Dodd preamp

MikeCTM2

Dodd preamp
« on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:58 am »
i got the Dodd $450 preamp today.  i installed it just how my solid state preamp was.  i took no precautions with regards to combating a hum.  started up the system and there's no hum at all.  next to the sound.  it sounds great.  i read one person post already how the bass is great.  i'm now listenin' to diana's live in paris and i can see how tubes are a pleasure.  i can see also how people say the system vanishes.  it seems like it's puttin' out more power/energy than my ss pre too.  anyway i could keep goin on but i'm not a pro listener yet.    bottom line it makes the system sound really cool.   piano, violens sound very nice now.   oh i'm glad i'm remembering this - i like it in the looks/build dept too
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2011, 12:01 am by MikeCTM2 »

MikeCTM2

Dodd preamp
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 06:43 pm »
day 2 of listening now    i can see how people say tubes are nicer to listen to   that is for sure.   the midrange is sounding great and like they say that's what humans are used to hearing, or are familar with.   really great  total listening experience.  sounds more fluid and natural.  drums sound better, vocals sound better, i think just everything sounds better.  highs are nice and pleasant and there's more of an open sound.  which then leads to thoughts about the sound stage or imaging.  much bigger, wider and better sound stage now.  bass is great ofcourse too. dang  i'm listening to jack johnson's new cd now and just can't believe how nice this is.   with the guitar plucking and so on i can see how people describe the sound as organic.   bottom line today  it's obvious why people like tubes.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2011, 12:03 am by MikeCTM2 »

chriss

Dodd preamp
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2004, 01:49 am »
Hi Mike,
Glad to hear your enjoying it.I really like mine as well. This may be too early to mention this but I found that it can sound even better with a nice set of Amprex. I have Orange Globe 6dj8's in mine and my friend Dave uses 7308's. It is a very noticable diffrence.
Have fun
chris

truant

Dodd preamp
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2004, 02:52 am »
glad to see some comments about Gary's $450 preamp. I just mailed Gary the money for this pre and can't wait to get it into my system. I've had a Norh ACA 2b for the past year. I like the sound and certainly feel like I got my money's worth but once I read about the Dodd and saw the pics I knew I had to have this. I'll check back in once I get the chance to listen for a couple of days and hopefully will have some helpful comparative notes between the Norh and it's prospective successor.

MikeCTM2

ECC88 6922 7308
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2004, 06:45 pm »
which 7308 tubes does your friend have?  i saw there's white, orange and green label 7308's.    the white label's are the top choice and oldest of the three.  then the orange ones are 2nd.  i think the orange are '67 and '68 and green after that.   all three types made in new york except a few white labels made in holland.   i'm learning a 7308 tube is a low noise, low hum 6922.  i read they're a bit quieter, cleaner than 6922 or ECC88 tubes.    7308's are JAN, USN-CEP or PQ labeled and i was told that there's no difference in them.  USN-CEP, JAN was for military build standards and PQ for commercial build standards.   i guess JAN means 'joint army navy' and the other 'US Navy'.   orange globes are 6DJ8/ECC88 just like the bugleboys but i suppose a person also could be referring to the the orange label 7308's which also have a orange globe on them.

http://www.vintagetubeservices.com/page9.html

link is pics of the new york factory that made all the 6922 & 7308 Amperex USA tubes

truant

Dodd preamp
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2004, 07:03 am »
my preamp came Thursday so I've had a couple of days to listen. It replaces a Norh ACA 2b which I've had for a year. $400 vs $450 for the Dodd. Both use the same tubes and are so close in price I thought it would be an interesting comparison. I used the tubes that Gary sent with the pre for the first day then put in my Amperex white labels that were too microphonic in the Norh. They would scream like crazy even with the HALO tube dampers.  These tubes sound great but after a song or two the whistles and screams would set in so I'd put the Sovteks back in. With the HALOs the Sovteks actually sound pretty good. The dampers are a must no matter what tubes as far as I'm concerned. But no screaming in the Dodd. I'm assuming the reason for this is Gary's workmanship eliminating any vibrations that would effect the tubes. This pre is a work of art. It has a similar sound to the Norh but with better tonal balance, tighter bass, and more detail. There is also more separation between instruments. The Norh tends to smear things a bit with a bass that could get boomy at times. I'm using the same power cord...a Shunyata Diamondback. This PC, like the amperex tubes and the dampers, helps to extend the bass and greatly improve dynamics. Another comment or two on the workmanship of this thing...it is beautifully made. Very elegant in an industrial sort of way.  The volume control is a joy to use which is a high priority for me. I love good knobs and switches. Well that's my quick initial impression. Nothing too technical but wanted to help get the word out. Thanks Gary! It's great being poor but still able to own great gear!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: ECC88 6922 7308
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2004, 09:48 am »
Quote from: MikeCTM2
which 7308 tubes does your friend have?  i saw there's white, orange and green label 7308's.    the white label's are the top choice and oldest of the three.  then the orange ones are 2nd.  i think the orange are '67 and '68 and green after that.   all three types made in new york except a few white labels made in holland.   i'm learning a 7308 tube is a low noise, low hum 6922.  i read they're a bit quieter, cleaner than 6922 or ECC88 tubes.    7308's are JAN, USN-CEP or PQ labeled and i was told that ther ...
Here's a link that may help inform about the many different tubes in the 6DJ8 family >> http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8  :)

truant

Dodd preamp
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2004, 02:54 am »
well I've had my $450 preamp for a little over a week and man this thing puts out some smooth sounds. The Norh ACA is a distant memory now. I wish I had known about the Dodd last year when I first started shopping around for an inexpensive tube pre. Everything sounds great and I have been especially pleased with the way it handles my Miles Davis Columbia recordings. They sounded somewhat harsh through the Norh. Looking forward to the day when I move up to one of Gary's more sophisticated preamps but then maybe I'll never outgrow this one.