Re: Tyson's V2 Venuette DIY Build
« Reply #20 on: 5 Sep 2010, 05:44 am »
sweeeet!!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2010, 06:08 am »
Very nice pictures Mike,,, erre I mean Tyson.  :lol:  (just a little scotch humor :D ). I'm really looking foreward to your insights on these loudspeakers and how they compare to your present ones. Should be interesting.  8) 

Keep up the good work Tyson.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

brother love

« Reply #22 on: 5 Sep 2010, 11:01 am »
Wow, Tyson. Super quick turnaround. When you start something, you don't mess around do you?  :wink:

Keep those pics & comments coming.  Very inspiring.  Great stuff.

jeffh

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2010, 03:19 pm »
Where did you mount the amp?  Can you post a picture?

Thanks

Jeff

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2010, 03:22 pm »
They look great!  You may want to shorten the leads on the crossover caps.  I would think that Danny would agree.  ??

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2010, 04:51 pm »
The amps are still in the packing material they came in, I'll be building some nice separate boxes later. 

Re: the cap leads - I could do that, but I want to keep the inductors as physically far apart as possible, so I kept the leads long in this case.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:49 am »
I'm really looking foreward to your insights on these loudspeakers and how they compare to your present ones.

+1  Any updates or new picturess?  About how many hours did you put into these?  I'm going to see if I can find a carpenter.

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:04 am »
Total hours, about 20.  Speakers are pretty much fully put together now, except for the sides and the veneer.  Unfortunately, one of the drivers was damaged in transit.  The replacement driver should be here tomorrow.  Once I get it installed, I will run them passively and actively and see which I prefer.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:51 am »
Total hours, about 20.  Speakers are pretty much fully put together now, except for the sides and the veneer.

Cool, Danny says these are an ‘easy’ build.  What was the most challenging part of putting them together?  Did you use 1” or ¾” MDF?  No Rez?

TIA

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:21 pm »
Hi Wind Chaser,
The hardest part of the build was the angled woofers.  I recommend installing the woofers into the cutouts before assembling the final box.  Otherwise, you can't reach the screws that are in the interior of the box.  Danny actually said to use hex screws with a nut on these spots, so you can take them out in the future if you want to.

UPDATE

OK, I had some problems with both coax drivers.  P Audio does a shitty packing job on them, just tossing them into a box with no padding.  I ended up with one driver that had no midrange coming out of it (but the tweeter was fine), while the 2nd driver had a good midrange, but a broken tweeter.  Talked with Danny and a new driver was sent out immediately.  Here's the cool thing - the tweeter unit can be completely detached by simply unscrewing it from the back of the woofer.  So, I was able to swap the good tweeter into the good midrange unit, so that when the new unit from Danny came, I had 2 fully working coax drivers.  Nice!!  I love modular construction :)

Here's the latest pics of the build:

LISTENING IMPRESSIONS

I've listened to these speakers in fully active mode using my DEQX 3.0 and in passive mode using Danny's crossover.  In active mode, the tweeter is just too sensitive, at 105db, it makes my tweeter amp sound very noisy indeed when hooked up directly.  If I "listen past" the noise, it sounds pretty good.  But honestly, it's hard to listen past the noise.

Hooked up passively, but still using the DEQX in preamp-only mode, the noise is greatly attenuated and it's very hard to hear anything past 2 feet directly in front of the speaker.  With the standard 30ohm Mills resistor across the tweeter terminals, the speaker is too bright for my tastes (note that I have a hard, reflective room), but with the 20ohm Mills resistor, it's just about perfect, tonally speaking. 

Overall impressions so far:

1. OB bass is Da Bomb in difficult rooms like mine.  I always had problems with uneven loading of my room with the Ella's, and that's pretty much gone now.

2. OB Midrange has much more air and space.  You REALLY hear when people are speaking or singing in large acoustic spaces.

3. High Efficiency Drivers rock.  They not only track tonal differences between different instruments better, they also have a much faster "settle time", so that things don't get confused on busy passages.  They are even better than the SEAS Nextel drivers I'd been using previously (which are better than the Scan Speak drivers in this aspect). 

4.  These speakers are made for tubes.  I hooked up my rather warm sounding audio-gd CS1 solid state amp for a bit, but really the V2's love tubes.  And, since they are so efficient, you can get by with a moderately powered amp and they still will knock you on your butt.  I have just a single hot-rodded Dynakit ST70 amp driving the mids/highs and the SA-1 sub amp on the bass woofers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:34 pm »
I contacted the US importer today about the packing issue and they are forwarding it to P-Audio.

Tyson, find some heavy drape material for those windows. You'll really like the effect.

Also try pulling them much further out into the room. Even if you can't leave them that far out into the room. You need to hear the effect.

ebag4

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:35 pm »

1. OB bass is Da Bomb in difficult rooms like mine.  I always had problems with uneven loading of my room with the Ella's, and that's pretty much gone now.

2. OB Midrange has much more air and space.  You REALLY hear when people are speaking or singing in large acoustic spaces.

3. High Efficiency Drivers rock.  They not only track tonal differences between different instruments better, they also have a much faster "settle time", so that things don't get confused on busy passages.  They are even better than the SEAS Nextel drivers I'd been using previously (which are better than the Scan Speak drivers in this aspect). 

Hey Tyson, congrats on the build.  You have listed my favorite things about OBs in general and the "V" series in particular. :thumb:

Welcome to the club!

Best,
Ed

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:05 pm »
Nicely done Tyson, I look forward to your ongoing comments as they break in more.

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
The Ella's are gone for sure, as is the previous audio-gd bass amp.  The only question is the DEQX and running active vs. passive.  I am pretty sure I like the Scott Nixon Tubedac+ better than the internal DEQX DAC.

The cool thing about the V2 is that the tweeter and the midrange are physically radiating from the same location.  I've learned that I'm very sensitive to disparate radiation patterns.  So, the V2's address one of the ongoing problems I've had with speakers for a long time now (and probably one of the reasons I've been on the "upgrade" treadmill for so long).  Specifically, the physical separation of tweeter and midrange sounds incredibly unnatural to my ears.  The DEQX went a long way to correcting this issue, but even the DEQX couldn't address it completely since I listen in the near-field and off-axis the majority of the time.  If I listened on-axis and in the medium or far field, then it would probably be a non-issue.  But I don't. 

So here I am, enjoying the hell out of the V2's in passive mode.  Anyone interested in a DEQX?

JDUBS

« Reply #34 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm »
PM'd  :thumb:

-Jim

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:57 pm »
Congrats on the build Tyson......I sure would like to give the V-2s a listen to see how they compare with my V-1s.

If your drivers are anything like mine they need about 100hrs to break in....after a couple hundred
they were magic. I remember the first few hrs were brow raising......
Wonder if the other owners experienced the same?

If you have half the enjoyment I've had, you are one lucky guy.

Welcome to the V club   :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #36 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:56 pm »
WOW,,, just the fact that I are ready to unload you Ella's after such a short demo period says volumes to me,,,, congrates Tyson.  :thumb:   I'm sure it'll only get better for ya as you start tweaking them,,, maybe Blackhole(?) damping around them drivers and definitely pull them out away from that front wall. I have no doubt you'll be tube gear demo'ing down the road, maybe Todd gear???  :o   :D

I look foreward to hearing for from ya down the road,,, you're always an interesting read Tyson.  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:30 am »
Thanks Safrat,

The Ellas are about as far as I could take conventional cone/dome/box technology, when combined with the DEQX.  The fact that I was still not happy with them completely meant that I had to look for a different engineering solution.  OB bass and midrange seemed to be a logical choice, along with a point source for mid/highs.  Luckily Danny was developing an affordable solution about the same time as I was looking for something in this area.  As they say, "Sometimes its better to be lucky than good" ;)

Tyson

« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:39 am »
Hi PDR,
100 hours, eh?  I think I can struggle through :D  I only wish I had fully bipolar tweeters like you do.  Hmmm, maybe I can mod these tweeters myself to get the same effect.  But Danny says that will require a crossover re-work, which I am certainly not qualified to do...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:13 am »
Another nice tweak is to bypass the tweeter caps with sonicap platinums.  They took all of my AV123 speakers to another level.