Fender, or other guitar peeps, what did I buy?

gprro

Fender, or other guitar peeps, what did I buy?
« on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:43 pm »
Bought this from a friend of a friend yesterday. Just hanging out at the pool, and overhear them talking about a fender strat that is one of their fathers, and was going to put it on craigslist for $300 or $350, but would sell it to my friend for $250. Both are musicians, but neither is an electric player. I'm interested, as I've been wanting to buy an electric for a while. End up looking at it a few hours later, and bought it. It looked too nice, almost new. I've done some googling and turns out, I think is a 1994-95 fender japan strat. Foto flame, natural model. From what I've read, they seem to be really good. Just curious if anyone knows about these. I'll probably end up on guitar forums now too :lol: here's a couple crappy iPhone pics...

Wayner

Re: Fender, or other guitar peeps, what did I buy?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:07 pm »
If you pump in the serial number of the guitar at Fender's website, it will give you all the info you are looking for.

Wayner

gprro

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:22 pm »
Yeah, did that, gave me the 1994-95 japan :thumb: Was more curious about the electronics and pic ups, and if I should look at replacing or upgrading anything, and actual value too. There are a couple good guitar shops in the area, next monday I might take it in to one of them. Just looking for some outside input before then.

Thanks,
Giyan

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:26 pm »
Yeah, did that, gave me the 1994-95 japan :thumb: Was more curious about the electronics and pic ups, and if I should look at replacing or upgrading anything, and actual value too. There are a couple good guitar shops in the area, next monday I might take it in to one of them. Just looking for some outside input before then.

From what I remember, they're pretty decent.

If I were you, I'd do nothing more than put some new strings and some Martin guitar polish on it for now. Play it for a while and see what you think. You can always change things, but it's hard to unspend the money once you've bought new pickups or whatever. :)

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:37 pm »
I have a 50th anniversary Japanese Tele, that is a very wonderful guitar. Many claim they were better then the American version. I'm keeping mine original.

Wayner

gprro

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:57 pm »
Cool, I don't think I'll be replacing anything unless needed then, I'm going to borrow an amp from my mom. She was a classical guitarist in and after college for a little. A few years back she bought a used epi les paul that was pretty crappy and a decent marshall mini stack. Weird though, to come home from school and find your mom with an electric and asking you about Alice in Chains  :lol:. The amp never got much use, so i'll have to "borrow" it for a little. I'm pretty clueless on guitar. Remember few chords from years back. I did play violin for 10 years, hope it translates somehow...

Giyan

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:58 pm »
gprro-just remember if you take it out for a little show'n'tel to your local music store they may say its worth XYZ when in fact its worth more, restring it, play it, play it some more, then play some more....like others have mentioned I wouldn't do anything to it right away...check into it and then see what changes if any suit your style or ears...Thats is one sharp looker for sure, I'm thinking you got a great deal myself, but I'm a tub thumper so what do I know---LOL!!!! Enjoy, shine it up and shred it!!!

decal

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:04 pm »
Many claim they were better then the American version.

Nice guitar though I have to disagree with the quote above.But hey,that's just me !!! Enjoy. :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

gprro

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:12 pm »
gprro-just remember if you take it out for a little show'n'tel to your local music store they may say its worth XYZ when in fact its worth more, restring it, play it, play it some more, then play some more....like others have mentioned I wouldn't do anything to it right away...check into it and then see what changes if any suit your style or ears...Thats is one sharp looker for sure, I'm thinking you got a great deal myself, but I'm a tub thumper so what do I know---LOL!!!! Enjoy, shine it up and shred it!!!

Absolutely, no plan to sell it. As far as shredding, I'll be shredding some twinkle twinkle little star or something  :lol:, thats what we started on violin. I hope my buddy decides to get a bass and learn that, hang out and try to figure them out at the same time. When I feel worthy, i'll go searching for that 64' Tennessean I drooled over a while back.

-Giyan

gprro

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:17 pm »
I think I'll have a set up done though. The E string I think, top string, vibrates on one fret if you give it a decent pluck.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:47 pm »
Generally some fool starts fooling with the bridge height and soon you have fret buzz. Or/plus one of the frets has worked out a tad. At any rate, this is a nice guitar and I would take it to a trusted guitar shop and have a trusted techy go thru the frets, adjust the neck if required, put some new strings on it and have the lower/upper bridge looked at and/or adjusted. Perhaps spray the controls with some Caig De-oxit 5 and be done with it.

Wayner

gprro

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm »
Sounds like a plan! I think I'm lucky enough to have a couple good local shops, as well as the big box sam ash and guitar centers. Raleigh area. Local smaller shops that look good, or at least talk a good game on their web sites are...
http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/
http://www.harrysguitarshop.com/
http://www.carrloft.net/Welcome.html
There are a few others also, but i hear these come up often.

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm »
Nice snag! I pretty much agree w/ Wayne. Those Jap strats are fine pieces. dunno about better than the ones from California, but better than the Mexi versions from that era. (supposedly the Mexi's have gotten much better in the past few years)

Yep, take it to a good shop for setup on frets, bridge height, intonation, etc. If you're not a 'player', I sure as hell wouldn't worry about the pickups. Looks like it has the vintage style, split top tuning pegs. Love those. Super easy to change strings. Almost as easy as spurzel style lockers. I've got 'em on my '57 Reissue and it stays in tune very well. 'course I don't do any whammy bar dive bombs.

pjchappy

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm »
Yep, take it to a good shop for setup on frets, bridge height, intonation, etc. If you're not a 'player', I sure as hell wouldn't worry about the pickups. Looks like it has the vintage style, split top tuning pegs. Love those. Super easy to change strings. Almost as easy as spurzel style lockers. I've got 'em on my '57 Reissue and it stays in tune very well. 'course I don't do any whammy bar dive bombs.

I recommend you eventually learn to do a basic set-up yourself (intonation; neck adjustment; string height/saddle adjustment).  That way, you can set it up to your liking and save yourself a few bucks.  With that rosewood fingerboard, I would oil it twice a year.  You can get specific oil for guitars, such as that made by Dunlop.  However, I think you can just use lemon oil (then wipe off the excess).  I know that's what Carvin recommends.

Nice guitar, by the way!  I would leave it as re swapping any parts out.  I got 2 Strats and want another.  I'll buy it from you today, site-unseen, if you're up for selling it. :thumb: (not kidding, by the way).

Paul

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm »
I'm still a fairly new guitar player. You don't HAVE to start out learning 'folk' type songs in open position, like most people do. I learned like a teenager, by playing power and barre chords right off the bat. I could play Green Day before I could play "Twinkle, Twinkle". Of course, it would be best to learn both approaches, as you'll need everything down the road.

I'm just now getting into lead stuff, like trying to learn David Gilmore solos. I'm never gonna be a musician, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I would say learning to play rhythmically and in time is the key to making music, and not just noise.

cheers mate

gprro

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:59 pm »
pjchappy,

Haha, no I'm pretty happy with it. I have a feeling I couldn't get a better instrument for near the same money :green:. I'm going to dig in and learn everything about it, and eventualy figure out my own set up. I've always wanted to be able to build or work on intruments, so nows a good chance to figure a little out. I need to learn the sunburst staining process too for a future speaker kit idea I have (gr super v's with a custom shape side panel with sunburst patern!)

A few more pics, first is the bad case it came with, it's kind of so odd, that I like it a little though. A nice fender tweed case would be cool though..

Thanks for all the input so far!

gprro

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2010, 11:03 pm »
drphoto,

yeah, I'm going to start with stuff I like, and maybe some chord charts and progressions too, hopefully I'll be joining you in some Gilmour solos soon!

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:05 am »
Check out justinguitar.com/ for some great online lessons. This guy's helped me a lot.

There are still tabs at "ultimate-guitar.com", but as Justin says, the best way to learn is to work it out by ear.

bside123

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2010, 09:05 am »
drphoto,
yeah, I'm going to start with stuff I like, and maybe some chord charts and progressions too, hopefully I'll be joining you in some Gilmour solos soon!

gprro: I throw my hat into the ring with Wayner and the others who advise you NOT to alter the guitar. IMO, do not mess with the guitar. As it seems you're planning to, get some help from a local guitar shop, or a knowledgable guitar buddy, and then clean, set-up the guitar, string it and just play it. Play it a whole lot. Play it some more. By playing the guitar, it will lead you to the next step. By the way, if the back of the neck is stamped "Made in Japan" on the heel, which it is, and the guitar was manufactured in the Tokai factory... then you have a very nice Strat. Tokai Fenders are recognized and respected across the board as some of the best of the Japanese and off-shore Fenders, making them somewhat collectible. This could mean that your guitar is worth much, much more than you paid for it. To give you an idea... I had a Tokai Tele some years back (nice guitar!) and I when I finally traded it, I got about a $1,000. Contact Fender to find out where your guitar was actually manufactured. You've got a nice Strat; the Rosewood fingerboard is great... nice tone. Hold on to your guitar, and play it, play it, play it. :thumb:

turkey

« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:53 pm »
yourself a few bucks.  With that rosewood fingerboard, I would oil it twice a year.  You can get specific oil for guitars, such as that made by Dunlop.  However, I think you can just use lemon oil (then wipe off the excess).  I know that's what Carvin recommends.

After some bad experiences with gunk that the local music stores recommended, I got some Fret Doctor. It seems to be working really well without building up or attracting lots of dust and grime.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

My Dad was a part-time cabinetmaker, and I once talked to him about "lemon oil." He said it was just a lemon-scented petroleum distillate, and was horrible for wood and finishes.