anyone else looking foward to the Ryder Cup?

drphoto

anyone else looking foward to the Ryder Cup?
« on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:05 pm »
The last one was a blast. Some of the most exciting golf I've seen. I got to see Friday's matches in person, as it was here in Louisville.

BTW:I was really proud of my hometown fans. They were loud and enthusiastic when appropriate, but quiet without prompting when needed. While there were chants of "USA, USA" every one cheered good shots from the European players. Plus I don't remember anyone yelling stupid crap like "go in the hole" when players hit approach shots. It seemed to me that players really enjoyed the atmosphere.

The course in Wales looks great. Should be fun.

I've become a big fan of Dustin Johnson. Yeah, he had that meltdown at the Open, and that unfortunate call at the PGA, but he handled it all w/ class and he continues to be in the mix in every tournament. The kid's got game.

Roy McIlroy on the European side is a hell of a young talent too. Love to see him pared w/ Johnson.

I'll probably get stuck at the hospital and miss it. Seems like that had me there for all the Majors this year.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: anyone else looking foward to the Ryder Cup?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:14 pm »
Definitely looking forward to the Ryder Cup!  Hope Tiger and Phil can find their games.  I don't quite grasp a couple of the Captain's picks???

Tiger - Yes, obviously
Fowler - strong all year
Zach - ok, but...
Cink - hasn't played well since the 09' Open

Looking forward to the play in Wales!

johzel

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:15 pm »
Count me in.  Have been to two British Opens, two PGA's and a US Open.  Still have to see the Masters and a Ryder Cup.   The Ryder Cup comes to Wisconsin in a few years so I'll have that covered.  If any forum members can get me Masters tickets it would be greatly appreciated  :D  Am I allowed to make that shameless request on here??? :nono:  Hey, maybe the toughest ticket in all of sports - but someday!!!  I hope.  I think our guys have a good chance - the changes made by then Coach Paul Azinger have improved our selection process.  If Europe loses the cup, look for changes in their process as well.  I'm surprised Monty overlooked Justin Rose and Paul Casey  . . . then again, whoever is hot for those few days will win. 

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm »
Yeah, Rose and Casey are solid. Be interesting to see how Westwood plays. That guy seems like he's reinvented himself.

Yeah, I agree about Cink. Who would be your pick instead? I gotta think about it.

Were you at the recent PGA? Man, what a beautiful course.

johzel

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:31 pm »
Definitely looking forward to the Ryder Cup!  Hope Tiger and Phil can find their games.  I don't quite grasp a couple of the Captain's picks???

Tiger - Yes, obviously
Fowler - strong all year
Zach - ok, but...
Cink - hasn't played well since the 09' Open

Looking forward to the play in Wales!
I think Zack and Stewart bring some experience to the team - we have some nice rookies who can use a veteran with them during the first two days.  They should offer some nice maturity to the team and neither one has had a poor year.  Cink may very well finish in the top 30 this year and has made 17 of 21 cuts.  Zach is currently 17th in FedEx points.  Cink's been under the radar a bit but I think both Zach and Stewart are coming in on form.  One thing will be for sure with Tiger . . . he will be paired with Stricker.  I'll be shocked if it's anyone else.

johzel

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2010, 09:34 pm »
Yeah, Rose and Casey are solid. Be interesting to see how Westwood plays. That guy seems like he's reinvented himself.

Yeah, I agree about Cink. Who would be your pick instead? I gotta think about it.

Were you at the recent PGA? Man, what a beautiful course.

I was.  Live just a couple of hours away.  Nice thing about the Straits - You can play it, just call and make a tee time. . . . but don't forget your wallet!   :thumb:

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm »
I would have picked JB Holmes over Cink.  Length off the tee is rather intimidating...  He is a gamer, particularly in Cup type competitions.

I agree Stricker will play with Tiger all week.  Phil will play with Fowler...  Just a guess.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm »
Nope,,,, not me.  :?

It's football season baby!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:02 pm »
Yes! :D   I hope to watch as much as I can.

Some of Pavins choces  :o are debateable, but this is the team we have so......

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2010, 04:36 pm »
If any forum members can get me Masters tickets it would be greatly appreciated  :D  Am I allowed to make that shameless request on here??? :nono:  Hey, maybe the toughest ticket in all of sports - but someday!!!  I hope.

Uhmm, have you looked for tickets?  They are available in limited quantities on line.  You could have also entered the lottery for the practice round tickets which is held every year, you'd have to wait for 2012 now as the deadline has passed.

The Rider Cup is fun because it's match play, which is so much more fun to watch than stroke play.  The Cup should be another great match this year, yes, I'll be watching on my HT system.  BTW, you can see this type of team play in person at any NCAA event for free or nearly free throughout the year. 

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2010, 01:50 am »
Crazy day. One thing for sure, Cink seems intent on erasing any doubts about being picked. Jolly good show mate!  :D

BTW: Letiroll, I totally agree about match play. I think it's more fun to play as well as watch. I've turned my mother (84) into a golf fan. Today was the first time she'd seen match play, so I was trying to explain the differences in rules and strategy.

johzel

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2010, 02:53 am »
Uhmm, have you looked for tickets?  They are available in limited quantities on line.  You could have also entered the lottery for the practice round tickets which is held every year, you'd have to wait for 2012 now as the deadline has passed.

Hi, Actually I have gotten in the lottery.  I feel confident I can get into a practice round - that's not a problem but regular tickets are hard to come by up here in the frozen tundra.  I did make contact with a vendor who works the Masters, may have a possibility there . . . or, I'll just go the broker route, pay a ridiculous amount of money but live very happily ever after. 

Anyhow, I stayed up and watched the competition last night - what there was of it.  They should never have started the matches, the conditions were ridiculous.  I think they just wanted to give the people who showed up something to see before delaying the matches.  It was pretty miserable weather early on. Our guys are in good position to get off to a good start - now they need to finish off these first round matches!! Nothing like some early confidence and momentum!!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2010, 05:26 pm »
The USA's 2 up lead is rapidly draining away at the moment, behind in all six matches presently.

soundbitten1

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2010, 06:06 pm »
anyone else looking forward to the Ryder Cup?

I always look forward to ryding her but I've never have gotten a cup for it.    8)

Bigfish

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:59 pm »
I love the Ryder Cup  but NBC is driving me crazy with the commercials.  They show 2 minutes of golf and 2 to 3 minutes of commercials.

Ken

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:07 pm »
I love the Ryder Cup  but NBC is driving me crazy with the commercials.  They show 2 minutes of golf and 2 to 3 minutes of commercials.

Ken

DVR dude, DVR.

rodge827

« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2010, 01:13 am »
The commercials are annoying :x, but I'm really pissed with short putts :evil:.

Get it to the hole boys, short putts don't go in :duh:

I hope Capt. Pavin can bring these guys back to life :whip:

Tomorrow should be an interesting day, theres a lot of ground to make up.

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:40 pm »
Europe wins in a close match this morning (as expected)

Bigfish

« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:42 pm »
Europe wins in a close match this morning (as expected)

I don't think any of us would have thought the Europeans could win 5 and tie one of the 6 matches yesterday. 

Congratulations to Europe for winning back the Ryder Cup!

BobM

« Reply #19 on: 4 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
Sorry - bad sentence structure - the match being close was expected, not that the Europeans were expected to be the winner.