« Reply #100 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:43 pm »
Well nuts!

Russellc

strider

Re: Is anyone building the DIY Pass F-5
« Reply #101 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:18 am »
Well nuts!

Russellc

Yeah, it sucks, but it serves as a reminder to me to go slower and be more deliberate. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe I shoulld have built the simpler PD boards first, and then progressed to the cviller and it's various configurations.

I will actually mount the amp boards to the heatsink this time. Is there a way to check the MOSFETs etc for damage? R11/12/13 are all directly connected to Q3/Q4 and while I didn't see any smoke or glowing from the MOSFETs I'm still concerned. Aside from that, I'm headed to Mouser to get an order together.....

Russellc

strider

« Reply #103 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:14 am »
Awesome. That thread has me written all over it.

Thanks again Russell,

Ben
Here you go:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/181625-your-f5-blew-up-now-what-do-you-do.html

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #104 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:31 pm »
Likely your mosfets are OK.  But check.  Westend glowed his resistors, I think he said they almost unsoldered themselves, and they actually still measured fine, albeit discolored.  I dont know if the Daniels boards are any less complicated, but there arent options for dual pairs and so forth.  About the only options are what parts to populate with, (resistor pads are smaller and many resistors must be stood up soldier style, no biggie) and whether or not to use the current limiting.

I like the Daniels boards and have stocked up on a few sets, and a few extra sets of J-fets, I want this amp to run forever!  That said, I have ordered a set of the Cviller 2.0 boards for a dual pair build...

Also snagged boards for a Burning Amp-2...
Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #105 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:38 pm »
Anyone wanting to build, (and yes you should) ought to do two things NOW:

Buy a set of boards while available, and buy the small J-fets while they can still be had.  A few, (Spencer) over on DIYAudio.com have them.  These are no longer being made, another company is making the SK170, but no compliment yet....GET them NOW!   Or wait until the new part comes out.

Russellc

limits

« Reply #106 on: 22 Mar 2011, 05:31 pm »
Hi Russell/Everyone:

Please keep me posted on the BA-2 build. I am getting together parts for a build myself. It seems details of this build are not as clear to me over at DIYAudio as some of the others there (even considering the BA series is fairly new).

I still need to order heatsinks, enclosures (I am planning to build monoblocs), and various Digikey bits, but cheated a little and went with tech-diy for the majority of the board-stuffing parts.

parodielin

« Reply #107 on: 22 Mar 2011, 06:16 pm »
Where to get a reasonable priced heatsinks for F5?  I think I almost pulled the trigger last time.  I plan to use:

- Boards from DIYAudio store
- Tech-DIY kits
- eBay Power Supply
- Antek Transformer

So all left are enclosure and heatsink.  I prefer not to go to Australia to buy heatsinks.... ;)

Hi Russell/Everyone:

Please keep me posted on the BA-2 build. I am getting together parts for a build myself. It seems details of this build are not as clear to me over at DIYAudio as some of the others there (even considering the BA series is fairly new).

I still need to order heatsinks, enclosures (I am planning to build monoblocs), and various Digikey bits, but cheated a little and went with tech-diy for the majority of the board-stuffing parts.

limits

« Reply #108 on: 22 Mar 2011, 06:34 pm »
Hi parodielin:

I think this enclosure with heat sink might work (not the prettiest, but...):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Amp-Amplifier-DIY-HiFi-Case-Heatsink-Kit-17125N-/250790615793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64491af1

limits

parodielin

« Reply #109 on: 22 Mar 2011, 08:14 pm »
Wow, that's really helpful, thanks a lot!  Now I'm almost ready to build the F5.  If I want to do Mono, do I need two power supplies and two transformers?

Are there any other place I can source power supply boards except eBay?

Hi parodielin:

I think this enclosure with heat sink might work (not the prettiest, but...):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Amp-Amplifier-DIY-HiFi-Case-Heatsink-Kit-17125N-/250790615793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64491af1

limits

limits

« Reply #110 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:20 pm »
Hi parodielin:

I am not very familiar with the F5 boards (whether or not they can be cut in half if going the monobloc route), so I will let those in the know answer this one. This is what I am planning on doing for the BA-2 (using the cviller/DIY Audio boards). Peter Daniel may be another option.

I have two Antek 6218s waiting to be used. If building monos, I would definitely use two transformers, but you could use the 4218s or 5218s. The 6218s are overkill, but what the hey...

I doubt I will use the case with heatsink I linked to, because I only need one heatsink per case. I will probably order from heatsinkusa (barredboss on ebay, I believe), and piece together two cases using heatsink, sheet aluminum, and angle aluminum.

Best of luck; Always enjoy pictures of others' work.

limits

Russellc

« Reply #111 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:21 pm »
Peter Daniels supplies a nice one, and cviller does too.

russellc

Russellc

« Reply #112 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
Hi parodielin:

I am not very familiar with the F5 boards (whether or not they can be cut in half if going the monobloc route), so I will let those in the know answer this one. This is what I am planning on doing for the BA-2 (using the cviller/DIY Audio boards). Peter Daniel may be another option.

I have two Antek 6218s waiting to be used. If building monos, I would definitely use two transformers, but you could use the 4218s or 5218s. The 6218s are overkill, but what the hey...

I doubt I will use the case with heatsink I linked to, because I only need one heatsink per case. I will probably order from heatsinkusa (barredboss on ebay, I believe), and piece together two cases using heatsink, sheet aluminum, and angle aluminum.

Best of luck; Always enjoy pictures of others' work.

limits

You dont have to cut anything in half.  An Amp (stereo) consists of two boards, one for each channel.  Of course, you will need two chassis.

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #113 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
The daniels or Cviller boards are not what you need for BA-2 (or BA-1) you need the BA boards.  They are available again on DIYAudio in their "store" however you will have to back order the driver board, which have sold out again. :duh:

russellc

limits

« Reply #114 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:31 pm »
Hi Russell:

I was referring to the BA gain stage board (BAGS), which I will cut in half...I already have the 5 boards from their store; Now I just need to make them into six..The are nice quality. In the past, I was always hesitant to use PCBs, but I built a Nelson Pass B1 using his PCB, and it turned out great and in the end was a lot quicker going, as I wasn't obsessing over part placement.

sts9fan

« Reply #115 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm »
Maybe someone here can tell me what my issue is.  Here is a picture of the P2P PS I put together.  There are resistors between the caps I just did not draw them.

So whenever I connect B and C as I think I should to form the return I blow the fuse when I reach 40vac with my variac.  Without them (B,C) connected I get 24vdc across A to D, 24vdc accross A to B, 24vdc across B to C and 24vdc across C to D.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?  Does this PS need to be attached to the load?  I can maybe post pics later.

Thanks

Russellc

« Reply #116 on: 23 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm »
Hi Russell:

I was referring to the BA gain stage board (BAGS), which I will cut in half...I already have the 5 boards from their store; Now I just need to make them into six..The are nice quality. In the past, I was always hesitant to use PCBs, but I built a Nelson Pass B1 using his PCB, and it turned out great and in the end was a lot quicker going, as I wasn't obsessing over part placement.

OH, I see what you are saying now.  It just now occurred to me their is only a single front end board, so this may be a problem.  I'm still buried in 2-3 projects before the burning amp build begins.  It should be a journey, beginning with a straight forward build, then mutating into a cascoded front  end, ramped up B+ and some extra output boards.  F-5 number two, Pearl 2, mini Aleph and big Aleph are all piles of parts and boards.  There is also a Bride of Zen and Zen boards that have stared at me since the 90's!

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #117 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:12 pm »
Maybe someone here can tell me what my issue is.  Here is a picture of the P2P PS I put together.  There are resistors between the caps I just did not draw them.

So whenever I connect B and C as I think I should to form the return I blow the fuse when I reach 40vac with my variac.  Without them (B,C) connected I get 24vdc across A to D, 24vdc accross A to B, 24vdc across B to C and 24vdc across C to D.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?  Does this PS need to be attached to the load?  I can maybe post pics later.

Thanks

Let me get home tonight and stare at mine a minute. If you are measuring between your "A" and "D" you should be getting double the rail, around 48v, maybe 50 or so with no load.  Between your "A" and ground you should get around 23-24v, and between your "D" and ground you should have the same.  I dont see how you could be getting what you are when you measure between "A" and "D".....

Ruissellc

Russellc

« Reply #118 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:14 pm »
Just for grins, could you draw in the resistors as you have them mounted?  I dont remember if you used a power supply board?  remind me of what makes up your power supply please.

Russellc

sts9fan

« Reply #119 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:28 pm »
I built it point to point.  I will measure it again tonight.