Need new car advice

jackman

Re: Need new car advice
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:56 am »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.  Also, very sorry for not posting pictures.  I left my iPhone at home and was unable to take any pictures.   :oops:  Anyway, I made a decision and ordered my new car!   :thumb:

In the end, after a long test drive in both cars I wound up choosing the Maxima!  Honestly, both cars were very cool and there were some things I liked about both.  Here are my thoughts on both cars.  Please note, these are just my thoughts, I can honestly understand someone choosing the other car or the other two in my list. 

Volkswagen CC:

Strengths:
+ Overall styling: this car looks very cool from every angle.  It is a four door car that looks like a coupe. 
+ Interior: VW and Audi have some of the best interiors (IMO) in the industry.  The CC is no exception.  The interior was one of the nicest I have ever seen.  Seats were firm and attractive and controls were intuitive and high quality.  Interior was higher quality than the Maxima. 
+ Handling: very tight handling and responsive steering.  Tighter and more responsive than the Maxima.
+ Transmission: The 6 speed automatic is one of the smoothest shifting cars I have ever driven.  Shifting is so smooth you can barely feel or hear it shifting. 

Weaknesses:
- Poor rear visibility: that sloping roofline looks cool but it hurts visibility.  I'm sure you get used to it after time but it's kind've strange at first.
- Underpowered:  the 2.0T is a nice engine and it gets good mileage but it felt underpowered to me.  The salesperson said you can get the engine "chipped" by an aftermarket company (without affecting warranty) and gain at least 50 hp for a reasonable price. 
- Interior room: this car is a 4+4 (buckets front and back) which looks cool and sporty but it's not good if you have to fit three people in the back seat.  And the car has limited rear visibility. 

Nissan Maxima:

Strengths:
+ Powertrain: The CVT transmission is a bit strange but the engine is extremely powerful and quiet.  I was concerned about a 290hp front wheel drive car but you could not feel the engine in the steering at all.  The Maxima is not a lightweight but the 3.5L accelerates like a sportscar.
+ Handling: far from a sportscar, the steering was tight and the body had only a trace of roll around corners. 
+ Styling: this one is a bit of an acquired taste but it looks good to me from most angles. 
+ Interior: I originally wasn't thrilled with the interior (not a fan of most Japanese interiors) but this one is decent.  Not as cool or high quality as the VW but not bad.  The controls are intuitive, the seats are firm and solid. Also, the back seat is large enough to fit three people and there are no blind spots. Maybe it's not a strength but not bad. 
+ Trunkspace was much larger than the VW.

Weaknesses:
- Styling: okay, I know I said it was a strength but I can understand why some people feel negative about the looks of this car.
- Interior: same here, I had it listed as a strength but compared to the VW, this interior was just okay.
- CVT: I'm still not used to a car witout actual gears.  Kind've feels like a souped up golf cart.   

Please note, my decision was based on how I will be using the car.  I am going to be taking clients out and needed a large trunk and large back seat.  The VW had a smaller back seat and trunk, and did not have the power/acceleration of the Maxima.  In the end, I needed some practicality...the powerful engine just makes the practicality a bit easier to stomach. 

Will post pictures as soon as I get the car. 

Cheers,

J

pjchappy

« Reply #41 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:24 am »
Congratulations.  Hope you enjoy it. :thumb:

Give us a bit of a review in a few months.

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #42 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
Sounds like the smart choice for your need...way to think it thru, Jack :thumb:

Too often, car choices are voted on with body parts other than our brains :wink:

John

jackman

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:36 pm »
Update***

I just learned the lead time could be as long as six months for the Maxima.  I'm going to try to work something out but I may have to just pick another car.  This is frustrating but not too bad because it's still a free car!

Will update as soon as I have more info...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:54 pm »
Hm, just looked at VW cc.... it's a big car, 4300 lbs + automatic tranny is a little much for the 2.0L, maybe better suited for a Jetta with a manual tranny. Can you get the cc with the vr6 engine? That might be a better match....

jackman

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:22 pm »
Hm, just looked at VW cc.... it's a big car, 4300 lbs + automatic tranny is a little much for the 2.0L, maybe better suited for a Jetta with a manual tranny. Can you get the cc with the vr6 engine? That might be a better match....

Unfortunately no.  I was thinking the same thing and asked if I could have the CC with VR6 or with a turbo-diesel and they said no.  Six months is too long.  I'm going to see if I have any other options.

LadyDog

« Reply #46 on: 1 Sep 2010, 01:43 am »
Jack,
Take it the wait is for the 2011 model?  If want to make a trip to Indy, I saw 2 black ones at the local Nissan dealership the other weekend.   :wink:

Nels Ferre

« Reply #47 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:27 am »
Congrats on the new car. One thing about Nissans is that you must be careful about oil changes- the engines are notoriously hard on oil. Don't even think about 6 months/ 7500 miles on non synthetic oil- you will end up with sludge.

Check the forums at  this site:

Bobistheoilguy.com

Lots of good information- and the people there make  audio nuts look sane.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #48 on: 2 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm »
Congrats on the new car. One thing about Nissans is that you must be careful about oil changes- the engines are notoriously hard on oil. Don't even think about 6 months/ 7500 miles on non synthetic oil- you will end up with sludge.

Check the forums at  this site:

Bobistheoilguy.com

Lots of good information- and the people there make  audio nuts look sane.

He's apparently not getting the Nissan because of the 6 month wait for delivery.  However I'm a BITOG fan from many years ago, got about 90% of my lubrication knowledge from there, great site even with the new owners.

turkey

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2010, 01:10 pm »

It's a company car and it's probably leased. I see no advantage to him in replacing the oil more often than the manufacturer recommends.

I have a car with a Toyota engine, and it's one that so many people were getting all excited about regarding sludge.

I use whatever oil is on sale, of the weight recommended in my owner's manual, and with the current API service classification (it's SM right now). I change the oil every 6 months or 6000 miles, which is also what my owner's manual recommends. I do not use "synthetic" oils.

I have about 170,000 miles on the car and I haven't had any sludge problems.

You're welcome to spend more on oil, but I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth.

I wonder if synthetic oil will give my car a blacker background, less grain, more solid bass and sweeter highs? :)

ctviggen

« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2010, 01:30 pm »
On the other hand, I knew someone who had a Nissan Maxima and who changed his oil in accordance with the manual and got sludge.  Nissan gave him an incredibly hard time because he didn't have every receipt for every oil change.  I don't know the end result, as he quit and went to different job. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #51 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:51 pm »
It's a company car and it's probably leased. I see no advantage to him in replacing the oil more often than the manufacturer recommends.

I have a car with a Toyota engine, and it's one that so many people were getting all excited about regarding sludge.

I use whatever oil is on sale, of the weight recommended in my owner's manual, and with the current API service classification (it's SM right now). I change the oil every 6 months or 6000 miles, which is also what my owner's manual recommends. I do not use "synthetic" oils.

I have about 170,000 miles on the car and I haven't had any sludge problems.

You're welcome to spend more on oil, but I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth.

I wonder if synthetic oil will give my car a blacker background, less grain, more solid bass and sweeter highs? :)

Using synthetic oil is not only about reducing sludge problems, which are relatively rare despite TV commercials to the contrary.  What you are reducing by using a synthetic oil is engine wear, especially at the end of the OCI (oil change interval).  And because the synthetic oil lasts longer and is in better shape than a dino oil at the end of their respective lifetimes, it can cost less to use a synthetic oil.  This doesn't mean you can't get excellent service from a good quality standard oil, especially with regular oil changes.  BTW, the API certification has much more to do with emissions than the serviceability of the motor oil, you prolly get better lubrication from an SI or SL.  But this is all off topic so I should shut up.   :roll:  Best of luck with your high mileage vehicle.

CSI

« Reply #52 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:59 pm »
I've used Red Line, a premium synthetic, in my car since it was new. I think it is one reason why it runs like a swiss watch at 175,000 miles and, even more remarkably, why the oil remains clear until just before the next oil change. Having said all that, I still believe the best general advice about motor oil was once given on a local LA radio program, "The Car Show". When asked about the best kind of oil to use they replied, "Frequently changed".

srb

« Reply #53 on: 4 Sep 2010, 04:31 pm »
Marketed in Japan, this oil is said to make your engine purrr.... !

"Esso (before they were Exxon) once challenged drivers to "put a tiger in your tank" but times have changed. Today Sanrio suggests we put a Kitty in our crankcase. Yes indeed, Hello Kitty's license holder continues to break down every possible door in a push for world cuteness domination... and now, they're going for your dipstick!"

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #54 on: 5 Sep 2010, 12:42 am »
I've used Red Line, a premium synthetic, in my car since it was new. I think it is one reason why it runs like a swiss watch at 175,000 miles and, even more remarkably, why the oil remains clear until just before the next oil change. Having said all that, I still believe the best general advice about motor oil was once given on a local LA radio program, "The Car Show". When asked about the best kind of oil to use they replied, "Frequently changed".

Red Line is a great oil.  Add Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil to that list of premium products.  And you're also correct in nothing beating regular oil changes.  Just read a few of the UOA's (used oil analysis) on the BITOG site to see how much your oil degrades with use.

DACGuy

« Reply #55 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:38 pm »
MAX

viggen

« Reply #56 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:52 pm »
I used to really like Audi/VW cars but build quality and feel seem to have gone downhill during the 2000s.  I haven't driven one in 3-4 years though.  Back then, I blamed the Mexican manufacturing.  VW sales seemed to have suffered during the same time frame as well.

I kind of like the CC.  I just looked it up on Wiki and found it to be built in Germany if that means anything to you.

The chipping the 5 valve 4 cylinder VW/Audi engine thing was quite popular since the A4 first came out in 1996.  Not sure you want to do this to a company car, but I would if I were to purchase my own.  But, once you start modifying, you might not stop with just the chip...

jackman

« Reply #57 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:12 pm »
I am pushing to get it sooner. If I can't improve on the lead time, I will see if the vw has better Lear time the cc is a cool car and the chipped motor is supposed to be very fast.  I think the chipped version has a lot more boost in the turbo which could make for some fun driving.  I didn't mind the power when the turbo was engaged, it just lacked torque.  The chipped engine will not fix this problem.