Led Zepplin marathon

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Led Zepplin marathon
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:21 am »
I enjoy listening to either band from time to time, I do not really consider myself a huge fan of LZ or PF. However, I would agree with you that PF is a superior group - I think that they have much greater “depth.”

Be well...

Have you listened to "Dazed and Confused" by Zeppelin? You might like it, it's pretty dark.

ctviggen

« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:43 am »
Have you listened to "Dazed and Confused" by Zeppelin? You might like it, it's pretty dark.

About a million times. The radio station I used to listen to played Zep every third song, interspersed by Freebird. I can no longer listen to LZ, PF, the Beatles, Boston, etc. because of that.  If LZ or the Beatles come on the radio or satellite, I immediately change the station. 

1oldguy

« Reply #42 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
I enjoy listening to either band from time to time, I do not really consider myself a huge fan of LZ or PF. However, I would agree with you that PF is a superior group - I think that they have much greater “depth.”

Be well...

I laundrew ....Think of it this way for but a moment.If PF tried to play songs in the style of LZ it would never be that great.And the reverse is true.LZ would never do what PF can.Well they could but neither band would live up to it;s true potential.Both bands may be in the rock isle but that's as far as it goes.They are shooting for a completely different way of approaching music.The idea of comparing them is like an apples to oranges thing or square block in a round hole kinda deal.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #43 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:16 pm »
About a million times. The radio station I used to listen to played Zep every third song, interspersed by Freebird. I can no longer listen to LZ, PF, the Beatles, Boston, etc. because of that.  If LZ or the Beatles come on the radio or satellite, I immediately change the station.

I can understand how you feel about Boston.  They basically play one song (okay maybe 2) over and over on their two albums. :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:20 pm »
The idea of comparing them is like an apples to oranges thing or square block in a round hole kinda deal.

It wasn't meant as comparison so much as that PF is arguably the greatest band of the 70's - and not LZ as the OP suggested.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #45 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
It wasn't meant as comparison so much as that PF is arguably the greatest band of the 70's - and not LZ as the OP suggested.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people and sources will disagree with that one.  Rolling Stone's Top 100 Artists of all time:

Led Zeppelin - 14
Pink Floyd - Not on the list

Its a stupid list, and a stupid point to argue.  Give it a rest.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #46 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm »

I am the same way with a certain advertiser on AM640 and AM680 - whenever I here "hear"  :duh: the first couple of words from this particular advertiser at the start of his commercial,  I either change stations or turn the radio off. 

Be well...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #47 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:02 pm »
I laundrew ....Think of it this way for but a moment.If PF tried to play songs in the style of LZ it would never be that great.And the reverse is true.LZ would never do what PF can.Well they could but neither band would live up to it;s true potential.Both bands may be in the rock isle but that's as far as it goes.They are shooting for a completely different way of approaching music.The idea of comparing them is like an apples to oranges thing or square block in a round hole kinda deal.

Great point 1oldguy  :thumb:

Remember, there is always a bright side to everything. If you are determined enough to put a square peg into a round hole, you will eventually invent something very useful - the dowel  :thumb: :wink:

Be well...

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #48 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm »
I agree with STU let's give it a rest and let this thread die a quick painless death.  No way to argue who is best when it comes to taste.  Some of us have great taste  :thumb: and some not so much  :rotflmao:.  I just took exception to the fact that someone called them overrated.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #49 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:15 am »
Arguing which band is better reminds me of when I rocked a mullet back in 7th/8th grade.  Metallica vs Megadeth vs Slayer.   Crap hair metal like Motley Crüe vs thrash metal.  It's as mature today as it was back then. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #50 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:15 am »
True.

Mag

« Reply #51 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:31 am »
I had a good laugh, on the Led Zeppelin DVD, in the extras. They show a clip in Tous En Scene, France, 1969. Its a small intimate crowd between 300 to 500 people surrounding a close oval stage, and it looks like there might have been a symphony orchestra on stage prior to LZ, as they are now in the crowd watching.

Zep plays Communication Breakdown and an almost flawless performance of Dazed & Confused. The faces on most of the people in the crowd is one of shock and dis-belief, in this new hard rock style, others with keen interest. The symphony band looks like they vacated the building prior to Jimmy bringing out the bow for Dazed & Confused.

Little did they know they were listening to a band, that looked like losers, that was to sell more recordings than an other band except for the Beatles. 8)

decal

« Reply #52 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:22 am »
Top Ten Selling Artists according to RIAA

Position    Artist                       RIAA certified sales(in millions)
1.           The Beatles               176                         
2.           Garth Brooks              128
3.           Elvis Presley               121.5
4.           Led Zeppelin              111.5
5.           Eagles                      100
6.           Billy Joel                    79.5
7.           Barbara Streisand       71.5
8.           AC/DC                      71               
9.           Elton John                 70
10.         Michael Jackson         69.5

To see where your favorite artist ranks go to  riaa.com

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #53 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:24 am »
I never listened to Led Zeppelin seriously until I was in my 40's.    In my book, John Paul Jones is the best musician of the bunch.  I always felt that Jimmy Page was overrated as a guitarist.  One reason I didn't listen the LZ when I was young was all the crap about how great Page was.  I can listen to Zeppelin in small to medium doses.

My favorite Zeppelin tunes are:

The Lemon Song
Achilles Last Stand
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone

I like Zeppelin okay, but there are a number of bands that I enjoy a lot more.

HsvHeelFan

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #54 on: 26 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm »
Again (and I am starting to feel like the overrated police here).  When I hear someone tell me Page is overrated as a guitarist it justs SCREAMS to me and everyone else that the person making this statement is not a musician.  The depth of his material the innovations, and just try to cover it.  I will leave it at that.

95Dyna

« Reply #55 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:14 pm »
Led Zepplin was the greatest rock band of the 70's?..........I would beg beyond belief to differ.......take away Stairway to heaven and you have a band that would have been half as popular as their were...esp among mainstream radio play in the 70's,but of course mainstream radio play means nothing in reguard to talent and Led zep did have talent of course,but i guess ive always felt they were overrated.
I may have to borrow a friends copy of the track/dvd  you are talking about to hear how it sounds ..........from what your saying it sounds like the DVD and or CD  was recorded very well.....especially played thru the BCD-1.

Volks, I'm not picking on you just using your post as an example as to why it seems many of you were in diapers when Led Zeppelin emerged in 1969.  I offer as proof that we have a three page thread that makes little or  no mention of arguably their best album, the first.  No mention of the two turbo charged arrangements of Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me" and "I Can't Quit You".  And then there is "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" among others.

Since we're on the subject of talent and whether or not it's overrated, give a listen to Robert Plant with Alison Krauss on their collaboration "Raising Sand".  Anybody who can hang with Alison for an entire 180 gram virgin vinyl double album can't possibly be overrated. :D

Mag

« Reply #56 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:22 pm »
I played In-a-godda-da-vida for a friend awhile back, who plays the guitar. When it was finished I was expecting him to comment on how good it sounded. Instead he commented on how good the guitar player was, and the guitarist was only like 19 years old at the time it was recorded. 8)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #57 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:50 pm »
Again (and I am starting to feel like the overrated police here).  When I hear someone tell me Page is overrated as a guitarist it justs SCREAMS to me and everyone else that the person making this statement is not a musician.  The depth of his material the innovations, and just try to cover it.  I will leave it at that.

Let me clarify my statement on Jimmy Page.  In the 70's around here,  people were saying  Jimmy  Page was the greatest guitar player of all time.  I don't think he was and still don't.  Jimmy Page is a great guitar player, just not the greatest ever, in my book.  He's probably in my top 10, but he's certainly not number 1.

There have been a lot of great guitar players in lots of different genres.  I'll leave it at that.

HsvHeelFan