Your favorite motor oil with Chevy's 7.4L V8

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Your favorite motor oil with Chevy's 7.4L V8
« on: 4 Sep 2010, 01:00 pm »
What kind of oil do you like to use?

Does anybody use synthetic in a Chevy 7.4l engine? I tried Shell's Synthetic 5W40 and it had great pressure, but the engine was burning/using it. No blue exhaust, ever. As it was using, I started replacing it with 10W30 Pennzoil and usage declined noticeably. The engine states it's supposed to use 10W30, but I wanted something that works well in the winter. My other vehicles love synthetic. The oil pressure was very good with 5W40. In fact, it averaged about 5lbs more than 10W30. A friend said not to use synthetic oil with big blocks.  :scratch:

svg1

Re: Your favorite motor oil with Chevy's 7.4L V8
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:22 pm »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:32 pm »
When you switch to a synthetic in an older engine it takes a while before the valve seals get reconditioned to the add pack in the synthetic oil, so they let a bit of oil by during the first couple of OCI's (oil change intervals).  They will eventually go back to seating completely if you stick with synthetic, this is all quite normal.  For more info try http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2010, 09:21 pm »
A friend said not to use synthetic oil with big blocks.  :scratch:

:lol:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
I do not believe the engine is very old. It surprised me to see absolutely no sludge in the heads when looking down through the oil fill location. It looks practically new in there. Also- there are no leaks. The rear main and all gaskets are tight. My estimate is that it may be 2-3 years old based on the light varnish buildup in the heads. I assume the rings have sealed by now, but it most likely only ran on standard oil.

I took it on a 200+ mile round trip yesterday and I did not notice any usage with the present semi-synthetic mix in there (Penzoil & remaining Shell). Your assumption sounds correct that the engine may just have to get used to synthetic oil. Note: When it was 100% synthetic, no leaks started anywhere. It was still tight.

Thanks for everybody's help so far!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2010, 12:33 am »
Yeah, it's not leakage in the traditional sense like when you get blue smoke from ring blow by.  Every motor oil has seal conditioners that keep the seals from drying out.  There is a difference in the amount or type of conditioners used in Type III or Type IV synthetics and dino oil.  Please don't quote me as to which one it is, I can't remember anything other than it's different.  Search through the BITOG site if anyone cares that much.  So yes, using a blend of dino and synthetic can mitigate this temporary oil usage

However mixing any two oil brands is not the best idea unless you are an oil industry chemist, or have access to the advise of one.  The base stock oils are completely compatible between dino and synthetic, but the chemical add packs (which are extensive and voluminous) are likely to be very different between any two motor oils and can easily clash, greatly reducing performance and/or longevity.  Or there can be no problem at all, it's just that you don't know unless you know what you are mixing together.       

Cyclotronguy

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm »
You've not seen any sludge in the valve covers cause that engine runs such high vacuum to the crankcase that none ever builds up.

Cyclotronguy

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:20 pm »
:lol:

I'm laughing along with 'jt' here as well.......... I use synthetics (Amsoil) in everything I own....cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, garden tractor. Been doing so since 1976, extended drain intervals along with Donaldson or Hastings filters has never let me down !

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:10 pm »
You've not seen any sludge in the valve covers cause that engine runs such high vacuum to the crankcase that none ever builds up.