V3SE + blacknoise 2500

bernardl

V3SE + blacknoise 2500
« on: 12 Sep 2010, 09:44 pm »
Hi there,

Just got a blacknoise 2500 to filter the power of my V3SE. Although I see some improvements, the sound seems a bit less lively to my ears.

I am using the standard cables to connect the blacknoise to the amps, could this be the problem?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

worldcat

Re: V3SE + blacknoise 2500
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:13 am »
I have used them with very good success and really like them.  I just  bought a ps audio regenerator and it took it to another level.  But i do like the blacknoise.  Give it a little while longer.

steve_sf

• My Gear
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm »
In my setup the PS Audio Power Plant Premier was one that did not appear to diminish dynamics but to my ear the sound was no different from connecting the amps to unfiltered A/C (I returned the PS Audio unit). With the Nuforce amps I would say they sound great without an active power conditioner. You'll get much more benefit from upgrading upstream components, your speakers or improving room acoustics. Just IMO.

BTW, I do plug my Nuforce amps into a (now discontinued) PS Audio Ultimate Outlet but that's a passive device. And I plug my source components into a PS Audio Power Center.

bernardl

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
In my setup the PS Audio Power Plant Premier was one that did not appear to diminish dynamics but to my ear the sound was no different from connecting the amps to unfiltered A/C (I returned the PS Audio unit). With the Nuforce amps I would say they sound great without an active power conditioner. You'll get much more benefit from upgrading upstream components, your speakers or improving room acoustics. Just IMO.

BTW, I do plug my Nuforce amps into a (now discontinued) PS Audio Ultimate Outlet but that's a passive device. And I plug my source components into a PS Audio Power Center.

Thanks, but the blacknoise appears to be a passive device as well.

The upstream part is pretty good for now, speakers are OK but definitely a step behind the rest of the set up. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

6rs

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:51 am »
Hi
I use them with a Blacknoise 1000, but with 220V.
There is a definite improvement - I would say the sound is less nervous, quieter, more relaxed, more focused.
This could appear as less lively? But dynamics is not restrained, nor is there less detail.

bernardl

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2010, 07:34 am »
hum... words to describe sounds...

I would say that the presentation seemed more liquid without the blacknoise. It seems somewhat drier now.

Not bad, but not exactly the kind of improvement I had imagined.

Anyway, I'll leave it some more time.

Cheers,
Bernard

6rs

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2010, 06:21 pm »
Hi Bernard
Well, "liquid" ranks high on my scale...
This is what the manufacturer wrote when I purchased them:
"You will notice that it will still improve up to about 200 hours, just above a week, the burning time works even without music; just the connection to the electric network works as well.
M. Antonietta Fabi"
I use a Weiss Dac2 and modded ATC SCM20SL (Duelund Xover components). The ATCs, while having a rather dark timbre, are extremely sensitive to become harsh and grainy, and the Blacknoise helped a lot in this respect.
For the Blacknoise, I have purchased the second cheapest cable from Systems and Magic to connect it to the wall, and Mac cables from the unit to the V3s. Have not compared with standard cables though.
Form what I heard, the effect of power conditioning also depends on the quality of the grid. The benefit seems greater in urban areas where noise tends to be more common in the grid.
Bruno

bernardl

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:25 am »
Hi Bernard
Well, "liquid" ranks high on my scale...
This is what the manufacturer wrote when I purchased them:
"You will notice that it will still improve up to about 200 hours, just above a week, the burning time works even without music; just the connection to the electric network works as well.
M. Antonietta Fabi"
For the Blacknoise, I have purchased the second cheapest cable from Systems and Magic to connect it to the wall, and Mac cables from the unit to the V3s. Have not compared with standard cables though.
Form what I heard, the effect of power conditioning also depends on the quality of the grid. The benefit seems greater in urban areas where noise tends to be more common in the grid.

Thank you Bruno. I live in an appartement and have indeed no way of assessing the quality of the incoming current.

I'll follow your advice and wait a bit for the thing to settle, or for my ears to get used to it. :) I plugged it in last Thursday so I am still short of 200 hours but I feel like it has improved a bit already. Go figure.

Cheers,
Bernard