+ MPH and the thing absolutely rocketed away from me! Impressive power for sure.

Thanks Mike that's all I needed to know .I'm buying one today :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #170 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:03 am »
I love these threads where people are buying $10K+ stereos are talking about the economics of how long it will take to make up the difference over the extra cost of buying an electric/hybrid cars....  :roll:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #171 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:41 am »
Where do you think the money comes from to be able to but 10K+ stereos?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #172 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:00 pm »
3 wks until Tesla drive time.  Should be interesting.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #173 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:41 pm »
I love these threads where people are buying $10K+ stereos are talking about the economics of how long it will take to make up the difference over the extra cost of buying an electric/hybrid cars....  :roll:

+1    :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #174 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:58 pm »
it is different.  unless you are buying something like a tesla, who in their right mind would want to buy a hybrid, unless they can yustify the fuel cost savings/enwironmental savings.  (i am certainly skeptical about any enwironmental savings, due to the battery technology inwolved.)  unlike a $10k audio rig, which is most likely purchased for enjoyment, i can't imagine most hybrid buyers actually buying their rides cuz they're so much fun to drive.   :wink: 

doug s.

turkey

« Reply #175 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:24 pm »
i can't imagine most hybrid buyers actually buying their rides cuz they're so much fun to drive.   :wink: 

My cousin has a Prius, and he has said that it is fun to drive. It wasn't his entire reason for buying it, but it was part of it. He said it's a very well-engineered car overall.

I suppose there are different ideas of what's fun, but it didn't sound like his Prius was a soulless econo-box that can't even get out of its own way.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #176 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:19 pm »
Va Clean Fuel Plates were waiting for me when I got back from RMAF.  This morning I cruised through the HOV section on HWY 66 and got to work in 25 minutes, a saving of 15 minutes.   :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #177 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:32 pm »
Va Clean Fuel Plates were waiting for me when I got back from RMAF.  This morning I cruised through the HOV section on HWY 66 and got to work in 25 minutes, a saving of 15 minutes.   :thumb:
well, if having a hybrid allows you to use the hov lanes w/only the driver & no passengers, that's certainly one reason to want one!

doug s.

mort

« Reply #178 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:08 pm »
One of the things that this topic has missed is the fact that GM just cant seem to get this thing to market. The Nissan Leaf has only been in conception for half of the duration of the Volt yet it will be available in Seattle in December. BTW the Leaf has sold out already!

charmerci

« Reply #179 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:22 pm »

it is different.  unless you are buying something like a tesla, who in their right mind would want to buy a hybrid, unless they can yustify the fuel cost savings/enwironmental savings.  (i am certainly skeptical about any enwironmental savings, due to the battery technology inwolved.)

My point being that ACers buy expensive stuff not for the economics (buying $1000's of equipment every year) but for other factors - just like people who buy solar panels (where I saw another AC discussion on the return on investment took place) don't always simply buy stuff to save money - even in the long run.