Recommendation: GPS w/ Bluetooth around $200

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Recommendation: GPS w/ Bluetooth around $200
« on: 9 Sep 2010, 12:11 pm »
I decided that adding bluetooth would be a permanent benefit for the van. Any recommendations/suggestions on GPS around $200 that offers the best reliability, value, ease of use, etc. Thanks!

ooheadsoo

Re: Recommendation: GPS w/ Bluetooth around $200
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2010, 07:01 am »
I'd love some advice on this, too.  I've only used Garmin GPS devices, and they are adequate, but I really don't know how they compare in interface to the other competitors, like Magellan and TomTom.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:32 pm »
On another forum, Garmin was overwhelmingly the GPS of choice. Since I need to buy today locally, that is probably where I'm headed at this point.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:37 pm »
I have a Garmin, only use it casually as I'm retired but it has never let me down. I was somewhere with my kids in Western PA. last year and when it was time to come home, pretty late and after a long day, it brought me right to my door painlessly...I forget the model number, it wasn't real expensive, but the convenience it provided on that one occasion alone was easily worth every penny. FWIW :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:53 pm »
Mike,

I like my Garmin,  BBC will most likely have them on sale this week, and you can even use them on your BOAT, so you do not get lost.  Garmin - nüvi 1300LM GPS  179 at best buy company. 

JP

cujobob

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:03 pm »
I've used my friend's Garmin GPS quite a bit and it's been great.  Some of the routes aren't the most efficient, but overall, I find it a huge upgrade over Mapquest directions.  Can't really compare with other brands, but I didn't see much I'd need improved on the model I used.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:05 pm »
On another forum, Garmin was overwhelmingly the GPS of choice. Since I need to buy today locally, that is probably where I'm headed at this point.

Garmin tends to get the lion's share of best reviews, too (Consumer reports, et al)

Here's a website dedicated to GPS reviews that I found several months ago that may help: http://www.gpsreview.net/

I own a TomTom...and it's not the best out there by any means.  I bought it primarily 'cause it had a keen price at the time (2.5 years ago) and Canada and Mexico maps were included along with US (and I drive in Canada so it's a savings over buying Canada maps)

Anyhow, the safest choice is usually Garmin.  They're all so keenly priced now, price itslef is not much of a factor.

John
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 04:50 pm by TheChairGuy »

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2010, 08:25 pm »
Thanks all! John, I've been doing some research at your link, very helpful!

Only problem is that here we're pretty limited on choices, and I need this today or tomorrow to send with Sunday. For instance, the Garmin 765T looks about perfect, but no one in the area has it without ordering. BB does have the 1490T, so that might be the choice. Two more places to check first . . .
Started my research a couple of days ago, wish I'd started a week earlier.

Polz

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2010, 09:29 pm »
Hi Mike,

I happen to have both GPS (765T and 1490T).
Both of them works fine; the 1490T has bigger screen which is nice.
Hope this helps

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2010, 02:14 pm »
Thanks again everyone. Picked up a Garmin 1490T locally yesterday. Right out of the box worked great, quicker than the factory nav in our 2009 Murano, and seems easier to use as well! I did the one time update this morning, will play with it today and send it on hopefully a safe journey with my wife tomorrow. Thanks again!