Need new car advice

turkey

Re: Need new car advice
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:35 pm »
Its a company car folks!  He doesn't have to worry about the repair bills!!

I wasn't thinking of repair bills when I was talking about reliability. I was thinking about how much time the car would spend in the shop - even during a 2 or 3 year lease or whatever his company chooses.

CSI

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:38 pm »
I wasn't thinking of repair bills when I was talking about reliability. I was thinking about how much time the car would spend in the shop - even during a 2 or 3 year lease or whatever his company chooses.
I bought a used Infiniti Q45 in 1997 thinking I would drive it for a few years then get something newer. I still have it. At 165,000 miles it still hasn't developed a squeak or rattle. Maintenance has been minimal and major repairs have been non-existent. I'll soon have to get rid of it or spend some money on exterior paint and new upholstery. I'm thinking seriously of shooting for 250,000 miles. Based on my experience, Infiniti reliability (and longevity) are unrivaled.

mhconley

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm »
Between those four cars the choice is simple - BUY AMERICAN!  Personally you left out what would be my top choice - the Ford Fusion - either a V6 SEL or the Sport.  (I wouldn't own a hybrid anything even if you gave it to me.)

Martin 

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:22 pm »
Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I should have explained more clearly, this is a company car and my choices are limited to the ones given. The list changes from time to time but I don't think they are going to add anything sexy or sportier than the ones listed.
The only American ride on the list is the hybrid escape. I liked the escape I e had for the past nine months but id like to try something different. I'm not a hybrid fan and reliability is not a concern be use all of the cars on the list seem to be reliable. The choice comes down to the be and Nissan.  If the cc on the list was the high performance version it would be my top choice, I just wish it had more power because it's a heavy car. If it was the diesel version I would jump at it.

I hope to drive the cars this weekend and make a choice bwill keep you posted. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:28 pm »
Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I should have explained more clearly, this is a company car and my choices are limited to the ones given. The list changes from time to time but I don't think they are going to add anything sexy or sportier than the ones listed.
The only American ride on the list is the hybrid escape. I liked the escape I e had for the past nine months but id like to try something different. I'm not a hybrid fan and reliability is not a concern be use all of the cars on the list seem to be reliable. The choice comes down to the be and Nissan.  If the cc on the list was the high performance version it would be my top choice, I just wish it had more power because it's a heavy car. If it was the diesel version I would jump at it.

I hope to drive the cars this weekend and make a choice bwill keep you posted.

Jackman,

I strongly encourage you to drive the CC.  Don't let the 2.0 engine size fool you - it is getting good reviews.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/cc/2010/index.html

Readers/reviewers are very positive on the CC.

Here is what Edmunds says about the 2.0 engine:

Under the hood, the CC 2.0T's turbo-4 is smooth and vigorous, carving out an appealing performance niche between mainstream four-cylinder and V6-powered family sedans.

George

ricmon

« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:35 pm »
Believe it or not a buddy of mine who does car reviews had very positive things to say about the Ford.  The one thing that he really liked was the gas millage.

Ric

CSI

« Reply #26 on: 27 Aug 2010, 07:30 pm »
Believe it or not a buddy of mine who does car reviews had very positive things to say about the Ford.  The one thing that he really liked was the gas millage.

Ric
While we weren't looking, Ford has snuck past all the imports in terms of overall quality (according to J.D. Powers). When my Inifiniti wears out (if it ever does) I will be retired and on a fewer miles and lower income program. So one of the cars on my short list is the Fiesta. Cheap to buy, fun to drive, apparently high quality for the category and gets better mpg than most hybrids.

mcgsxr

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2010, 07:34 pm »
From those choices nothing would sway me from the Maxima, that is a great car.

CSI

« Reply #28 on: 27 Aug 2010, 07:42 pm »
From those choices nothing would sway me from the Maxima, that is a great car.

I'd have to agree. There is not a lot of difference between the Infiniti's (which I think may be the outstanding imports that don't cost a fortune) and the Nissans, other than styling. My neighbor just got a new Maxima and it is superb.

Kinger

« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2010, 08:26 pm »
Just purchased a Nissan Altima SEL last year and I love it.  Would have rather had the Maxima, but didn't have that kind of money :)  Nissan just had a more sporty feel behind the wheel than the Hondas and Toyotas I drove.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm »
Somehow I missed the company car line in the OP.  My bad. 

Drive 'em all, then decide.  The reliability and repair costs aren't an issue (I'm assuming).  I'd take the Maxima, hands down. 

VWs aren't a bad ride at all.  I like them in that regard better than the rest except the Maxima.  I'm glad no VW owners here had any issues.   I know a ton of VW owners (father's customers and not) that would trade places with you in a heartbeat.   My boss is one such person.  2 transmissions under warranty, and needs a new one now that the warranty is up.  Every 3 months or so, he needs about $500 worth of work done.  Good thing his mechanic is across the street from his house and let's him borrow a car he has for sale on the lot!

Just like the rest of them, he loves it when it's running right.  Key word being when. 

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:21 am »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank all of you for the suggestions and give you an update. I went to Nissan and vw dealershipss to see both cars up close. My son was with me and tired so I could not test drive either car.

All I can say is...yikes this is going to be tougher than I thought. The cc has a less powerful engine but the vw is so much nicer looking and solid feeling in person. In going to drive them tomorrow but at the moment u like the vw much more. IRS a very cool looking car. Nothing wrong with the Nissan but the styling and cheaper feeling interior has me thinking vw. Maybe the engine will change my mind. Will take pix and keep u posted.

Cheers

J

LadyDog

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:10 am »
Jack,
Let us know how the test drives work out.  As the others have mentioned, thankfully it is a win/win situation.

I own a Passat and have enjoyed it over the years.  Also had the pleasure of driving a CC for the weekend.  Nice car.  Love the styling.  While not a roadster per say, is more than quick enough with +/- 100 less horses than some of the others.  Has that great "German" ride.  A true "sports sedan".  Knock on wood, my Passat has been very reliable.  Other have not been so lucky though.

That said, the Maxima seems very appealing.  And seems to have gotten rave reviews.  Not driven one, but a friend owns a 09' and have been in quite a few times.  I'm impressed.  A definte step above the past few years and the last version.

Again, a no lose situation so you are sitting pretty.

Both will look pretty sweet with that Trek sitting on top or that back.   :wink:

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:20 am »
Thanks and sorry for all of the typos.  I'm using an iPhone and it occasionally autocorrects certain words.  I e only had the phone for a week but I really love it.  So far, it's way better than the blackberry it replaced.

Will take pix Of both cars tomorrow and post comments. Also, I have a fifty mile ride tomorrow and a century on sunday. Should be fun.

Cheers

J

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2010, 03:36 am »
Thanks and sorry for all of the typos.  I'm using an iPhone and it occasionally autocorrects certain words.  I e only had the phone for a week but I really love it.  So far, it's way better than the blackberry it replaced.

I'm about to ditch my 3rd continuous Blackberry for an iPhone4, too.  Good to hear of another happy transferee :thumb:

Email prowess is still behind the BB I'm told...but, it's still good enough and the rest of the iPhone package is fantastic so I'm gonna' take the plunge in a couple weeks, too.

Good luck on your new vehicle - my vote is for the Maxima or VW (that 4 cylinder turbo is fantastic and I read long ago that VW typically underrates them for their real power level for some reason).  So, it might not be so sluggish as you think - and the interior of VW/Audi's are superb  :thumb:

John

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:29 am »
The 2.0 turbo should be sweet, and have plenty of power. It is direct injection and runs a pretty high static compression ration for a turbo... I have a '10 WRX and cars with the 2.0 are not quite as fast, but they keep up surprisingly well... The new Maxima looks nice, but also looks bigger... a little too big for my tastes but I haven't drove one, that's what matters.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 28 Aug 2010, 06:15 am »
Jack....

If your going to spend a lot of time in this car....consider ride and comfort...not just speed. :wink:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm »

All I can say is...yikes this is going to be tougher than I thought. The cc has a less powerful engine but the vw is so much nicer looking and solid feeling in person. In going to drive them tomorrow but at the moment u like the vw much more. IRS a very cool looking car. Nothing wrong with the Nissan but the styling and cheaper feeling interior has me thinking vw. Maybe the engine will change my mind. Will take pix and keep u posted.

Cheers

J

Now you realize why we like VW's so much.  I have a 2004 Passat, the precursor to the CC, with the older 190hp V6 and have no need for more power, the turbo is 10 or so more horses with about the same torque.  The Maxima is not the same Maxima that won all of the accolades years ago, it's become a floaty boat.  If you prefer that type of ride, the Nissan is well appointed with a very nice engine.  The CVT tranny is an acquired taste, either you like them or you don't, but they are more in line with the floaty suspension, kinda takes the directness out of the feel. 

You will instantly know if you like the more buttoned down feeling in the German car, when you drive the two it shouldn't be difficult at all to find your preference.  Best of luck with whatever you choose.

geezer

« Reply #38 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:24 pm »
I can't tell you which of your choices to take, rather I'd prefer to suggest a process for deciding. It's the process I have long used with good results.

For example, when I face your problem, I first set my priorities. The parameters important to me, in order, are: safety, body type (e.g., suv, hatchback, etc.), reliability (i.e., least likely to break down), gas mileage, cost, interior space.

Then I turn to Consumer Reports test reports on the candidates, which provide specific values for the above criteria. This usually eliminates all but a couple. I then look into the extras, such as sound system, back-up camera, etc.

Finally, I take test rides.

Of course your priorities will be different than mine, but whatever they are, this process, I find, helps me to a decision that I am confident in.

And by the way, the Consumers Reports people will also be able to tell you, based on broadly-based polling, what you should be paying, in your region of the country, for the model you choose. (There are also other sources for cost information.)

pjchappy

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:12 am »
My vote goes for the Maxima.  Power, comfort, and reliability. . .

Paul