Tyson's V2 Venuette DIY Build

mcgsxr

Re: Tyson's V2 Venuette DIY Build
« Reply #80 on: 18 Sep 2010, 12:44 pm »
Tyson, thanks for documenting your build, great that you have found a new direction for your system, and happy to hear that you are thrilled with Danny's kit!

jeffh

« Reply #81 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:13 pm »
Tyson,

Are you going to install a grill?  I would love to see pictures of how you make them. Seems like most build threads do not include the grills and I have always wondered how everybody makes them and how they attach them to the speakers.

Jeff

Rclark

« Reply #82 on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:39 pm »
From what I understand the V's outperform the Orion's, expecially the Super-V, and are much less headache to get into because you only need one small amp to run it. The Orion requires several high power, high dollar amps to sound its best.

So cosmetic similarities of the OB section aside, I know which one I'd pick :D.

Just look at all the thousands and thousands of square shaped, sealed monitor speakers! And yet they all manage to be different from each other.

Sometimes basic simlarities of design are unavoidable, one would figure this to be pretty obvious stuff, like how most of the highest performance sportbikes are inline 4 engines, nobody gets on a Honda forum and says they're copying Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc, it's just a given. OB design and speaker design is some esoteric stuff to me, and given Danny's sterling reputation, I would assume that there aren't many options for achieving compact, dual ob subs in a floorstanding speaker. I do notice that no one else has theirs slanted as in the V2.

Really a moot point. Completely different designs entirely when you look at them. Even in my noob estimation the only similarity is a cosmetic one. I'd also place my bet on the V series being the one to go for.

Rclark

« Reply #83 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:33 pm »
So that someone not-in-the-know who stumbles across this thread can understand some of the differences because those points weren't being brought up.

And trolls feed themselves, plus kill one another pops up.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #84 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:54 pm »
I already have 6 channels of very high quality amplification, and I could very easily have built the Orion, especially since OB bass is such a winner in my room.  BUT, the V2's give me all that PLUS coincident radiation, PLUS constant directivity, PLUS much higher efficiency.  In the end, it was an easy choice.

Tyson

« Reply #85 on: 19 Sep 2010, 08:15 am »
Just an update, the V2's sounded great this morning, then after several hours of Isotek burn in, sounded pretty mediocre this evening.  Man, I hate burn in!

ronpod

« Reply #86 on: 19 Sep 2010, 03:03 pm »
Tyson -- Thanks for sharing your V2 experiences. I, too, was surprised by the beautiful sounds that the V2 could produce when I heard them at RMAF 2009. It was the best sounding in the speaker line-up group of that room. But they were not placed well in the room to maximize what they were capable of IMHO. Hopefully, if Danny brings them for RMAF 2010, they will be room optimized.

I did spend most of one day at RMAF listening to the Super V to help me make a purchasing descision. The people in that room were fantastique. Danny and Dave were very helpful. Mr. Dodd was particularly a joy to talk to. I hope that Danny will be bringing similar merchandise to this years' event and may surprise us with tweaks to the Super V or perhaps his latest discoveries.

Your comparision of the V2 to Mike's Gedlee speakers was also of great interest to me. The Abbeys are a speaker that I consider at the cutting edge of technology and have interest in but haven't had a chance to hear. Perhaps your V2s will satisfy you more then the Abbeys after burn-in is done.

Tyson

« Reply #87 on: 19 Sep 2010, 08:54 pm »
One other interesting thing happened today - the sound was still a bit sterile (and muffled at the same time), when it occurred to me that I'd switched to a different USB path for my USB-SPDIF converter, the new one going through a USB Bridge.  So, I unplugged the converter from the bridge and used my Kimber USB cable directly into the converter - wow, warmer and smoother sounding at one fell swoop :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:05 pm »
Wait until you go I2S direct with USB.

The moderators cleaned up the thread and gave Lowtech a time out.

Tyson

« Reply #89 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:40 pm »
Indeed!  Plus, get the new tube based preamp 6bl7 output tubes and 6sn7 input tubes with CCS used throughout, Lundahl output transformers and the Dutch Tent Audio relay-based volume control and source switching unit.  Then I can pull the DEQX out, since I'm not using it for correction or crossover function, that'll save me an extra AD/DA conversion that is unnecessary. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #90 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:15 pm »
Is it necessary to drive them hard to break them in or can that be accomplished at low volumes?

Tyson

« Reply #91 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm »
IMO, the crossover components can be done at low volumes, but the drivers like to have high volumes.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #92 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:11 pm »
That's what I was thinking but I wonder how much hinges on the drivers?

Tyson

« Reply #93 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm »
I've broken in drivers both with and without a passive crossover, and it's about equal between the 2, IMO.

jkelly

« Reply #94 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:12 am »
Tyson,

Would Chuck be interested in selling a flat pack?

Jeff

Wind Chaser

« Reply #95 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:36 am »
I think I might have a carpenter lined up to build these for me.

Tyson

« Reply #96 on: 21 Sep 2010, 05:52 am »
jkelly,
Sure, but it won't be cheap :)

Tyson

« Reply #97 on: 21 Sep 2010, 06:14 am »
Oh, and I had Danny send me some 20ohm resistors to pad down the tweeters, cause I'm usually very sensitive to high frequency prominence.  After the current level of break in, the V2's were sounding quite muted.  So, put the original 30ohm resistors back in place, and I gotta hand it to Danny, they are pretty much perfectly balanced out of the box.

nickd

« Reply #98 on: 21 Sep 2010, 07:57 pm »
Hi tyson,

I've been folowing your post as I am building a pair Super V's 8) and considering V2's for my son. I thought I was the only one on this forum who had bought the tent labs resistor ladder volume control (2 of them) :scratch: They look to me to be the best available fir DYI. I have been wondering what Gary Dodd's pre would sound like with one of them installed :o

I am working on re-configuring a ultra high end Erno B. solid state all FET pre using them in balanced config. Love to hear your impressions on them as well.

Tyson

« Reply #99 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm »
Nick,
Congrats on the Super V's.  If I had the space for them and listened less off-axis I'd probably have them instead.

From what I can tell, the Tent Audio volume/switch is similar to the Bent Audio stuff, which I've head and was very impressed with.  I'm actually having Mike build me a combo preamp/headphone amp and of course I love the sound of tubes :)  I'm hoping the Tent Audio volume/switch gives me great transparency and the tubes give me a bit of warmth.  Your preamp sounds pretty sweet too, I'd love to hear something like that some day.