Linear Audio: a new printed tech audio publication!

janneman

Linear Audio: a new printed tech audio publication!
« on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:08 am »
Dear audio-friends,

Seeing that existing tech audio publications slowly dwindle away, I thought I’d do something about it!
I am publishing a dedicated, technical audio publication called ‘Linear Audio’. It will be an advert-free ‘bookzine’ published twice per year. Linear Audio Volume 0 will be published as of 1 September, and has 160+ pages of technical audio articles on solid state pre- and power amps, vacuum tube power- and low noise preamps, loudspeaker systems and stereo reproduction, audio transformers, book reviews, test equipment and more. The Volume 0 lineup includes articles by audio giants like Nelson Pass, Douglas Self, Bob Cordell, Tom Nousaine and Siegfried Linkwitz.

I have set up a dedicated website www.linearaudio.net where you can read all about Volume 0: table of contents, article abstracts, author bios.

is available worldwide through the website.

I also call on all prospective authors to submit articles for publication. Even if you haven’t published before, if you have an interesting project or idea, let me know and we’ll get your name in print!

Jan Didden
jan@linearaudio.net

Russell Dawkins

Re: Linear Audio: a new printed tech audio publication!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:45 am »
Fantastic!

We need this!

I will look forward to the first issue. Congratulations, Jan.

janneman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:06 am »
Thanks Russell!
It's exciting, also a bit scary  8)

My printer delivers Volume 0 this week and I'll be sending out orders next week!

jan

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:55 am »
Jan, how do you get the books to North America?  That is do you ship them individually or in bulk shipments?

janneman

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm »
So far, individually. If all of you want one  :) there may be a solution for lower shipping.

jan

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:38 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this. Watching audioXpress dwindle to near nothing has been painful. I placed my order for this yesterday so now the waiting begins. :)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:02 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this. Watching audioXpress dwindle to near nothing has been painful. I placed my order for this yesterday so now the waiting begins. :)
I agree, the good authors write less and less often.  Now a good part of the magazine is only available digitally on-line.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2010, 09:16 pm »
My copy of this arrived a few days ago. I've read perhaps 6 of the articles so far and am delighted with my purchase. I see a few new projects in my future. Thanks for all the efforts to put this together Jan, I hope sales are good and we can look forward to future editions. I look forward to seeing you next month at RMAF.  :thumb:

If you are at all into DIY, buy this. There is much to be learned and having a nicely bound, well printed book is a joy.

Mike G

janneman

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2011, 06:52 pm »
My copy of this arrived a few days ago. I've read perhaps 6 of the articles so far and am delighted with my purchase. I see a few new projects in my future. Thanks for all the efforts to put this together Jan, I hope sales are good and we can look forward to future editions. I look forward to seeing you next month at RMAF.  :thumb:

If you are at all into DIY, buy this. There is much to be learned and having a nicely bound, well printed book is a joy.

Mike G

Well Mike,
I'm proud to announce the 2nd issue, aptly called Linear Audio Volume 1  :D.

Linear Audio Volume 1 packs 180 pages of technical audio articles, and includes a high-efficiency class A power amp, low noise phono and mic preamp design, DSP-based and analog cross-overs, a review of feedback, passive component linearity measurements, book reviews and more. Volume 1 authors include Ian Hegglun, Douglas Self, Kendall Castor-Perry, Bruno Putzeys, Scott Wurcer and others. All article abstracts and author bio’s can be read at www.linearaudio.net .

Jan Didden
Linear Audio

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm »
Mine is on order and await it's arrival!   :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:33 am »
Mine is on order and await it's arrival!   :thumb:

Mine as well. :)

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:20 am »
The new issue arrived yesterday and I spent a bit of time reading last night. So far I'm delighted and will be ordering volume 2 if things continue going well for Jan.  :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2011, 06:36 pm »
I received both issues a few days ago, so I have some catching up to do.  My initial impression was that it might be too technical or me.  It's not light reading, but I've learned a lot from the two articles I've read.  So I'm looking forward to further exploration.

I'm hosting a DIY Audio seminar at THE Show Newport in June and I will show off both volumes when we discuss DIY Audio resources.

Russ

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2011, 06:49 pm »
Mine arrived a few days ago and is a great read for DIY items!   :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2011, 07:42 pm »
Is this available in PDF format?  If so, how can I get it?

If not, I would seriously consider making it available on iTunes, Zinio or Amazon for Kindle readers.  What you save on printing and shipping would make up for the percentage digital delivery takes.

Looks like what you are doing is a lot of fun, I'll be happy to spread the word for you!

janneman

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:17 pm »
I'm thinking of making a kindle-type issue available. Haven't figured out the security stuff yet.
Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

jan didden

janneman

Linear Audio vol 2 & 3
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:12 pm »
Hi all,

I haven't posted here for some time but I've been busy: Linear Audio Vol 2 & Volume 3 have been published.
I have revamped the website at linearaudio.net; you can read article abstracts, contents and author bios there as usual.
At the moment I'm busy getting Volume 4 ready to go on the streets 1 September!

Comments invited,

jan didden

richidoo

Back Issue sale on Linear Audio magazine
« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:12 am »
Just got an email from Elektor, the Linear Audio publisher. Back issues of Linear Audio available for a bundle price. Buy all 4 issues for the price of 3, until Sept 10, 2012 or the first 30 orders.

http://www.elektor.com/products/combi/audio/linear-audio-bundle.35.2253079.lynkx

janneman

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2012, 06:30 am »
A minor correction: Elektor are not the Linear Audio publishers. I am  :wink:
But they do sell Linear Audio and this is a special offer (4 for the price of 3) that we worked out.

BTW Volume 4 just got out on the streets 1 September.

jan didden
Linear Audio
editor/publisher

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2012, 06:34 am »
Interesting, and I'd love to have the first issues. Subscribed.