I am getting a lot of calls about these LS-6 cabinets

jn316

Re: I am getting a lot of calls about these LS-6 cabinets
« Reply #80 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:12 pm »
well, it sounds like my amp was stolen. (h34)
and the speakers i got have pushed in tweeters. yay

Bummer.  :cry:

I saw all three H34's (2 new ones and the parts-only one) while I was there from 10am to Noon. So they must have disappeared after that. I think lot 164 was in it's box with the top open and lot 99 was sitting by itself on a pallet unboxed. I hope it turns up.

mojave

« Reply #81 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:17 pm »
It says it on the shipping boxes "Made with Pride etc...". If they are Palisander, they are from Cali.
I asked Santiago via PM what veneer would match the Palisander and if the ones at the auction would be considered A stock. He replied that the veneer is Brazilian Rosewood (which I had guessed) and that without the serial numbers, he wouldn't know and that they could even be made in China. This leads me to believe that not all Palisander cabinets were from Columbia.

jn316

« Reply #82 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:23 pm »
I asked Santiago via PM what veneer would match the Palisander and if the ones at the auction would be considered A stock. He replied that the veneer is Brazilian Rosewood (which I had guessed) and that without the serial numbers, he wouldn't know and that they could even be made in China. This leads me to believe that not all Palisander cabinets were from Columbia.

Thanks for that info. I might be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!  :thumb:

Oh, in this thread on page 6,7

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82531.msg794891#msg794891

there was some discussion about the LS6 woofer holes and whether the back side needed to be rounded or not. I checked my rosewood cabinets and it had been done. I'm not sure if the Cali ones have been or not. You don't HAVE to do it, but it sounds like it's not a bad idea, especially if you don't have any drivers in yet. FYI.

johnzm

« Reply #83 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:27 pm »
Bummer.  :cry:

I saw all three H34's (2 new ones and the parts-only one) while I was there from 10am to Noon. So they must have disappeared after that. I think lot 164 was in it's box with the top open and lot 99 was sitting by itself on a pallet unboxed. I hope it turns up.

it is a bummer. its put me in a crappy mood ever since i heard.  hopefully the auction house finds it somewhere and lets me know. with the way things are going so far today, i dont know if i should expect that, or even expect them to refundme the cost of the amp at this point..

jn316

« Reply #84 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:34 pm »
When I was there, some of the guys were missing some items too. I'm pretty sure I overheard the guy in charge offer to give them their money back it they wished. I can't help but think they will do that if it doesn't turn up...but I guess you never know.

johnzm

« Reply #85 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:43 pm »
When I was there, some of the guys were missing some items too. I'm pretty sure I overheard the guy in charge offer to give them their money back it they wished. I can't help but think they will do that if it doesn't turn up...but I guess you never know.

you would think by the short amount of time from the listing to the auction end, there wouldnt be time for any thief scumbags to get involved in the auction. i guess i just thought that anyone that knew (people browsing this and other audio forums) would have a bit of respect for the fact that other people had won those things sitting around in there. i guess i was wrong  :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoOR_NWHyo&feature=player_embedded

this is the only thing thats gotten me to smile in the last 3 hrs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:52 pm »
So Danny, are you thinking of renting a truck? It would seem more cost effective than paying for shipping one box at a time. Where are you located?

I have an account with YRC and get a pretty good rate.

freerider

« Reply #87 on: 3 Sep 2010, 04:44 am »

there was some discussion about the LS6 woofer holes and whether the back side needed to be rounded or not. I checked my rosewood cabinets and it had been done. I'm not sure if the Cali ones have been or not. You don't HAVE to do it, but it sounds like it's not a bad idea, especially if you don't have any drivers in yet. FYI.

Does anyone have pictures of the routered woofer holes? I don't think mine does not have the routed edges.  Also, my packaging does not say Cali on it anywhere, so I assume it's from China.

Has anyone confirmed that there is a noticeable audible difference, or is the opinion that it is better based on theory?  It seems to make sense, I'm just wondering if I would hear any difference?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #88 on: 3 Sep 2010, 04:47 am »
Rosewood is from China and Palisander is from Colombia.

jn316

« Reply #89 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:11 am »
Does anyone have pictures of the routered woofer holes?

You can see it in these two pics.

As someone mentioned in the other thread, about 1/4" roundover.

Couple of other pics just for fun.

Yep. Got a missing port tube, but Danny's got me covered.   :thumb:

jn316

« Reply #90 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:26 am »
Also, my packaging does not say Cali on it anywhere, so I assume it's from China.

Does it say this on the box?

freerider

« Reply #91 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:57 pm »
Nope.  My box is plain, and my cabinet is Palisander Satin.  So I guess it's from Cali.

I'm learning a lot about these speakers from this thread, and getting a growing list of questions about my build at the same time.

I'm wondering what the sound difference will be between:
  • Rounded vs squared woofer holes?
  • Polyfill vs. Norez?
  • AV123 auction crossover vs. GR Research kit crossovers?

jn316

« Reply #92 on: 3 Sep 2010, 04:10 pm »
I'm wondering what the sound difference will be between:
  • Rounded vs squared woofer holes?
  • Polyfill vs. Norez?
  • AV123 auction crossover vs. GR Research kit crossovers?

You could do a search on some of those and find info., or I'm sure Danny could quickly cover the basic differences.

My take:
-The first one is covered, I think, in the thread I linked above. I don't think it will change performance much, but as Danny said...he'd do it! If you have a friend with a router, it shouldn't take long at all. Just make sure to tape the veneer so that the router doesn't scrape it. Do it now while there is easy access.
-Plenty of info. on No Rez in numerous threads. Much better resonance control with No Rez. It will take about 8-9 sheets, so not a trivial cost, but I'm guessing most would say it is well worth it.
-GR crossovers will take many things up a notch, but probably not a monumental difference because AV123 already incorporated some of Danny's Xover parts in the key areas (Sonicaps and Mills resistors). My issue: Why skimp here if I'm going to do No Rez etc...? Of course, Danny might blow us away with a package deal on those AV123 Xovers so it might be very tempting.  8)

jkelly

« Reply #93 on: 3 Sep 2010, 04:26 pm »
I am interested in a pair of LS-6 cabinets if anyone has a set to sell.

Jeff

Milehighguy

« Reply #94 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm »
jkelly, I just sent you a PM.
If anyone else is interested in a pair of LS-6 cabinets, or a MFW cabinet with woofer and defective amp, please shoot me a PM.

devste

« Reply #95 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:33 pm »
Milehighguy, I just sent you a PM.

sandbagger

« Reply #96 on: 3 Sep 2010, 09:04 pm »
I have good news for you john.....

Looks like the guys that picked up my stuff with another guys, and it was a TON of stuff, accidentally grabbed both.

Sending you a PM in a minute

well, it sounds like my amp was stolen. (h34)
and the speakers i got have pushed in tweeters. yay

johnzm

« Reply #97 on: 3 Sep 2010, 09:34 pm »

Looks like the guys that picked up my stuff with another guys, and it was a TON of stuff, accidentally grabbed both.

I am actually speechless, that there are some good people left in this world.

Thank you for letting me know, and i sent you a PM.

BLWTX

« Reply #98 on: 3 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm »

My hat is off to you!!! You are a "Good Man" Sandbagger!!!!
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bizarroterl

« Reply #99 on: 4 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm »

+5 on reputation.