Interconnect differences.

Malcolm Fear

« on: 29 Feb 2004, 10:40 am »
I have in the past compared my 4 strand braided CAT 5 (teflon coated) interconnects to JohnR's (the forum moderator) cross connected, John Risch 89259 cables. At my place in my system, we all preferred the CAT 5.

I went to JohnR's place on Saturday, armed with my GK-1 and CAT 5 interconnects.
Comparing my GK-1 to JohnR's Lego valve pre amp layed out on a sheet of cardborad with more alligator clips than any other component, the GK-1 didn't sound the greatest.
We fiddled around and ended up using John's 89259 interconnects in my GK-1. It made the GK-1 sound a lot better.
John mentioned that his DAC is a valve jobbie and may have a totally different impedance (or something) to my Rega Planet 2000 cd player.

The CAT 5 lost all of the bass, but made saxaphones sound nice. The Jon Risch 89259 had a great amount of nice bass, and sounded good all over (maybe not as good on saxaphone).

I have been tuning "MY" system for so long that it seems anything you change in my system is not as good as what I currently have. Perhaps "synergy" is alive and well. Perhaps if I started with a valve DAC, I would now have a totally different system.

From what I heard on Saturday, interconnects made more of a difference than anything else.

It made me want to run back to my place and put my system back together exactly the way it was.

andyr

« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2004, 10:52 am »
Hey, Malcolm,

Just for interest sake, would U like to audition a pair of my shielded ICs (I'm not using them at this point in time)??  Given this experience you've just had, I'd be interested in your opinion of their sound as you can give a direct opinion of them relative to your Cat5 ICs and maybe the JR 89259s.

Email me your address (andy.redwood@telstra.com) and I'll send em up to U.  You pay for postage back, OK??

Regards,

Andy