How to wire this speaker

Carlman

How to wire this speaker
« on: 26 Feb 2004, 02:52 pm »
A guy I work brought me a speaker to look at that was kind of odd in its wiring.  It's a Rockford Fosgate 4x6 plate with a 3" midrange driver and a small metal tweeter.  Both say '4 ohms'.  These are for his Jeep.  I would've posted this in 12V but, it's a lab-type question....

There's what looks like a simple crossover device with 2 leads labeled 'in' with pos and neg and 2 leads labeled as 'out' (+ and -).

Additionally, there's a 100uF, 100v cap on the 3" driver.  

He has a standard, stock radio, with the usual + and - lead per speaker.

How would you wire this?  The goal was cheap and he got these speakers for $30.  I may be able to get photos later today to illustrate the issue.

But, it seems to me, there's 2 leads for 4 inputs... so a Y of some sort is in order.. But, I would think that'd present a 2-ohm load.  Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help.

-Carl

WerTicus

How to wire this speaker
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 12:53 am »
most car amps do 2 ohms okay dont they?
my hi fi one does too ;)

if your going to wire in series then i would put the woofer first and its output to the tweet but that makes 8 which is too much for a car amp... hrmmm

no i would say in parallel for a 2ohm load.

Carlman

How to wire this speaker
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2004, 02:39 am »
Well... he contacted Rockford Fosgate and they told him to do the Y before the drivers.  
So, it'll be split the primary lead into 2 from amp:
Split 1 to capacitor on + lead to 3" driver and - to speaker terminal.
Split 2 to 'in' + and - leads on crossover network (which has some resistors, diodes and a coil on it) and the 'out' + and - from xover to tweeter.

I doubt the combo of stock 1 watt radio with power suckers like these would provide much of a good sound but that's the way it goes sometimes.  I'm hoping he'll realize he needs a better head unit.  An amp is out of the question.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Carl