Need new car advice

jackman

Need new car advice
« on: 27 Aug 2010, 02:55 am »
Hi guys,

I need to pick out a company car and would appreciate some advice. I have to pick from the following cars (below). Please note, my decision criteria does not involve gas mileage or insurance rates. Here are the options:

Ford Escape hybrid with navigation,etc.
Toyota Camry hybrid loaded, leather seats with nab.
Volkswagen CC sport, leather seats a s 2.0 turbo and six speed automatic.
Maxima with sport suspension, 3.5L engine, nav, etc.

I am leaning towards the Maxima but looking for opinions. The hybrids are not interesting and there would be no savings because I don pay for gas, and I don't drive many miles anyway.

I drove the Maxima and like the handling and the engine. Plus it has a CCTV transmission and a large trunk. The CC is kindve a chick car (no?) and is underpowered. I like the Escape but just had one and want to try something different.

I can only choose among these four cars. Would any of you choose one of the other three cars?

Thanks

Jack

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Need new car advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:14 am »
I own a Toyota (Scion Xb) and love it, but I don't think the hybrid would perform as nice as the Maxima with the sport package, my brother owned a Maxima and loved it, I've never driven one myself but between those four I'm Maximizing my ride especially if its a company car...FWIW :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:29 am »
I'm an SUV guy and I'd personally go for the SUV.  Of course it depends on whether you would have use for it vs. a car like picking up stuff, driving it slippery weather, etc.  I like the view from up high too. If you're more into performance/handling then something like the Maxima would make sense.  I've gone through lots of cars including in the last 15 years a 1995 GMC Jimmy 2 door with off road suspension, a 1998 GMC Yukon, a Mercedes SLK 230, a Mercedes SL500, and Mercedes ML320, an Acura MDX and now I have a Honda CR-V.  I had both the SLK 230 and the SL500 with either the ML320 or the MDX at the same time.  So I've had fun to drive cars too.  Of course if it was a company car and I had my current vehicle, I might opt for the Maxima too

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:53 am »
Go for the Maxima.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:39 am »
I love my Volkswagen, but guess I'd go for the Maxima if all you can get is the 2.0 turbo.  It's a great motor in my Beetle but not enough for that big car.

Whatever you do, I'd pass on the Camry.  My mother in law has a new Camry and that is the most BORING car I've ever driven.  Even my mother in law who is not a car person hates it!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:44 am »
I used to have a 1994 Nissan Maxima that had clocked only 54,000KM. It drives and handles great; and sings when pushed. Solid feel on the road at 120km/h. Go for the Maxima  :D

Camry is horrible, built like a plastic toy. Brakes feel artificial.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2010, 10:12 am »
I'm an SUV guy and I'd personally go for the SUV.  Of course it depends on whether you would have use for it vs. a car like picking up stuff, driving it slippery weather, etc. 

SUVs are worse for slippery weather than cars.  They're much too heavy, so they take forever to stop.  They have a high center of gravity, which means they're more likely to roll over.  My front wheel drive car runs rings around my 4wd truck in any weather.  Plus, aside from picking up 4x8 sheets of drywall, I can fit everything in my FWD car.  If you get a car where the seats fold down, you can easily fit 8 foot pieces of wood, etc. I went to Home Cheapo the other day and with the 60/40 split in the back, I had my daughter in the 40 percent, strapped in her car seat, and had a roll of R-15 faced insulation, shelves, 8 foot metal shelving hold downs, 16 inch and 12 inch shelves and a ton of other stuff. 

The truck is better if the snow is very deep, say a foot or more.  The car doesn't have the ground clearance for that.  Otherwise, the car wins hands down.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2010, 10:36 am »
I'd say the Camry or Maxima. The Maxima's 3.5l engine should perform well and the sport suspension sounds nice with that engine.

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:27 pm »
I'd say the Camry or Maxima. The Maxima's 3.5l engine should perform well and the sport suspension sounds nice with that engine.

They should also both be more reliable than the other two. I've had very good luck with Toyota in the past, but maybe Nissan is worth trying again too.

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2010, 02:07 pm »
Thanks guys. Honestly, there is not a bad option in the group. I loved my escape and the camry is very solid and reliable.  I've looked at some reviews and think I will go with the maxima. It would be a tougher choice if the cc came with the bigger engine. I like the styling of the cc but that engine os too small for such a heavy car IMO.  Will post pix as soon as I get the car.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:05 pm »
hmmm...have you test driven any of the options? Go test drive them....then come back and tell us what you think. If I had the choice, it'd be between the VW and the Maxima. I'd have to look up the CC, if it's the one that came out last year, my husband wanted it really bad LOL...although he'd be fine with a maxima. Now, if you could drive the Altima Coupe.... :wink:

drphoto

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm »
The VW.  especially if you want something different. great looking car and I bet it handles better than any of the others.

chick car? this is a mid size sedan, not the convertible.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:43 pm »
The VW.  especially if you want something different. great looking car and I bet it handles better than any of the others.

chick car? this is a mid size sedan, not the convertible.

It is a very stylish car.  It would be my selection out of the available choices.

George

Mama Virtue

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:02 pm »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:08 pm »
My father is a foriegn car mechanic, and has owned his own garage for about 30 years now.  Some of his advice when I was looking for a car about 2 years ago...

Stay away from VW.  His hands down pick for the worst car on the road.  My uncle is a used car dealer, and he refuses to sell them due to way too many headaches.  They handle and perform pretty well, are comfortable and priced attractively.  Subaru is a distant 2nd on their list.

Neither have any issues with Nissan.  Very good cars that are worth their money.

My father and uncle's pick - Volvo and BMW.

If you can find a Volvo in your price range, test drive one.  You'll be very surprised by how the handle and perform.  I owned a few over the years.  My last one went 275,000 miles with no problems.  I give it to my younger brother, and he totaled it 2 weeks later.  It would have gone another 100k.  Volvos are a little more expensive parts wise, but no that much more.  I know several people with Volvos, and none have ever complained.

BMWs are great, but their parts are a bit over the top.

doorman

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:11 pm »
That Maxima interior screams cheap!
Too bad VW doesn't off their latest diesel in that platform--
( my TDI get >60 mpg)
Many folks would love to have your choices!
Best, Don

stereocilia

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:16 pm »
All good choices, but I'm partial to the CC.
My wife's 2.0T engine with DSG transmission in her passat wagon is quick and efficient.

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:17 pm »
Its a company car folks!  He doesn't have to worry about the repair bills!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:17 pm »
My father is a foriegn car mechanic, and has owned his own garage for about 30 years now.  Some of his advice when I was looking for a car about 2 years ago...

Stay away from VW.  His hands down pick for the worst car on the road.  My uncle is a used car dealer, and he refuses to sell them due to way too many headaches.  They handle and perform pretty well, are comfortable and priced attractively.  Subaru is a distant 2nd on their list.

Neither have any issues with Nissan.  Very good cars that are worth their money.

If you can find a Volvo in your price range, test drive one.  You'll be very surprised by how the handle and perform.  I owned a few over the years.  My last one went 275,000 miles with no problems.  I give it to my younger brother, and he totaled it 2 weeks later.  It would have gone another 100k.  Volvos are a little more expensive parts wise, but no that much more.  I know several people with Volvos, and none have ever complained.

Stu,

This is a company car and he needs to pick from the list.  BMW and Volvo aren't on the list.

Consumer Reports rates the CC as much better than average in terms of reliability and rates only a few sedans in its class higher.

Just another data point.

George

Mama Virtue

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm »

I owned a 2006 VW Jetta, loved it, had it for about 3 years and never really had any issues. However, I am now the proud owner of a 1996 Infiniti i-30 rust bucket (was a chicago car) with over 187,000 miles. We've had to shut up the exhaust/muffler and that's about it. Car starts every morning, air blows cold, even the heated seats work (not like we need them here). My sister owned a BMW, nothing but expensive maintenance on that car (course she drove it like a crazy person....) If I had the choice...I'd honestly have to flip a coin to figure out which one (Nissan/VW) I would pick. Like Doorman said, you're lucky to have the choice!