Some FIBA (World Basketball Championships) fans here at AC?

TheChairGuy

Anyone else here watching this amazing tournament?

The US team, with 5 guys of the 12 are still of college age (but, play in the NBA) are playing fantastically of late. 

In a bit of redemption today, the 38th anniversary of a heartbreaking and very disputed 1 point loss to the Soviet Union at the 1972 Olympics, the US prevailed over a MUCH taller Russian team in the end.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqT1.yJkekawPi3z327gRHo5nYcB?slug=ap-worlds-us-russia

Forget LeBron James or Kobe Bryant as the successor to Michael Jordan....Kevin Durant is the most unique talent I've seen in 20 years :o  All of 21 years old, too :)

John

Audioclyde

Re: Some FIBA (World Basketball Championships) fans here at AC?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm »
Big hoops fan here; although until the last couple of years haven't been much of an NBA fan (at least not like I was back in the Walt "Clyde" Frazier days, or even in the Bird/Magic era).  But here in Tulsa, we get to share the new OKC Thunder (sorry Seattle), and Kevin Durant embodies why that young team is so much fun....great attitudes, team first, and really talented.

Haven't watched as much of the FIBA tourney as I'd like though!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm »
There will be a repeat of that USA/Russia game night at 1:30am on ESPN2 and I'lll probably watch it even tho I've already seen the highlights. Lot's of slammajamma goin' on in this game.  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:39 am »
Not enough time in the day but I've tried to watch the USA games, although many other games look good too.  I think this tournament is going to grow in popularity.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:14 am »
Not enough time in the day but I've tried to watch the USA games, although many other games look good too.  I think this tournament is going to grow in popularity.

It's outstanding!!  This is my first time viewing it and I am totally loving it. 

John

flintstone

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:49 am »
Oh Ya.........been watching all along  :thumb: ..........some great games.

Dave

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:40 pm »
I do find it interesting (for me at least) how the size of the crowd and the announcers play into my perception of the game.  Many of the games I've peaked in on had a very sparse and quiet crowd and that made me think nobody cares so why should I.  For me the crowd and/or shared experience aspect of a sporting event are important.  So they are either going to have to change the times of the games or lower tickets prices to fill the stands to increase the "it matters" factor to the TV audience.  It's all marketing, you've got to have a reason to be compelled to watch.  The teams are good and their play, passion and enthusiasm is great.  When you do get a good game and a good crowd it's a good to watch I for one wish i could see more of it live and on network TV or a prime cable channel at decent hours.  Not  just NBA TV where I tape the games I've seen or on ESPN2 at 1:30 am.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2010, 05:14 am »
Gold medal goes to the US - first time in 16 years at FIBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AirD_21d0P_MvRqlpDdpqrc5nYcB?slug=ap-worlds-us-turkey

Great job, gentlemen :thumb:

John