Picking up a Fusion Hybrid tonight.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Picking up a Fusion Hybrid tonight.
« on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:00 pm »
My Pony just ran out of warranty and needs big 50k service, breaks and new tires.  Instead of doing all the work, I am trading it in for a Fusion that will get me access to HOV restricted highways.  It will make my commute easier, spend less on gas, and spend more time with the family.  :thumb:  I called in and reserved for a car with the right options and color as well as 0%/60months finance.  I just have to haggle out the trade in value and extended service package stuff.  What fun!  :duh:

BTW, this car has 700 mile range on a tank!  :o

ctviggen

Re: Picking up a Fusion Hybrid tonight.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:12 pm »
My car averages about 700 miles on a tank.  It's a Jetta "Sportwagen" TDI, with about a 17.5 gallon tank.  I'm getting about 38 miles per gallon of mixed driving (mainly back roads or stop and go, but some highway thrown in) in CT.  That's calculated, not based on the electronic gas mileage indication.  Went to PA and averaged around 36mpg, with the AC blasting (it was over 90 many days) and with all the hills in that area. 

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm »
By the way, do you normally keep cars for 50k miles?  I still have my 1987 Jeep Comanche (150k) and my 2001 Saab (110k).  Finally getting rid of both, but not because either one of them is in bad shape. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:04 pm »
By the way, do you normally keep cars for 50k miles?  I still have my 1987 Jeep Comanche (150k) and my 2001 Saab (110k).  Finally getting rid of both, but not because either one of them is in bad shape.

Nah,  I usually run a car down to the ground.  I would lease if I am only running 50k on each car.  I donated my '96 Explorer after I had 180K, Yukon died after 120k.  Windstar was totaled after 12 years.  I don't feel comfortable doing that with my G6.  Even though GM claims that it will service all Pontiacs for as long as they are running, I just don't feel like I am going to get good service later on.  It will be like a step child kind of thing.  Be that as it may, the main thing really is that I can access Hwy 66 during HOV hours which will allow me to come home before 6 and do things with my daughter before she goes to sleep.  That's worth the money I will probably be losing.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:16 pm »
Congrats on the new Fusion Hybrid! I bought a 2009 Fusion last year with the 4 cylinder that gets 35 MPG highway. They are nice cars and handle extremely well. What tires does it come with?

P.S., running cars (or trucks) into the ground isn't always the smart thing to do either. The real lesson is that they will get your money one way or another. I just like to have new cars and trucks with warranty coverage. running them 4 years, then trade them in. It usually costs me about 2,500 to 3,000 per year to have a new vehicle, which I deem as a tremendous value.

My last Ford Ranger was driven 6 years, I traded in my other Ranger and paid 10K in cash to boot. When I bought my new F150 last year, they gave me 12K for trade in. I liked that deal.

Drive safe.

Wayner

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:48 pm »
The Fusion Hybrid looks like a great car and has great reviews.  Ford has some great cars to offer now.  We looked at those among other options, and ultimately decided we wanted the utility of fold down back seats and a wagon.  Congrats and I'm sure you'll enjoy that car!

My car averages about 700 miles on a tank.  It's a Jetta "Sportwagen" TDI, with about a 17.5 gallon tank.  I'm getting about 38 miles per gallon of mixed driving (mainly back roads or stop and go, but some highway thrown in) in CT.  That's calculated, not based on the electronic gas mileage indication.  Went to PA and averaged around 36mpg, with the AC blasting (it was over 90 many days) and with all the hills in that area.

I bought a '10 TDI Sportwagen a couple weeks ago and love it so far.  Averaged about 42 mpg on my first 2 tanks with fairly aggressive and windy driving.  Coming from about 19-20mpg that is nice.  Now I just have to brace for the VW service/reliability/tco experience after having great experience with Acura/Hondas.  It is definitely a sweet drive and torque is your friend in real world driving :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:08 pm »
Congrats on the new Fusion Hybrid! I bought a 2009 Fusion last year with the 4 cylinder that gets 35 MPG highway. They are nice cars and handle extremely well. What tires does it come with?

Wayner

They are Michelin 225/50R17 Tires with V Rating.  I don't know which model exactly without seeing them. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:24 pm »
The Fusion Hybrid looks like a great car and has great reviews.  Ford has some great cars to offer now.  We looked at those among other options, and ultimately decided we wanted the utility of fold down back seats and a wagon.  Congrats and I'm sure you'll enjoy that car!

I bought a '10 TDI Sportwagen a couple weeks ago and love it so far.  Averaged about 42 mpg on my first 2 tanks with fairly aggressive and windy driving.  Coming from about 19-20mpg that is nice.  Now I just have to brace for the VW service/reliability/tco experience after having great experience with Acura/Hondas.  It is definitely a sweet drive and torque is your friend in real world driving :thumb:

My wife already has a Ford Flex which allows me to have a passenger car.   It is definitely handy (and necessary for our hobby) for a family to have a utility vehicle with cargo/passenger carrying capacity.  So, I understand completely why you made your choice.  I might have done the same if we did not already have a Flex.  Enjoy your wagon and may you ferry many audio toys in it!  :thumb:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2010, 08:14 pm »
Congrats Woodsyi.  The hybrid does move quickly on I-66, it's just the 30 minutes it takes to get across town to get on I-66 that's the problem!  :x

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2010, 08:32 pm »
My sister just got a Fusion Hybrid.

Came with a smudge on the headliner which she insisted should be cleaned.
As part of the cleaning, the Ford tech burned, yes, burned a hole through it.
Wait a few weeks for a new headliner only to find structural damage behind the burned headliner.
Wait a few more weeks for this new part, and finally she has her car, which her family really likes.

-Mike

ricmon

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm »
Good choice Rem.  A buddy of mine does car reviews and had a Fusion Hybrid press car.  He had nothing but praise for the car.  As far as the HOV lanes I hope they don't stop giving hybrids access.  Some where I heard there will be no more breaks for hybrids.  I hope that's not true. 

Ric

LadyDog

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:18 am »
Very nice car Rim.  While not owning one, had the pleasure on a few occasion of renting/driving a Fusion.  97% of the Camry/Accord which is somewhat considered the "benchmarks" of the family sedan. 

I'd probably buy a Fusion/Milan before the other two anyway, quality/drive is that good.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:38 am »
Very nice car Rim.  While not owning one, had the pleasure on a few occasion of renting/driving a Fusion.  97% of the Camry/Accord which is somewhat considered the "benchmarks" of the family sedan. 

I'd probably buy a Fusion/Milan before the other two anyway, quality/drive is that good.

Totally agreed.  I rented a bottom-rung Fusion (4 cylinder, skinny tires, basic trim, etc) from Hertz in Minneapolis a few months ago.

I had a long ride from Minny to Eau Claire, WI (and back) in that car....and it sped along at 70mph+ without a hitch and remarkably composed for the 90 minute each way journey. Even the drivers seat was hospitable - something most American cars I've found to be close to awful versus most of the European makes (tho no worse all in all than many of the Japanese ones) 

That was absolutely the best Ford I've ever rented (I've rented from Hertz for years and they used to be owned by Ford I think...so I've driven a lot of Ford's over the years)

Enjoy Rim!

John

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:55 am »

My 1999 Chrysler LHS has 292,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and is still running good.  Won't buy another car until this one quits.

--Jerome